Full Project-INCOME TAX ADMINISTRATION IN ABIA STATE
A CRITICAL EVALUATION OF PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS. (A CASE STUDY OF BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE UMUAHIA)
Tax policy administration and implementation have been a great problem to the third world countries, which Nigeria is one. This research work, “income tax administration in Abia State, a critical evaluation of the problems and prospects. Thereafter, suggests ways of minimizing the effects of the following problems. Avoidance and evasion of tax, waiting the taxpayers, initial tax payer compliance, resolution of controversies between tax payer and tax officials and collecting of taxes etc.
These problems have affect on the income tax revenue base of the government, which will in its totality have adverse effect on its capital expenditure. To enable the researcher find solution to the problem of this study, some questions were raised in form of hypothesis, which was developed into null and alternative hypothesis.
H0: There is no relationship between income tax revenue and government capital expenditure.
H1: There is a relationship between revenue from income tax and government capital expenditure.
H0: No relationship exists between revenue generated from income tax and the government recurrent expenditure.
H1: There exist a relationship between revenue generated from income tax and the recurrent expenditure of the government.
H0: There is no problem confronting tax administration.
H1: There are problems confronting tax administration.
As a result of detailed analysis, the study has revealed so many important phenomena in revenue generation in this state which in-adequacy of staff, inefficiency and ineffectiveness of tax assessment authorities due to heavy work load, miss appropriation of collected funds just to mentions but a few.
The method of data collection was through primary and secondary sources. The secondary source, which involves the analysis of vital documentations available at the state library ministry of finance and board of internal revenue. Data collected were analyzed by simple Pearson’s correlation co-efficient and chi-square.
With respect to the research findings, the following recommendation are made to a successful use of improved income tax administrations to enhance development.
– Government should provide conductive working environment for the tax authorities and also adequate funding and provision of operational facilities.
– A high standard of literacy among taxpayers.
– The absence of political influence to tax measures.
– Prevalence of accounting records honestly and reliably maintained.
LIST OF TABLES
Table 1: Abia State income tax revenue with capital and recurrent expenditure 1993 – 2003.
Table 2: Date for proper accounting date for provision of adequate working condition.
Table 3: Response from problem facing tax administration in Abia State.
Table 4: Response from attitude of tax payers
Table 5: Data for the level of communication between your staff and taxpayers.
Table 6: Response from factors affecting level of communication between your staff and taxpayers.
Table 7: Response from the rate of tax evasion and avoidance in Abia State.
Table 8: Response from the quality staffs in state board of internal revenue
Table 9: Response from problem of locality the tax payers
Table 10: Response from how to notify the public on the importance of taxation.
Table 11: Correlation test between capital expenditure and income revenue.
Table 12: Correlation test between recurrent expenditure and income revenue.
Table 13. Computation of chi-square test statistics of problem facing tax administration.
Figure I: Organization chart of the board of internal revenue Abia State.
Figure II: Testing for if there is any problem facing tax administration at 5% level of significance with 4 degree of freedom.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of contents
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Organization of the study
1.3 Statement of the problem
1.4 Purpose of the study
1.5 Research question
1.6 Research hypothesis
1.7 Scope and limitation of the study
1.8 Significance of the study
1.9 Definition of terms
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
2.1 Development of income taxation in Nigeria
2.3 Tax administration and policy in Nigeria
2.4 Income tax administration in Abia State
2.5 The problem of income tax administration in Abia State
2.6 Income tax policy and administration
2.7 Prospects of income tax administration in Abia State
2.8 Income tax administration, revenue yield and economic development in Abia State.
2.9 Objective of income taxation
2.10 Qualities of a good system of taxation
2.11 Effect of taxation
2.12 Classification of taxes
2.13 Why tax
2.14 Fiscal policy
2.15 The instruments of fiscal policy
2.16 The goals of fiscal policy
2.17 Types of fiscal policy
2.18 Techniques of fiscal policy
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3.1 Research design
3.2 Selection of data
3.3 Collection of data
3.4 Sampling design
3.5 Data analysis techniques
3.6 Problem of data collection
PRESENTATION ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION OF DATA
4.1 Presentation and analysis of data
4.2 Analysis of data
4.3 Testing and proving of hypothesis
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
5.3 Suggestions of further research
Appendix A: Letter of introduction
B: Letter to the respondents questionnaire
C: Statistical computation.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The tax system is often identified as one of the most powerful levers available to the government to move their economic state from a pitiable condition to a happier position. According to Anyanwu (1999) taxation can simply be seen as “a compulsory transfer of money from private individuals, institution or groups to the government”. On another note Agolu (2001) says “taxation may be defined as a compulsory levy by the government through its various agencies in the income capital or consumption of its subjects. These levies are made on personal income such as salaries business profits, interest, dividends commission royalties or rests. It may also be levied on capital gains and petroleum profits. All of the above are taxes levied on income”. Income tax is one levied on the income after allowances have been granted what remains taxable.
The questions then arises as how efficient is the administration of income tax in Nigeria and Abia State in particular. This is the questions this research work tries to provide an answer to. It is important to note that during colonial period, income tax administration was placed on the shoulders of colonial masters according to the orders of the governor general. After independence, the government of Nigeria took over administration of taxes, especially, income tax.
Consequently, board of internal revenue were established in the different regions and states of the federation. These states were charged with responsibility of income tax administration.
THE BACKGROUND OF BOARD OF INTERNAL REVENUE
Section 85A of PITD provided for the establishment of a state board of internal revenue to be known as “the state service” to comprise of:
– The executive head of the state board as chairman who shall be a person experienced in taxation and appointed by the governor of the state from within the state service.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria