Full Project – A study of accidents at road junction
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
A research cannot be undertaken until there is a problem situation that required solution which cuts across all process of life. The study purely academic; it might sometimes somewhere be implemented if well undertaken. The rate of occurrence of road accident are becoming an issues of concern.
This study therefore intent to look at accidents at road junctions with particular reference to Zonkwa town. Many casualties have been recorded and are on the increase. Accidents have claimed more lives than HIV/AIDS, it led to premature deaths.
It is common acknowledgement that accident on roads are being unduly credited with an unattained aura. The precursor to this is nothing other than the alarming rate at which innocent soul are lost, injured or deform on road. Yet on the average there are in existence the need of facilities (such as road safety, traffic warders, VIOs and other personal) as well as social and educational necessities for monitoring and controlling traffic movement to the effect of guaranteeing the safety of lives and properties. The purpose of this study, is to look at accidents at, junctions in Zonkwa town along the express way to Kaduna city, although accident cannot be eliminated but can be drastically reduced.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
- Traffic congestion along the major road passing through Zonkwa town.
- Inadequate parking space for loading and offloading of passengers.
- Junctions without proper curvature management and control
- Poor road intersection and junction.
AIM OF THE STUDY
To study the causes of accidents at road junctions (CASE STUDY OF ZONKWA TOWN) with the aim of coming to commend physical planning proposal that will make the junctions safe for travel.
OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY.
- To study wide on the subject matter
- To minimize the risk of road accidents.
- To improve accessibility and remove perceived barriers.
- To recognize the role that improves road safety plays in social inclusion.
- To commend physical planning proposal that will ensure efficiency maneuvers at the junctions.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY.
The study covered major junctions identified as black-sport in Zonkwa town, along Kaduna express way.
SOURCE OF DATA COLLECTION
- Personal observation.
- Questionnaire administration
- Use of phone call for first hand information
- Literature review
- Use of maps
- Use of book and relevant report as documented data
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY.
- It will improve upon the safety of commuters, drivers, cyclist, pedestrians and the safety of lives and properties.
- It will serve as basis for further study and as a reference for other researchers.
METHODOLOGY OF THE STUDY.
- Reconnaissance survey of the study area.
- Updating the map of the study area.
- Design and administration of questionnaires.
- Consulting books and report related to the study.
DEFINITION OF TERMS.
Road: a road is a thoroughfare, route or way on land between two places that has been pave or otherwise improve to allow travel by some conveyance, including a horse, car, motor vehicle, pedestrians etc.
Accident: accident or mishap is an incidental and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack intention or necessity. It usually implies a generally negative outcome which might have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.
Kerbed: The edge of the raised path at the side of the road, usually made of long pieces of stone
Shoulder: A shoulder, often serving as an emergency stopping lane, is a reserved lane by the verge of a road or motorway.
Part: A way especially designed for a particular use.
Junction: A road junction is a location where multiple roads intersect allowing vehicular traffic to change from one road to another.
Intersection: An intersection is the junction at grade (that is to say, on the roads either meeting or crossing each other.
1.09 GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION OF NIGERIA.
Nigeria lies between longitude 30 and 150 East of the green which meridian, and 40 and 140north of the equator; Nigeria has the population of 140million people according to 2006 population census. It covered a land area of about 356,667 square mile. Nigeria share boundary with Atlantic ocean in the south and Cameroon in the east, the republic of Benin in the west and Niger republic in the North. The country has 36 state and the capital of republic in Abuja (refers to map).See fig 1.
1.10 KADUNA STATE.
Kaduna State is one of the 36 States in Nigeria created on 27may 1976 with a total area of 46,053km2 (177,859m) third among the 36 state (i.e in rank).Kaduna has the population of 6,066,562 in 2006 NPC census. Kaduna State is a state located in central Northern Nigeria with its capital at Kaduna.
1.11 PHYSICAL SETTING OF KADUNA STATE.
Location: the state is located on the southern end of the high plains Northern Nigeria, bounded by parallels 9o 3’N and 11o32’N, and extends from the upper river Mariga on 6o05 t to 8o48 t on the fool slopes of the scarp of Jos Plateau Udo (1970).
Geology and relief:- the bed rocks geology is predominantly metamorphic rock of the Nigerian basement complex consisting of biotitegnesses and older granites. In the Southeastern corner, Younger granite and batholiths are evident.
Deep chemical weathering and fluvial erosion, influenced by the bioclimatic nature of the environmental have developed the characteristic high undulating plains with However, rocky granitic residuals form inselbergs of varying sizes and shapes, and constitute the main local relief (relative relief is less than 150mm) here and there with Kufena, Kagoro Hills and Dutsen Waikudaru Ring complex standing at wide, stretching several tens of kilometers in to the hard water area with gentle slopping valley
Climate:-Kaduna State experiences a typical tropical continental climate with district seasonal regimes oscillating between cool and hot dry and humid to wet. These two seasons reflect the influences of tropical continental and equatorial maritime air masses which sweep over the entire country.
However, in Kaduna State the seasonality is pronounced with the cool to hot dry season being the longer than the rainy season. Again, the spatial and temporal distribution of the rain varies, decreasing from an average of 1530mm in Kafanchan-Kagoro areas in the South-East to 10.5mm in Ikaramakarfi Districts in the North-East.
High storm intensities (ranging from 60mm/hr to 99mm/hr) plus the nature of surface run off build up the good network of medium sized river system. High evaporation during the dry season, however, creates water shortage problems especially in Igabi, Giwa, Soba, Makarfi and the Kara L.G.A.
Soil and vegetation:-generally, the soils and vegetation are typical red-brown to red-yellow tropical ferruginous soils and savannah grassland with scattered trees and woody shrubs. The soils in the upland areas are rich in red clay and sand but poor in organic matter.
However, soils within the “fadama” areas are richer in kaolintic clay and organic matter, very heavy and poorly drained, characteristics of verticals. Fringe forest “kurmi” in Hausa in some localities.
1.12 GEOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF KADUNA.
The State is the successor to the old Northern region of Nigeria which had its capital at Kaduna in 1976.This was split up in to six States,, one was Northern central state whose name was change to Kaduna state in 1976. Kaduna State is one of the most populated by the Hausa’s Gbagyi’s Zangon Kataf’s Adara, Gong, Bajju, Ninkyab, Kurama, Kora, Mada and Agworok ethnic communities.
1.13 ZANGON KATAF LOCAL GOVERNMENT.
Zangon Kataf local government area of Kaduna State is one of the additional local government created by federation on the 27 may 1989 out of former Kachia Local Government Area.
The local government is made up of two chiefdom each comprising of six districts which gives a total of twelve Districts in the area.
The Zangon kataf has an area of 5625skm with the population of 318,991 people in 2006 NPC census.
The Zangon Kataf local government area is bounded on the north by Kaura local Government to the south by Jema’a local government and to the west by Kachia local Government, and to the east by Kaura local Government. Zangon Kataf local government is situated between latitude 90 29N and 100N and between longitude 70 45E and 80 40E with four (4) major ethnic group which are: Atyap(kataf), Bajju(kaje), Ikulu and Kamantan, others are Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, Igbo etc.
1.15 ZONKWA DISTRICT.
Zonkwa is one of the districts in Zangon Kataf local government Area. Zonkwa coordinate are 90 46’60”E and 8016’60”E. Zonkwa is located in an elevated Area of 781metres above sea level and has a population of 19,435people in 2006 census with an area of 7km radius from the centre point of the town. The main religion are Christianity, Islamic, and traditional religion. Their main occupation is farming, while the main farm products are yam, soya beans, cocoyam, poultry farming, and cattle rearing.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Project Topics
- Actuarial Science
- Adult Education Project Topics
- African Languages And Linguistics Studies
- Agricultural Economics And Extension
- Agricultural Science
- Animal Health Science
- Arts Education
- Banking & Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Basic Science
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Research Project
- Botany Research project Topics
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Business Plan
- Chemical Engineering Project Topics
- Civil Engineering Project Topics
- Climate Change Project
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science
- Computer Science Topics
- Criminology Research Project
- Degree Project Topics
- Dissertation-Theses Writing Services (MBA MSc PhD)
- Dissertations/Theses Writing Services
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Topics and Material
- Economics Project Topics
- Edu 1
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- Educational Technology
- Engineering Research Project Topics
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Fine Art
- Fishery Project Topics
- Food Science And Technology
- Free Essay
- French Research Project Material
- Full Project
- Full Project Topics
- Geography Research Project Material
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Home Economics Project
- Hospitality Management
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Human Resource Management Project
- Industrial Relations & Personnel Management Project Topics
- Insurance Research Project
- International Relations
- Library Science
- Life Matter
- Linguistics and Communication Project Topics
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project
- Mass Communication
- Master Dissertation Thesis
- Mathematics Education
- MBA MSc BSc Thesis/Dissertation Project Topics
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Mental Health Project Topics
- Operation and Production Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Organizational Behaviour Research Project Writer
- Pol 1
- Pol 2
- Political Science
- Private Policy
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- Purchasing and Supply Chain Management Topic
- Quantity Surveying
- Research Project
- Research Project Topic
- Secretarial Administration
- Sickle Cell Research Project Topics
- Statistics Project Topics
- Transportation Management
- Vocational Education Project Topics
Full Project – A study of accidents at road junction