Full project-AN EVALUATION OF THE EFFECT OF INDIRECT TAXATION ON CONSUMPTION IN NIGERIA
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The mono-product status of the Nigerian economy has received series of criticisms in recent times. According to Okonjo-Iweala (2012), without the diversification of Nigerian revenue from oil, the economy will soon collapse. Recently, Nigeria’s dependence on crude export for revenue based on the projected price and assumed production is 80%. However, oil revenue has accounted for over 76% of government revenue. (Ebosele & Adekoya, 2012). The implication of this overly dependence on oil revenue is the boom-and burst nature of the economy (Akpokodge, 2000). Against the backdrop of the need to diversify the economy of Nigeria, taxation has come extremely handy.
Taxation is made up of two broad components and several subcomponents and basically we have indirect and direct taxation. For purposes of this study, emphasis is on indirect tax considering its effect consumption in Nigeria. However, an indirect tax (such as sales tax, per unit tax, value added tax (VAT), or goods and services tax (GST)) is a tax collected by an intermediary (such as a retail store) from the person who bears the ultimate economic burden of the tax (such as the consumer), this is the major reason why it has great influence on consumption. The intermediary later files a tax return and forwards the tax proceeds to government with the return. In this sense, the term indirect tax is contrasted with a direct tax, which is collected directly by government from the persons (legal or natural) on whom it is imposed (Wikipedia, 2015). An indirect tax may increase the price of a good to raise the price of the products for the consumers. Examples would be fuel, liquor, and cigarette taxes.
An excise duty on motor cars is paid in the first instance by the manufacturer of the cars; ultimately, the manufacturer transfers the burden of this duty to the buyer of the car in the form of a higher price (Lim, 2008). Thus, an indirect tax is one that can be shifted or passed on. This is a function of the relative elasticity of the supply and demand of the goods or services being taxed. Under this definition, even income taxes may be indirect. Indirect taxation is policy commonly used to generate tax revenue. Indirect tax is so called as it is paid indirectly by the final consumer of goods and services while paying for purchase of goods or for enjoying services. It is broadly based since it is applied to everyone in the society whether rich or poor. Since the cost of the tax does not vary according to income, indirect taxation is a proportional tax. However, indirect taxation can be viewed as having the effect of a regressive tax as it imposes a greater burden (relative to resources) on the poor than on the rich. The taxpayer who pays the tax does not bear the burden of tax; the burden is shifted to the ultimate consumers. Therefore, indirect tax have effect on consumption and the standard of living of the general public.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Evidence so far supports the view that indirect tax is already a significant source of revenue in Nigeria. For instance, revenue from indirect tax in the year of its inception (1994) was N8.194 billion, which was 36.5 percent greater than the projected N6 billion for that year (Ajakaiye, 1999). However, the members of the organized private sector have been voicing their reservations in the sense that indirect tax is taking a toll on the prices of their products thereby affecting consumption in Nigeria. From an economic point of view, one expects the price of goods subject to indirect tax to rise, however, beyond this expected rise, businesses are taking advantage of the existence of indirect tax to increase prices of goods and services arbitrarily. According to Aruwa (2008), the resulting price increase has led to higher inflation. This may have prompted Mclure (1989) to state that policy makers should be concerned about the macroeconomic impact of indirect tax, especially on prices, output, income and consumption, before considering its adoption. However, the researcher is evaluating the effects of indirect taxation on consumption in Nigeria.
1.3 Purpose/objectives of the Study
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To evaluate the effects of indirect taxation on consumption in Nigeria.
2. To identify various forms of indirect taxation imposed in Nigeria and their respective effects.
3. To determine other factors that affect prices of goods and consumption in Nigeria.
1.4 Research Questions
1. What are the effects of indirect taxation on consumption in Nigeria?
2. What are the various forms of indirect taxation imposed in Nigeria and their respective effects?
3. What are the other factors that affect prices of goods and consumption in Nigeria?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
HO: There is no significant relationship between indirect taxation and consumption in Nigeria
HA: There is significant relationship between indirect taxation and consumption in Nigeria.
1.6 Significance of the Study
The following are the significance of this study:
1. The results of this study will provide a basis for minimizing the adverse effects of indirect taxation by the Federal government of Nigeria, while consolidating its benefits because this study will assess the macroeconomic impact of indirect taxation on general price levels and consumption in Nigeria.
2. This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic.
1.7 Scope of the Study
This study on the evaluation of the effect of indirect taxation on consumption in Nigeria will cover all types of indirect taxation on prices of goods and services, consumption and standard of living in Nigeria
1.8 Limitation of the study
Financial constraint– Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint– The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
1.9 Definition of Terms
Taxation: A means by which governments finance their expenditure by imposing charges on citizens and corporate entities. Governments use taxation to encourage or discourage certain economic decisions.
Consumption: the using up of a resource.
Revenue: income, especially when of a company or organization and of a substantial nature.
Inflation: Inflation is the rate at which the general level of prices for goods and services is rising and, consequently, the purchasing power of currency is falling.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria