Full Project-VALUE ADDED TAX AS A TOOL FOR REVENUE GENERATION.(A CASES STUDY OF SELECTED INDIVIDUALS IN EDO STATE)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Some years back, the agricultural sector was playing an important role in the Nigeria economy both in generating revenue and in the physical impact. This was before oil started its own impact on the economy. The impact created by the oil sector begging to be more relevant within a short period of time. Other sectors of the economy become secondary in terms of their relevancies. The sectors were neglected in the favour of oil.
Oil thus becomes the leading factor and the leading product in term of revenue generating and foreign exchange contribution. The condition of the economy became vulnerable to the condition of the word oil market form 1970 till date. The fluctuation of price in the world of oil market in the Nigeria economy is a significant factor to the revenue to be generated. This is by diversifying the revenue generated based on the higher economy. In addition to the above mention situation, the Nigeria state was increasingly acquires ring national responsibilities along with the traditional role of the government.
The financial requirement of the government has been increased over the years in facilitating the accomplishment of government functions. Worthy of mention is this connection in the effective way of revenue generation and collection by the government against responsible for the task. The idea of introducing Value Added Tax (VAT) was therefore considered and the federal government finally approved its introduction. Value added tax is therefore expected to increase and be effective, contribute towards enhancing the revenue generation based on the government. The system is expected to minis of eliminate the corrupt practices associated with revenue assessment and collection. The important of revenue in any country and of course Nigeria cannot be overemphasized. Revenue has been the bedrock of government performance. The history of revenue in Nigeria dated to the pre-colonial era when tax and levies were paid to the fathers or lord as the case may be to Oba’s, Kings, Emirs.
The tax or levies were to be paid in cash or in kind during the pre-colonial era. It was used to support the sustenance of the colonial administration. It has even been used to mobilize farmers into cash crop production mainly for the colonial export through the use of the cash taxes. Even after independency, tax has played in important role in generating revenue for the government. It was used for the running of the affairs of the post independence government in Nigeria. Furthermore, it has also been used to achieve other policies such as the protection of the infant industries, income re-distribution, checking and controlling the consumption of some certain goods, etc. it is therefore very much likely that it will continue to play a very important role in Nigeria economy. Following the difficulties, Irregularities, complains associated with the assessment and collection of the said tax, operation committee was set up by the Federal government in 1991 to review the entire tax system in operation. The committee recommended the idea of introducing Value Added Tax (VAT) in the country and another committee was set up to undertake the feasibility study and make recommendation on its implementation after which the government finally approved the introduction of value added tax in Nigeria tax system with effect from 1st September 1993 and was incorporated in the 1994 budget. Therefore, this study seeks to examine Value Added Tax as a means of revenue generation for economy development.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
There have been efforts by the Federal government to increase the revenue base of the economy for better development, and approval growth of the Nation economy. Therefore, this research is carried out to establish the position of Value Added Tax on the overall Nigeria tax system. The ineffective impact of generating revenue for the government and controlling irregularities wildly believed to be associated with the said tax.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following questions were asked during the research of this project. They are:
1) How successful has the introduction of value added tax (VAT) been in Nigeria.
2) What are the relationship between value added tax(VAT) and other forms of taxation.
3) What are the problems associated with the admission of value added tax(VAT)?
4) And how can we make it very effective to the needs of Nigerian?
5) What are the advantages of value added tax (VAT) in generating revenue in Edo state?
1.4 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objective of this study includes:
1) To examine the introduction of the value added tax (VAT) as a system of taxation in Nigeria.
2) To investigate the relationship between Value Added Tax and generation of revenue through other forms of taxations.
3) To find out the problem associated with the administration of VAT since its introduction and also to give recommendation on how o make VAT very effective and responsible to the need of the Nigerians.
4) The study also intends to find out the advantages of Value Added Tax (VAT) in term of generating revenue in Edo state.
It is also set to find out beyond technical level practical problems associated with it and to make recommendation at the end of the study.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of the study is that government is in need of money to execute its increasing projects. Having introduced VAT to replace the sole taxation, to escape the difficulties in the old system. The study will be of benefit by enhancing the effective implementation and achievement of the objective, as such; VAT should be regarded as worth and should be encouraged and supported.
The benefactors of the study of Value Added Tax (VAT) are:
1) The government
2) The citizens
3) The investors (foreign and local)
This study is very important, as the value added tax is a new or a modified system, which has a lot of significance. The public needs to be educated on its operation. The study will bring the outstanding between the government, the populaces (the tax payer) and the tax authorities together
Proper knowledge of the Values Added Tax would bring increase return to the government as a result of the compliance by the payer and proper record keeping by the officials.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study is to cover the introduction, the implementation, problem and prospect of VAT and its relationship with revenue generation in Edo state. The line frame will cover from its introduction in 1993 till date. In addition to this all data and information to be used will be from area office of the Edo State Board of Internal Revenue.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
The terms used in this study on the of Value Added Tax are define as follows;
Value Added Tax: This is the tax impose on the value of goods and services in the country either imported or exported which the surlier or the sellers of the goods add to it.
Economy: This means control and management of money, goods and services in a country.
Goods: The term goods cover all tangible and intangible assets and commodities that are traded for considerations.
Supply of goods: This includes delivery and transfer of goods arising from contractual or legal action or transaction though agents.
F.I.R.S: Federal Inland Revenue service, it the operation of Federal Board of Inland Revenue.
F.B.I.R: the means Federal Board of Inland Revenue.
Legislation: This deal with the aspect of making laws in the system of tax.
VAT on input: This is the VAT on the purchase of goods and service on a notable person.
Output VAT: This is the VAT charged on the sale of goods and services it is the VAT paid to the F.I.R.S after vat on the purchase of such good or supply has been deducted.
Vatable person: This means any person co-operates or incorporates who trade in Vatable goods and service for a consideration.
1.8 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
The study is concentrated on the advantage of Value Added Tax (VAT) in terms of revenue generation and its operation in Edo state Board of Internal Revenue office. Value added tax (VAT) as a new introduced system of tax. The study was faced with a problem of its own which limited the research system. Some of the limitation is as follows;
a) Non-availability of books and journals etc. due to lack of relevant textbook, journals and magazine, the other relevant articles or publication on the subject matter through which one could easily collect his materials for the literature review in this research work.
b) The effect of scarcity of data: The issue of scarcity of data arose were some private organization refuse to disclose some information on their record keeping on Vat and especially on returns rendered to the government.
c) Time: Due to shortage of time, the study was carried out in Edo State only. Time did not allow for wilder research in other state of the federation. It was not easy to collect most of the questionnaire distributed due to the fact that the people who the questionnaire were given never got it ready at the appropriate time. They gave appointment for it to be collected. Some even said that they missed the questionnaire.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria