Full Project-THE ROLE OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS IN INVESTMENT-DECISIONS:
ROLE OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS IN INVESTMENT DECISIONS
The research topic of this study is “The role of financial statement in investment decisions” – a study of selected banks in Enugu metropolis. The purpose is to identify the relationship between financial statement and investment decisions, and the impact of financial statement in investment decision making and also to know if investment decisions depends solely on financial statement. The study population is 125 persons who are the member of staff of the five major selected banks. Using the Yaro Yamani formula, the sample size calculated gave (95). The formulated hypotheses were tested using Z test with statistical technique at 5% level of significance. The researcher also made use of primary methods of data collection which included questionnaires and personal interviews. Also the secondary methods of data collection used are library research of relevant materials and existing documents from the selected banks. The researcher recommends that banks in Enugu metropolis should consult the financial statement before making investment decisions, and also it is recommends that all interested parties to financial statement should used required financial ratio analysis for decision making.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Every business prepares profit and loss Account or income statement to ascertain the net result of financial working of the business whether it has earned some income or profit or sustained any loss. It also prepare balance sheet to find out the financial position of the business. Profit and loss account or income statement, retained earnings statement and balance sheet are known as financial statements.
Gautam (2005) sees financial statement as financial information which is the information relating to the financial position of any firm; when presented in a concise and capsule form. Besides profit and loss account and balance sheet, some other statements are also prepared for deriving certain conclusions. A schedule of current assets and current liabilities of two years may be prepared to know the changes in working capital. Similarly a fund flow statement and cash flow statement may also be prepared to ascertain the future estimate of cash receipt and payment. Thus, financial statement include: profit and loss Account, income statement and balance sheet along with certain schedules and statement.
Ezeamama (2010) is of the opinion that rational decisions have to be taken to manage modern business successfully and for this rational decision to be taken in line with the firms’ objective. Some analytical tools ought to be available and used based on the strengths and weakness of the firms. Thus, the financial strengths and weaknesses of a firm are revealed in its financial statement. The nature of financial statement is that financial statement is that financial statements always relate to a past period and hence they are called historical documents. Financial statements are expressed in monetary terms and it indicates profit abilities of the business through balance sheet. Financial statement are analyzed in order to use the information in financial statements to ascertain the profitability and financial soundness of the firm, to Judge the managerial efficiency for inter form comparison of similar nature and to make valuable for costs.
According to Remi Aborode (2006), financial statement need to be interpreted for better understanding and analysis and it can thus be interpreted using individual items contained in financial statement or/ and using ratios computed from items contained in financial statement ( Ratio analysis). The essentials of financial statements range from the fact that financial statements should disclose correct information about profitability and financial position of a business. The information disclosed should be presented in such a manner that it can be easily compared with the figures of the previous year or with those of other similar firms. The information so provided in financial statement should be that which can be verified from the relevant and prepared within a reasonable time after the end of accounting period. The information provided by financial statement should also be easily understood by the interested parties. Such as investors, creditors, lender and Bankers, customer’s employees, government and other agencies, the public and stock exchange. It can therefore be seen that financial information is very effective and essentials in making investment decisions in an organization be it private or public. Thus the role of financial statements in investment decision in some selected banks in Enugu metropolis will be critically evaluated.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Several investment decision tools are used an financial statement of firms and these has been used for several investment decisions, which most often pays off bearing in mind the definition of what a financial statement is. It is important to note the various roles it plays in investment decision.
– However, the problems encountered by these investors include.
-Whether these financial statements represent a true and fair view of what it purports to represents. Whether all necessary disclosure have been made by the management of the enterprises, which can now convince a person that deductions made base on the financial statement is not misleading.
-What benefit is this financial statement to the external users particularly investors who are taking decision on a daily basis?
-How analytical tools are set to aid prospective investors in accessing the financial position of the corporate organization.
-How to determine the profitability of a company.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The general objective of this research work is to determine the role of financial statement in investment decision of selected bank in Enugu metropolis. This research work has the following objective:
– To identify the relationship between financial statements and investment decisions
– To evaluate the impact of financial statement in investment decision making.
– To identify factors influencing investment decisions on financial statements.
– To highlight the problems associated with financial statement in investment decision.
– To highlight the various tools used in investment decisions on financial statement.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The research questions were formulated from the objective such as:
– What significant relationship does financial statement have to do with investment decision?
-What impact does financial statement have with investment?
-Are there any factors that influence investment decision?
-Does making investment decisions depends depend solely on financial statement?
-What are the various tools used in investment decision on financial statement?
1.5 HYPOTHESES OF THE STUDY
The following questions were constructed to guide the researcher in her study.
H0 = Financial statement does not have any significant relationship with investment decision.
Hl =Financial statement has significant relationship with investment decision.
H0 = Financial statement does not have any impact in investment decision.
Hl =Financial statement has an impact on investment decision.
H0 = Making investment decisions does not solely depend on financial statement.
Hl = Making investment decisions solely depend on financial statement.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY.
This study will be of immense help to the prospective investors and other interested parties of the general public so as to know how to study the financial report of a business firm in order for them to make a decision as to whether or not to invest in such firm. It will help the government to determine the taxation due and as well as to determine if all the company’s income has been included in the computation of taxes. By doing this, there will be an improvement in the overall assets and liabilities management and the management will also upgrade assets quality and lower cost of funds. The researcher is of the view that this research work will address the problem properly.
1.7 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY.
This study is on the selected Banks in Enugu metropolis, the limitation is of the study in the selected Banks in Enugu metropolis Enugu state. This is due to some constraints; those constraints were financial difficulties which prevented the running down from one relevant selected Banks in Enugu to another for sources of information necessary for this study. Another constraint is the time limit within my disposal, the demand from the academic activities and limit within this constitutes.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
FINANCIAL INFORMATION: Financial information summarize the economic performance and situation of a business when confronted with the information and it is useful to have a framework of analysis available to make an attempt to draw what is important from the mass of less important data.
FINANCIAL RATIOS: Financial ratios provide a means by which various items in the financial accounts are related to an appropriate base and thereby enabling these items to be regarded in their proper perspective financial ratios permit comparative studies and therefore they are important tools of financial analysis.
INVESTMENT: Investment is the act of intelligently determining the uses to which saving can be put investment can also be defined as the defined as the sacrifice of current consumption for a future large gain of money or consumption which could be uncertain.
INVESTMENT COMPANY: These are financial institutions organized for the purpose of enabling an individual investor to obtain the advantages of wide diversification in a single commitment.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria