Full Project-THE ROLE OF ACCOUNTING IN THE CONTROL OF PRIVAT AND PUBLIC SECTORS OF THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY
Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5
THE ROLE OF ACCOUNTING IN THE CONTROL OF PRIVAT AND PUBLIC SECTORS OF THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY (A CASE STUDY OF UDO DILI UMU IBE COY AND NEPA)
In recent times, private and public organizations in Nigeria have been faced with cases of financial crises, which have resulted in most of the organizations going into extension. Those who are the able to survive more are in a guile pace. Obviously, the causes of financial crises in our private and public sectors have been attributed to be unrecognized in nature and total negligence of the roles of accounting in our private and public organizations. This research work will look the role of accounting in the control of private and public sectors in Nigeria. It will try to analyzed the implication of applying the accounting principles in our private and organizations and then look at how these principles confined he operating of the public and private sector of the organization in Nigeria. On the cause of writing this project study, extensive efforts will be made to find out some of the problems. Our factors militating against the appropriate application of accounting principles and which invariably causes managers to neglect the role of accounting in the control of private and public organization in Nigeria. Consequently, upon this recommendations will be suggested in how or the steps that will be taken to eradicated this setbacks and deficiency in the systems. In a bid to achieve a meaningful/research study work this research will review related literature on the role of accounting in the control of private and public sectors in Nigeria Oral interview will also be conducted with the managers on heads of some selected private and public organizations in Nigeria. Other supplementary instruments are data collected from journals, magazines, questionnaire and existing textbooks. All these data collected will be analyzed critically and descriptive with the aid of table in research work.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In most developing countries Nigeria, government’s participation in economic activity is usually significant. One of the ways through which the government has intervened in the Nigeria economy is through the establishment of public enterprises. Public enterprises are statutory bodies operating services of an economic or social character or both on behalf of the government. Since the colonial era, especially after independence in 1960, Nigeria public enterprises have witnessed a steady growth until recently. As Olise (1988: 133) puts it, beginning as a twinkle in the period between the era of the second world war and Nigeria attainment of independence, and the creation of public cooperation has risen to flood level since independence and has maintained a steady growth.
The rationales behind the establishment of public enterprises in Nigeria are many. Some of the reasons include: generating revenue that would add to available national capital for the support of development an welfare programmes, making it impossible for important profitable enterprise to be controlled by a few individuals or group; organizing certain critical activities for national survival and economic stability and providing employment opportunities (Ademotecum 1983)2 However, aer a long period of growing start, intervention in the Nigeria economy through public enterprises, the mid 1980’s. Onward has sometimes been dramatic in public opinion and public policy. This has been brought by the persistent losses which state enterprises has been running over the years. Consequently, there has been a willingness to look at the alternative policy strategies for the achievement of economic developments. At the fore front of these strategies in the minimization of the role of state in the economy including privatization of public enterprises.
In Nigeria, public enterprises are engaged in a whole spectrum of economic activities including agriculture, mining, construction, manufacturing, commerce and other services. The classifications of public enterprises in Nigeria have been made according to a variety of criteria and by dierent authority. The public service review commission (1975:101) classified public sector into: (a) Public utilities (b) Regulatory or service body (c) Financial institution (d) Commercial and industrial enterprises. Being a mixed economy, individuals, also own and operate enterprises. A firm is classified a private enterprises when it is founded and managed by an individual and or a group of individuals. These firms are expected to be registered in the local government within which they operate. The rational for the establishment of private enterprises are numerous just like the establishment of public enterprises. They include among others, provision of employment opportunities, generating income for the owners of the enterprises, government is also interested in profit performance of the enterprises which determines the fax liability of the firm, moreover, the general public are concerned with the sense of social responsibility which the business exhibits to the environment in which it is located and its willingness to contribute to the upliftment of the environment. The activities of the public and private enterprises have been on the increase in recent times, which necessitated the introduction of the accounting practices to check and monitor the financial activities of these enterprises. In his book titled, “principles of Accounting, 3image (1985 defines accounting as a process by which data relating to the economic activities of an organization are measured, recorded and communicated to interested parties for analysis and interpretation.
The earliest method of accounting in Nigeria was the use of money to record the amount of agricultural commodities like yams, cassava and livestock, which passed from one person to another. The historical development of modern accounting practices has been closely related to the economic development of the country. As business organization grows in size and complexity, management and outsides become more clearly different from the outside group, which includes owners of the firm (stock holders), creditors, government employers and the general public. This differentiate the need to have accounting departments in the enterprises to give accurate financial information to use in judging the performance of the management and to satisfy the outside demands of the general public who are already interested on whether the enterprise is growing or not. The role of accounting in the public and private enterprises in Nigeria is primarily to ensure accurate accountability in these sectors and present fine financial position of the enterprises.
The role is of utmost important in any organization. An organization can only grow or make profit when its resources are well managed. And resources can only be well managed when the accounting departments of the organization give an accurate financial information to know how much the enterprise is having. It is only when, this is done, that the firm allocate its resources and knows what is to be done. The role of accounting seems to be more pronounced in the public enterprises. In recent time, there are cases of in appropriation of funds in the public enterprises and improper accountability. These factors have led to a lot of public enterprises going into oblivion. If the government has recognized the role of accounting all these causes should not have arise. No enterprise can move forward without having a well organized financial department to give accurate financial information about the firm.
SHORT BACKGROUND HISTORY OF THE CASE STUDY UDO DILI UMU IBE COMPANY & NEPA
Udo Dili Umu Ibe Company is a company charged with overall responsibility of formulating and implementing effective and efficient transportation policies essential for the economic, social and political development of the Nigeria economy. The company is under the leadership of Chief John Mamah who as its managing director, has the general responsibility for the assignment of corporate objectives and management of the resources of the company. Another key officer or the Chief Accountant Mr. Christian Eze. The company started in the year 1980 and has being into existence till date.
BELOW IS THE LIST OF THE DIRECTORS FROM 1980 TILL DATE:
NAMES; 1. Engr. Felix Okoh 180-1985 2. Mr. Victor O. Ugwu 1985-1990 3. Mr. Kema Chikwe 1990-1994 4. Dr. Ifeanyi Ikeh 1994-1997 5. Hon. Dan. Okeke1997-2000 In order to achieve its set objectives the company is organized into five (5) departments as stated below: Departments
1. Personnel management
2. Finance and supply
3. Planning, research and statistics
4. Transport co-ordination and inspectorate.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Obviously, every private and public enterprises in Nigeria have their accounting departments. And there are increasing cases of financial mismanagement in visually all the public and private organizations in Nigeria. The problem of this study lies on how the managers of the enterprises are able to recognize the role of accounting in their sectors so that these case of improper accountability will be minimized or if possible total eradication in our society.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this research work is to find out the role of accounting in the control of private and public sectors in Nigeria with reference to UDO DILI UMU IBE COMPANY AND NEPA.
1. To determine the extent to which accounting generally affects the economic activities of the private and public sectors in Nigeria.
2. To examine how managers adequately and efficiently apply the role of accounting in their organizations.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Has accounting principles has any control over public and private sectors in Nigeria economy?
2. What training method can improve the manager’s skill, knowledge and experience such that high concentration will be given to the accounting control in private and public sector?
3. What will be done so that there will be perfect accountability in the accounting section of any organization?
4. What type of accounting standard or technique will be applied to see to the maintenance of accuracy in the accounting control of public and private sectors in Nigerian economy?
5. How will managers of the enterprises are able to recognize the role of accounting in their sectors so that these cases of improper accountability will be minimized or eradicated.
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the purpose of this study, following hypothesis are used:
Ho – The role of accounting in the control of public and private sections is independent on both sectors.
Hi – The role of accounting in the control of public and private sectors is dependant on both sectors.
Ho – accounting control of public and private sectors has affects to the economic activities in both sectors of the economy.
Hi – Accounting control of public and private sectors has not affects to the economic activities on both sector of the economy.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
In this study, the researcher has set out to examine the role of accounting in the control of private and public sectors in this country Nigeria mostly concerned with Udo Dili Umu Ibe Company and NEPA with highlights of the inherent problems encountered in the accounting departments of most organizations. It is expected that this work will be of interest to the owners of business enterprises, the government and the public. To shareholders, owners of the enterprises, interested persons and the government, this study is expected to kindly their interest the more and they will take note of various recommendation mentioned here and help steer the management team towards forming a sound accounting departments which would enable organizations to present an accurate financial information of the firm. This study will also help to serve as literature to individuals or corporate bodies who want to carry out further research on the role of accounting in the private and public sectors in Nigeria.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5
You can also check other Research Project here:
1, Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria