Full Project – The impact of production planning and control on a manufacturing process
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Production planning deals with the determination, acquisition and arrangement of all facilities necessary for future manufacturing operations. The process involves also the allocation and scheduling of the resources to produce the desired goods and services in the required amounts at minimum total cost (that is, determining start, completion and delivery time) machine loading and also storage and handling items.
Effective production planning and control depends on information, meaning that production planning should take awareness of change in both the environment and within the organization. This is because changes in the environment impose change in the organization.
An effective production planning and control should know at any point in time the following questions:
- How work is done?
- Which machines are being used?
- How much labor is available?
- What raw materials and other inputs are currently in the stock, interruption may result from none or late delivery of materials, Machine breakdown, strikes and staff lateness due to public transport difficulties.
Breakdown in communication between the shop floor and the controlling unit will delay product. This has to be a continuous flow of information on workload, raw material availabilities and maintenance activities. Activities relevant to production includes design specification of dimensions, materials inputs and quality, ensuring the compatibility of one component with the others, description, issuing detailed instruction to supervisors, inspections, quality control, packaging, loading and dispatch.
Therefore this study explain why Nigerians firm fail to follow the rule of production planning and control. And also to know what manufacturing firms encounter in their attempt to carry out their production planning and control.
The firms that does not plan and control their production can be faced with the following problems:
- Inadequate sources of raw material
- Shortage of labor force
- Breakdown in machines used in the organization.
- Communications breakdown.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Production planning is subject to complex movement of items between work unit and operations, and it is easy for batches mistakenly to be broken up, machine loading can be complicated, also further difficulties that affect production planning and control are
- It might not be possible to avoid particular batches lying around for long periods between operations.
- Materials can fail to arrive at specific work points preventing the processing of work in progress and causing great descriptions to the entire system.
- Extensive documentation movement of batches around a factory may be required.
- Frequent movement of goods and material creates the need for the storage of items in many places and of many places and of many times during the production process.
- Coupling with a breakdown in the system this will cause to operate in its entirely following just a minor hold-up. Input materials will have to be put into storage while the stoppage is sorted out.
- Arranging the housing of the flow of output, especially when customers demand is low. When batches planning for continuous flow of production is perhaps easier than that of items involved because of less detailed, scheduling (and associated paper work) is required. There is a single low of work through the system, changes to which after simple to implement on the other hand, planning for continuous production is inflexible in that labour and other resources cannot readily by re-delayed among difference machines in the event of a breakdown.
1.3 THE OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY.
- To determine the effects of poor scheduling in meeting jobs completion times.
- To examine the rules adopted in job loading and their impact on job flows.
- To identify the specific routine procedures adopted by the firm and the overall impact on production process.
- To investigate whether the system of production planning and control is widely practiced among Nigerian firms.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- Does poor scheduling has any effect on the productivity of manufacturing firms?
- Are there rules for job loading in manufacturing firms?
- Are there steps involved in the overall impact of production process?
- Is the system of production planning effective in the Nigeria manufacturing firms?
1.5 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESES
Ho: The poor scheduling has no significant effect on the productivity of the manufacturing firms.
Hi: The poor scheduling has significant effect on the productivity of the manufacturing firms.
Ho: There is no rule for job loading in manufacturing firms.
Hi: There is rule for job loading in a manufacturing firm.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY.
The significant of this study is hopefully believe to be a useful and unavoidable guide for future decision makers and serve as a bench mark for future research students and other entrepreneur in the field production planning and control.
It will also be beneficial to business, organization etc. In restructuring future planning and control in production aspect. This work will also enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of manufacturing firms, in other to meet their customer’s needs and demands.
This work will also be of benefit to recommend way through which the organization could reduce production cost to its best level in other to achieve its desired profit level.
- SCOPE/DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY/IMITATION OF THE STUDY.
This research work is an indebt on production planning and control impact in a manufacturing firm, using Nigeria Bottling Company Aba, as a case study.
THE NIGERIA BOTTLING COMPANY ABA
This study will cover the entire production planning and control departments. The various sub-sections in the department shall from nucleus of the study and all their subordinates that are related.
The limitation of the study is within the reach of the selected case study due to some factors, the factors are as follow lack of sufficient finance, the work were limited to some extent because of poor finance and high cost of transport, there was no time to carry out all the research work as such. The fact were not gotten as at when needed.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- PRODUCTION: This is the process of co-coordinating man, materials and machine to create physical goods and services that will satisfy human wants and needs.
- PRODUCTION PLANNING: This is the regulation, coordination and control of production facilities so as to meet a set delivery data at a reasonable cost.
- PRODUCTION CONTROL: This is the function of directing or regulating the orderly movement of goods through the entire manufacturing cycle from the requisition of the raw materials to the delivery of the finished products to meet the objective of the customer services, minimum manufacturing efficiency.
- MANUFACTURING PROCESS: It is defined as any organization or an arrangement that convert raw materials into finished products (input process and output process ) of direct materials, direct labour and factor overhead cost that have been accumulated some natural classification and allocation so as to reject the cost involved in the production of an item.
- SCHEDULING: A scheduling is a program of activities to determine the production of a particular term of specific times, accompanied by list of priorities and contingencies for when things do not work it as intended.
- MACHINE LOADING: Machine loading decision concerns which machine (or collection of machines) is to be used for which purpose and for which periods.
- CAPACITY PLANNING: This means relating to the forecast level of demand for its products consist and show how it was distributed and retrieve of the instrument.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Project Topics
- Actuarial Science
- Adult Education Project Topics
- African Languages And Linguistics Studies
- Agricultural Economics And Extension
- Agricultural Science
- Animal Health Science
- Arts Education
- Banking & Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Basic Science
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Research Project
- Botany Research project Topics
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Business Plan
- Chemical Engineering Project Topics
- Civil Engineering Project Topics
- Climate Change Project
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science
- Computer Science Topics
- Criminology Research Project
- Degree Project Topics
- Dissertation-Theses Writing Services (MBA MSc PhD)
- Dissertations/Theses Writing Services
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Topics and Material
- Economics Project Topics
- Edu 1
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- Educational Technology
- Engineering Research Project Topics
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Fine Art
- Fishery Project Topics
- Food Science And Technology
- Free Essay
- French Research Project Material
- Full Project
- Full Project Topics
- Geography Research Project Material
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Home Economics Project
- Hospitality Management
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Human Resource Management Project
- Industrial Relations & Personnel Management Project Topics
- Insurance Research Project
- International Relations
- Library Science
- Life Matter
- Linguistics and Communication Project Topics
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project
- Mass Communication
- Master Dissertation Thesis
- Mathematics Education
- MBA MSc BSc Thesis/Dissertation Project Topics
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Mental Health Project Topics
- Operation and Production Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Organizational Behaviour Research Project Writer
- Pol 1
- Pol 2
- Political Science
- Private Policy
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- Purchasing and Supply Chain Management Topic
- Quantity Surveying
- Research Project
- Research Project Topic
- Secretarial Administration
- Sickle Cell Research Project Topics
- Statistics Project Topics
- Transportation Management
- Vocational Education Project Topics
Full Project – The impact of production planning and control on a manufacturing process