Full Project – Total quality management and organizational performance
- Background to the Study
Total Quality Management (TQM) has become an accepted technique to ensure performance and survival in the modern economies according to Katller and Armstrong (2014). Deming (2010) had earlier asserted that the success of quality management efforts depended upon the effective integration of various management subsystems. TQM integrates fundamental management techniques, resources, and its implementation stands as a challenge and support to top management. Recent studies have claimed that the successful implementation of TQM could generate improved products and services, as well as reduced costs, more satisfied customers and employees, and improved financial performance (Hendricks & Singhal, 2011).
The ever improving global competition and increasing requests for more qualified products by customers have caused organizations to understand that the only way of survival in the market is to deliver better quality products to meet customers’ needs. Many organizations, therefore, spend considerable amounts of their funds in activities related to improving products and services. The vast applicability of Total Quality Management (TQM) has made it to earn recognition as one of the most popular continuous improvement systems for quality. TQM increases customer’s satisfaction through the participation of all personnel (Demirbag et al, 2016). The main aim of TQM is to implement a management system and organizational culture that ensures the customer satisfaction since customers who are more sensitive to quality standards improve their expectations continuously (Eriksson and Hansson, 2012).
Quality is vital for organization success. It has become inevitable for banks to work on enhancing quality within their functions, product and services and the way they manage their organizations. Quality denotes an excellence in goods and services, especially to the degree they conform to requirements and satisfy customers (Islam and Haque, 2012). Adeoti (2013) assert that quality of service is more difficult for customers to measure than quality of manufactured goods. Generally, though a user of a service has a few characteristics and attributes in mind that he or she uses as a basis for comparison among alternatives. Lack of one attribute in a bank may make the customers to prefer another. For survival, it is mandatory to provide best service quality and it is also viewed as pre-requisite to success of banking sector. Many studies have proved that the performance of banks is significantly and positively linked with the service quality, and to achieve service quality in the banking sector, the TQM is highly essential (Talib, Rahman & Qureshi 2012).
Total Quality Management (TQM) considered as a main tool that leads to the strategy of developing work and improving performance in order to achieve profitability through good services and quality products. It can be defined as the continuous improvement of administrative and productive processes through reviewing and analyzing the results achieved, and searching for other means and methods to raise the level of performance and try to reduce the time and effort for the completion of production processes by eliminating all unnecessary functions for consumers and for the productive process to reach the required level of total quality.
In order to achieve the competitive quality level, it is necessary to use many methods and skills of quality’s science. Choosing the appropriate method or the effective and useful tool is related to many factors and circumstances of the establishment internally and externally. Continuing Quality Improvement can be considered as the only way to improve the performance of organizations and banks. Quality’s sciences and its various methods helps to achieve gains for banks by ensuring distinguished and constantly evolving services using quality improvement techniques, to reduce problems and errors through the quality control methods to detect any defect in inspection to prevent its development and to detect the causes and remove them as soon as possible, they can avoid the error or problem before it happened, which helps the bank to maintain its basic customers and gain the largest possible number of new customers.
- Statement of the Research Problem
Many researchers think that quality management is old news, many of the new continuous improvement initiatives are based on total quality management philosophies. Total quality management encompasses a number of different initiatives: the benefit and the goal of total quality are lower cost, higher revenues, delighted customers and empowered employees.
Cost can be lowered by reducing errors, reducing rework, and reducing non-value added work. Higher quality can also equate to higher revenue through satisfaction of customers increased market share, improved customer intention more loyal customers and premium price.
However, it is not easy for management to implement total quality management, because it means a cultural overhaul. The benefit of better quality through improvement of the process are thus not just better quality and long range improvement of market position, but also greater productivity and profit. Improvement of the process increases uniformity of output of product, reduces mistakes, and reduce waste of man power, machine-time and material. The question as to whether total quality management is in practice in the organization begs for answer.
This is because of the fact that the department is confronted with many problems among which are non adherence the laid down rules and set standards on quality of products, inadequate working facilitate, poor materials and low level of management skills to improve quality of product. It is for this purpose that this research is design to investigate those problems and makes some possible suitable suggestion which will help ameliorate theses problem faced by management of an organization.
- Objectives of the Study
The general objective of this study is to examine the effect of total quality management on organizational performance. Specific objectives include:
- Ascertain whether total quality management has positive impact on performance of First Bank Plc.
- To examine whether total quality management can enhance the profitability of First Bank Plc.
- To find out if there is significant relationship between total quality management and customer satisfaction in First Bank.
- Research Hypotheses
Hypothesis is tentative solution to researchable problems. They are assumptions held by the researcher which have to be validated. A hypothesis is a conjectural proposition, an informed intelligent guess about the solution to a problem. It is an assumption or proposition, an informed intelligent guess about the solution to a problem. It is an assumption or position whose variety and validity is to be established. For the purpose of this study the following hypothesis will be considered.
Ho: Total quality management does not have any positive impact on performance of First Bank Plc.
Hi: Total quality management has positive impact on performance of First Bank Plc.
Ho- Total quality management cannot enhance the profitability of First Bank Plc.
Hi: Total quality management can enhance the profitability of First Bank Plc.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between total quality management and customer satisfaction in First bank.
Hi: There is no significant relationship between total quality management and customer satisfaction in First bank.
1.5 Significance of the Study
At the end of the study, the following people will stand to benefit:
The Employee: The study is expected to improve the interactions between employees and departments. It will also improve employee morale and productivity. Consequently, the quality work in bank will improves.
The Organization: Also, the study will help to enhance higher productivity and profitability in the organization, it will help the organization to eliminate defects and waste, reduced costs and better cost management,
Customers: This study will equally assist to foster customer loyalty and retention through delivering to customer valid for money. This will also lead to customer satisfaction.
Finally it will add to the existing literature for future researchers.
- Scope and of the Study
The study covers the Total quality management and organizational performance with particular reference to First Bank Plc Lokoja Branch.
1.7 Limitation and Constraints of the Study
In conducting this research the constraints suffered are:
- Time Factor:- one of the constraints of the study is time as it is not convenient to undertake a research of this nature within a limited period. The researcher used most of the time going up and down in search of relevant data / information. Most of these period coincided with the lecture time and has to shuttle between lectures which means sharing of time between project writing and lectures.
- Financial Problem:- Financial constraint is one of the key problems suffered by the researcher in conducting this research. This is because money is needed for transportation from one place to place in order to get relevant data or facts or information. Fund is also needed for typing, photocopying, journal and others.
- Information: The information needed to carry out this research work is another constraint faced by the researcher. It is pertinent to note that most of the required information has to be squeezed out of their holdings by wisdom. The management of the banks in Lokoja could not usher in information that is related to manual services and guidelines while holding back some valuable information as top official secret.
- Definition of Key Terms
Bank: Is an institution that holds a banking license granted by financial supervision authorities (Asogwa, 2014).
Quality: This refers to the totality features or characteristics of a product or service that suits or satisfy the needs of customers (Asogwa, 2014).
Total Quality Management: Hashmi, (2010), define TQM as a method by which management and employees become involved in the continuous improvement of the production of goods and services. It is a combination of quality and management tools aimed at increasing business and reducing losses due to wasteful practices.
Performance: Kariuki (2012) sees performance as the state of yielding a financial gain. It is the capacity to make a profit whether accounting or economic.
Organization Performance:- According to Richar et.al (2019) is a multidimensional concept that encompasses aspects including financial performance and market performance.
Quality Service Delivery: It is a term used to describe the extent to which services meet the customer’s needs. Customers often define quality by the level of service they receive, the cost, and their overall satisfaction (Richar et.al , 2019)
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Project Topics
- Actuarial Science
- Adult Education Project Topics
- African Languages And Linguistics Studies
- Agricultural Economics And Extension
- Agricultural Science
- Animal Health Science
- Arts Education
- Banking & Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Basic Science
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Research Project
- Botany Research project Topics
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Business Plan
- Chemical Engineering Project Topics
- Civil Engineering Project Topics
- Climate Change Project
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science
- Computer Science Topics
- Criminology Research Project
- Degree Project Topics
- Dissertation-Theses Writing Services (MBA MSc PhD)
- Dissertations/Theses Writing Services
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Topics and Material
- Economics Project Topics
- Edu 1
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- Educational Technology
- Engineering Research Project Topics
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Fine Art
- Fishery Project Topics
- Food Science And Technology
- Free Essay
- French Research Project Material
- Full Project
- Full Project Topics
- Geography Research Project Material
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Home Economics Project
- Hospitality Management
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Human Resource Management Project
- Industrial Relations & Personnel Management Project Topics
- Insurance Research Project
- International Relations
- Library Science
- Life Matter
- Linguistics and Communication Project Topics
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project
- Mass Communication
- Master Dissertation Thesis
- Mathematics Education
- MBA MSc BSc Thesis/Dissertation Project Topics
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Mental Health Project Topics
- Operation and Production Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Organizational Behaviour Research Project Writer
- Pol 1
- Pol 2
- Political Science
- Private Policy
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- Purchasing and Supply Chain Management Topic
- Quantity Surveying
- Research Project
- Research Project Topic
- Secretarial Administration
- Sickle Cell Research Project Topics
- Statistics Project Topics
- Transportation Management
- Vocational Education Project Topics
Full Project – Total quality management and organizational performance