Full Project-THE IMPACT OF CBN CURRENT REFORMS ON THE NIGERIA BANKING SECTORS
THE IMPACT OF CBN CURRENT REFORMS ON THE NIGERIA BANKING SECTORs,
THE IMPACT OF CBN CURRENT REFORMS ON THE NIGERIA BANKING SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK PLC IN ENUGU METROPOLIS)
The national apex bank, the central bank of Nigeria (CBN), since its establishment in 1958 has been preoccupied with the goals of ensuring the smooth running and satisfactory performance of the banking sector so as to enable it perform its leading role in the entire financial sector of promoting economic growth and international acceptability of the Nigerian banking practice. To achieve these goals, policies and subsequent reforms were promulgated. Some of the reforms were over-reaching and counter to each other. As a result, it has not been easy for the financial analysts to make good assessment of the impact of these reforms on the banking sector. Burning with the seal to crack this puzzle, the researcher chose this topic “The impact of CBN Reforms on the Nigeria Banking Sector (a case study of Union Bank Plc in Enugu metropolis)”. The information for the study was collected using primary and secondary methods of data collection. For the primary data collection, questionnaires, personal observations and oral interviews were used while existing literature relevant to the topic was consulted for the secondary data. The researcher used chi-square statistical model to analyze the data. Two major findings were made: CBN current reforms have a significant impact on the Nigeria banking sector. High proportion government borrowing from banks instead of capital market tends to push up lending rate. Two major recommendation were proffered, viz government has to borrow more from the capital market than banks so as not to whip up lending rates, and banks should not focus on opening more branches and acquiring more assets but should, instead, discourage handing of cash in favour of automation of banking operations. The researcher suggested possible extension to the study by looking into the effect of insurance and capital market reforms on the economic growth.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page … …… … … … … … i
Certification page … … … … … … … ii
Dedication … … … … … … … … iv
Acknowledgement … … … … … … … v
Abstract … … … … … … … … … vi
Table of contents…… … … … … … … vii
1.1 Background of the study… … … … … 1
1.2 Statement of the problem… … … … … 5
1. 3 Objective of the study …… … … … … 6
1.4 Research question … … … … … … 7
1.5 Research hypothesis … … … … … 8
1.6 Significance of the study … … … … 9
1.7 Scope and limitation of the study… … … … 9
1.8 Definition of terms… … … …… … … 10
Review of Related Literature
2.1 Recent Developments in the Banking Sector 13
2.2 Banking Sector: Analysts Assess Impact of
CBN’S Reforms … … … … … … … 15
2.3 CBN Reforms key to Sanity in Banking Sector 24
2.4 The Nigerian Financial Sector Reforms:
the Journey so far … … … … … 44
2.5 Establishment of the Nigeria deposit insurance
corporation (NDIC)… … … … … 47
2.6 Promulgation of the CBN Act no. 24 of 1991
and the Banks and other Financial Institutions act
(BOFIA) no. 25 of 1991 … …… … … 50
2.7 Introduction of prudential guidelines in 1990 … 52
2.7.1 Introduction of Universal Banking…… … 54
2.7.3 Removal of Credit Ceilings …… … 55
2.8 The Nigerian Bank Consolidation Programme of 2005 55
References … … … … … 64
Research Design and Methodology
3.1 Research design … … … … …… 68
3.2 Sources of data … … … …… … … 68
3.3 Population and Sample size …… … … 70
3.4 Method of investigations…… … … … 72
Presentation and Analysis of Data
4.1 Analysis of Data … … … … … 75
4.2 Hypothesis Testing… … … … … 80
Summary of Findings, Conclusions and Recommendations
5.1 summaries of findings … … … 85
5.2 Conclusions … … … … … … … 87
5.3 Recommendations … … … … … … 89
Bibliography … … … … … … 93
AppendixI… … … … … … … 97
Appendix II … … …… … … … 98
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Economic growth has long been considered an important goal of economic policy with a substantial body of research dedicated to explaining how this goal can be achieved. Most of the empirical studies have focused on explanatory variables selected on the basis of their relevance to policymakers or because of other theoretical predictions. See for instance, Barro 1991; Levine and Renelt 1992.
However, while most prior empirical studies have focused on economic and non economic determinants of growth in developed and developing economies, there has been very little study focusing on the relationship between the banking sector and economic growth in developing economies. The handful of studies undertaken has focused on transition economies of central and eastern European and the Baltics. Tuuli (2002) explained that although there has been numerous empirical studies on the determinants of growth in transition economies “the relationship between financial markets and economic growth, however, has largely been ignored. To our knowledge, the only study that empirically tests the relation between financial markets and economic growth in transition countries is Drakos’s (2002) paper on the effects of banking sector’s structure on economic performance.” Tuuli’s (2002) study however has some shortfalls: it equates financial sector reforms with banking sector reforms; it uses unbalanced panel data from 25 transition countries as variables which were either not always available or were unavailable for identical periods for each country, and it ignores structural differences amongst the countries.
sector as it describes transactions costs within the sector”. Also, Elbadawi (1992) found that high exchange rate premiums (i.e. the difference between the parallel and official market exchange rates), lead to lower revenue generation from official exports, increased difficulties in controlling inflation and an acceleration of capital flight.
As a result, there remains a gap in understanding the causal relationship between banking reforms and economic growth in developing economies. Focusing on the Nigerian economy, a country whose banking industry has witnessed a large number of reforms in a relatively short time, the aim of this paper is to attempt to rectify this gap in economic literature by investigating whether recent banking sectors have had any effect in stimulating economic growth in Nigeria.
Based on theoretical considerations, annual time series data from 1999 – 2009 will be used to develop econometric models that capture the interrelationship between the country’s economic growth over this period, and relevant parameters. Policy directions aimed at stimulating sustainable economic growth and an agenda intended to implement the outcome of this study will thereafter be recommended.
We conduct section 1 with a brief overview of developments within the Nigerian banking sector. A short review of relevant literature and discussion of the theoretical framework is undertaken in section 2. Data sources and econometric models are specified in section 3. Section 4 presents the outcome of the data analyses while section 5 suggests policy recommendations on the basis of the outcome of our analyses and suggests possible extension to the study.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Absence of policies and regulations in any human endeavour culminates in chaos and eventual failure. In similar vein, when there are policies and regulations and they fail to achieve the objectives for which they are formulated, the signification is malfunction.
Reforms are introduced when the aforementioned scenarios prevail. The first scenario held sway prior to 1958 when the central Bank of Nigeria was established by virtue of the central Bank Act of 1958.
The problem seemed to persist and, consequently in recent times, the CBN subjected the banking sector to a spate of reforms in quick succession which blured the proper evaluation of their effect, and there arose, as a result, the problem and the need to properly determine the impact of the reforms on the Nigeria banking sector with particular reference to union Bank of Nigeria Plc in Enugu Metropolis.
Other problematic issues that need to be addressed are:
1. The relevance of CBN current reforms in the economic growth of Nigeria.
2. The extent to which the reforms have been implemented in the banking sector.
3. The determination of the influence of CBN current reforms on the financial performance of union bank plc.
Existing literature revealed that before the establishment of the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1958, there were about 185 banks and majority of them failed. After the establishment of the Central Bank, the apex bank came up in quick succession with a lot of regulations and counter-regulations which made it uneasy for the analysts to [properly determine their impacts. Hence, the question; what are the impacts of CBN current reforms on the Nigeria banking sector? There exist other problems that relate to the one above which the researcher has the burning desire to address.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the impact of CBN current reforms on the Nigerian banking industry with
particular reference to Union bank Plc in Enugu metropolis. Some other objectives of this study are:
1. To determine the relevance of CBN current reforms in economic growth of Nigeria.
2. To assess the impact of the current reforms in Nigerian banking sector.
3. To determine how the reforms have is been implemented in the banking sector.
4. To determine the influence of CBN current reforms on the financial strength of Union bank plc.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
The following research questions were formulated in this research work:
1. What are the relevance of CBN current reforms in the economic growth of Nigeria?
2. What are the impact of CBN current reforms on Nigerian banking sector?
3. How have the current reforms been implemented in the banking sector?
4. What are the influences of CBN current reforms on the profitability of Union bank plc?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
For the purpose of the study, the following hypotheses were formulated:
Ho: CBN current reforms do not have any impact in Nigerian banking sector.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria