Full Project-THE ROLE OF AUDIT FUNCTION IN GOVERNMENT ESTABLISHMENT
THE ROLE OF AUDIT FUNCTION IN GOVERNMENT ESTABLISHMENT (A CASE STUDY OF OFFICE OF AUDITOR- GENERAL OF ENUGU STATE)
This research project was initiated to appraise the audit of government establishment problems and prospects, using Enugu State Audit Department as a case study. As are all know, auditing is a way through which the assets of the individual are safeguarded. The problem of this Audit or its functions and role in government establishment in Enugu State cannot be overemphasized.
In order to collect the necessary data, the researcher used both primary and secondary data. The primary data involved the use of questionnaire, interview (oral) and discussions. While the secondary data were collected using the books written from the authors and expert in the topic of the research.
Some of the problems that were found to militate against an effective auditing administration of the government establishment include lack of enabling authority, inability to enforce audit reports.
To overcome the above mentioned problems, some recommendations were proffered that ameliorate the problem of audit of government establishment and show its prospective situation.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
There is need for acceptable accountability of the money spent by various government establishments. This has resulted in federal government establishment of Audit Department in both the federal and state governments as provided.
The duty of the Audit department is to report on the accounts stewardship rendered by the public officer section 118 subsection 2 of the 1979 constitution provides that the public accounts of a state and officers courts and authorities of the state including all persons and bodies established by law entrusted with collection and administration of public reported by the director of audit and for that purpose the director of audit or any person authorized by him on his behalf shall have access to all books records and returns and other documents relating to those accounts.
The study focuses attention on how well or not Enugu State Audit Department conducted their activities in response to section 118 of the 1979 constitution of the federal republic at Nigeria.
To appreciate whether the Audit Department of Enugu State performs its constitutional responsibility efficiently and effectively, it becomes necessary to determine or examine the effectiveness of the Brief History of Enugu State Audit Department.
Before the enactment of Audit law of 1958 and prior the creation of Eastern Region of Nigeria the audit of government accounts was controlled by the Director of Audit not as it is now addressed or called, that is Auditor – General.
In 1956 the Audit law as enacted, known as audit ordinance of 1956. Chapter 13 of the laws of Eastern Nigeria 1963 give the government of the then eastern Nigeria the power and authority t establish an Audit Department. The Audit Department was headed by the “Director of Audit”. Direct of Audit here means the Director of Audit for the Region establishment by section 61 of the constitution of Eastern Region.
The Director of Audit was charged with the duties and responsibilities of collecting the accounts of Governments signed by the Account-General for the Region and examine the accounts. The accounts must show the true /fully the financial position of the Government of Eastern Nigeria on the last day of such financial year.
Such accounts shall include: –
a. An abstract account of receipt and payments;
b. A statement of assets and liabilities;
c. Statements of revenue and expenditure by sub-heads; and
d. Such other statements as the minister my from time to time requires.
After the examinations, the Director of Audit will then present the audit account with the Report from the Director of Auditor to the Legislative Arms of the Region’s Government.
With the creation of Anambra State by the then Murtala Ramat Muhammed Government of 1975 out the formal Eastern Region the formal Eastern Nigerian Audit Department was then addressed as the Anambra State Audit Department, which their duties and responsibilities was still derived from the provisions of chapter 13 of Eastern Nigerian constitution.
During the Democratic Era of 1979 a constitution was drafted for the federation which provided for the Audit – General of a state to be appointed the governor of such state. This was provided in section 118 of 1979 constitution.
The present Enugu state Audit Department came into existence with the creation of Enugu State out of the old Anambra State. The Audt Department came into existence early in August 1991, changed with the duty of examine the accounts of Enugu State government. The Audit Department is now headed by the Auditor – General of Enugu State.
Their duties, powers and responsibilities are derived from section 125 of the constitution of Nigeria 1999 audit function through the analysis of audit. Carried out on government establishments and the opinions of those that audited the accounts. This will include whether they always audit accounts rendered by other government establishments, and finally the impression of the general public about the audit function.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
There have been the problems at delays in auditing the accounts of government minister and non-ministerial departments. A particular case was the eleven years accumulated unaudited accounts of the former Anambra State as revealed by the Audit.
The audit department after the creation of states in august 1991 the audit document the audit document could not resolve how to audit the area of accounts of the new state after the creation.
Consequently, the poor accountability in the public service in the state is a problem which had originated from the former Anambra State had been blamed on the ineffective manner with which the late Audit Department had performed its constitutional duties. The effects of these delays manifests when the auditing is actually done. The reasons being that some key public offices who are likely to give useful information or to whom audit queries might be addressed to would have left, either by reasons of retirements, a better job vital document destroyed are eve death.
The continuous accumulation of unedited accounts of government brings about poor accountability, poor record – keeping, fraud, embezzlement, forgery and other vices.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria