Full Project – The Effect of Management Information System on Achievement of Organization Objectives
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The focus of this research study is on the effect of Management Information System (MIS) in the achievement of organizational objectives. Information is an indispensable resources in every organization, be it profit oriented organization. We are actually in an information era, though organization had passed through different era, the manufacturing and industrial era. An organization activity gets improved with timely accurate and pertinent information that helps to make better decisions in every organization.
Management Information System consists of people, equipment and procedures to gather, sort, analyze, evaluate and distribute accurate timely and pertinent information or management decision makers. This chapter is broken down into sub-headings via background of the study, scope of the study, research hypothesis, research quest ions, significant of all study, limitation of the study and definition of terms. Each sub-heading is discussed one after the other below.
The problem of Management Information System (MIS) is an important tool to achieving organizational objectives is challenging to managers of any organization especially the modern day managers. No organization can realize its goals and objectives without a conscious effort using a well organized management information system, thus organization are concerned with goal achievement having mobilized and allocated resources including information.
The essence of this study is to show the effect of management information system (MIS) to management and to ascertain whether it has helped in facilitating decision making or management and to determine the extent to which it has enacted planning, control and operational function of an organization.
Planning requires management information system. The managers have to retrieve information system is the reception of facts and ideas and it is very essential to organization as in their planning and contribution functions. In terms of achievement of organizations objectives, accurate information is necessary.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The essence of every research undertaking is to solve teething and novel problems posing serious threats to the life success and survival of any organization. We can as well say that management information system in its own respect is the life wire for any organization and it has been widely used and acknowledged. It’s a very long sensitive function used by management.
Many organizations have realized their targets with the aid of management information system (MIS) and still there is lack of management expertise in adequately managing their information system for improvement although they might have one form of information or the other. Let us state the inherent problems that bedevil the management of organization like NITEL so as to have a focus at to determine the solutions by the end of the work. Such inherent factors are:
- That most organizations do not have efficient management information system and if they have, their information systems are not effective as to its role towards goals and objective attainment.
- Most managers are governed by intuition and management self judgment as to what course of action to follow in their planning and decision making function. Many of them as a matter of fact do not make use of the information supplied to them from within and outside the organization and if they do, to some degree they receive from the business environment.
- There is also the problem of evaluating the impact of management information system towards the achievement of objectives. Many managers are yet to capitalize and utilize information for decision making and goal attainment.
Therefore, the question as to whether management information system (MIS) enables organization achieves their objectives has to be addressed in this research study.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to show the effect of management information system (MIS) to organization and to check if it has helped to facilitate the decision making process of management of an organization. The researcher also intends to show the impact of management information on business organization. Specifically, the purpose of this study includes these below:
- To determine the extent to which organization have and make use of information system.
- To ascertain the effectiveness of their information system and how goals are achieved through them.
- To evaluate the problems militating against the management information system of NITEL Owerri.
- To evaluate the relationship between the effect of management information system and organizational objectives of NITEL.
- To identify how effective management information system is to decision making.
- To find out the extent to which organization have recommend the most appropriate management information strategies that would be adopted by them in order to achieve their objectives.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
In order to get a clear picture and focus for this study, we can pose serious questions necessary for the solution of the problems we have identified in solution 1.2 above that such question includes:
- To what extent is management information system essential to business organization?
- How does management make use of the information system to achieve their goals and objectives?
- What are the problems militating against the management information system in NITEL in Owerri?
- Is there any relationship between management information system and organization objectives of NITEL in Owerri?
- To what extent has organization adopted the technological innovation of system device like the computer and the internet?
- To what extent does effective management information system in NITEL Owerri helps in planning and decision making?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
- Ho: Management Information system in NITEL Owerri is not effective for planning and decision making.
Hi: Management information system in NITEL Owerri is effective for planning and decision making.
- Ho: Management information system has not been helping the NITEL organization to achieve its goals and objectives.
Hi: Management information system has been helping the NITEL organization to achieve its goals and objectives.
- Ho: There is no significance relationship between management information system and organization objective.
Hi: There is no significance relationship between management information system and organization objective.
NOTE: From the above research hypothesis, Ho means non-hypothesis while Hi means alternative hypothesis.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this study cannot be overemphasized. It will be of great use to the under listed groups and how it will be are also underlined.
- To the Profit and Non Profit Organization: The study will yield accurate and pertinent information which no doubt is a viable tool for sound decision making.
- To the Employees: The benefit of this study is to show the most appropriate management information system that will enable them carryout their duties in the organization.
- To the Government: The benefit of this study is to facilitate decision making to help government to determine the extent to which it will enable the planning control and operational functions of the government to attain the standard of efficiency required from them.
- To the Researcher: This study has been of great significance as it helps the researcher to widen his scope of knowledge in management information system.
- To Academicians: It opens up areas where further work need to be done.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The case study of this study is restricted to Nigeria Telecommunication Plc (NITEL) Owerri office. The findings from the study of the effect of management information system (MIS) in NITEL Owerri will be used to generalize effectiveness of MIS in both branches, nationwide and also to any other organization.
As the above statement indicates, the entire study focuses on NITEL as an instrument of the federal government realizing its goals of making information and communication network worth while in Nigeria for effective coverage of its assignment NITEL overall objective is to make telecommunication easy both at the local and at the international level.
1.8 LIMITATION OF STUDY
We were faced with so many limitations. The study demands that a lot of resources, time energy, intellectual ability and carefulness be deployed. Thus these no doubt erupted limitations, since it is very difficult to actualize them as supposed.
However, the most difficult or limitation is the time factor, in spite of the length period allowed, the researcher find it difficult to cope with since he is doing the study and at the same time still have lectures to attend to. Additionally, is the cost to execute the study which also no doubt poses a threat.
1.9 DEFINITIONS OF TERMS.
- Management: Precisely, management is defined as the combination of material and human resources to achieve goals (Mauser and Schwartx, 1979). Management is defined as the process of achieving organizations goals through the coordinated performance of six specific functions of planning, organizing, communicating, controlling, staffing and motivating (Agu, et al, 2000).
- Information: Information is anything capable of affecting the uncertainty associated with a given situation. Information is seen as a meaningful input from which decision are made (Hagues, 1976). They are data’s processed into a meaningful state ready for use.
- System: A system is a means by which an organization achieve it goals. According to Oparah, et al, (2006), system is seen as an established or organized procedure or a method.
- Organization: According to Opara et al (2006), an organization is the internal environment where business activities are carried out. It consists of units with a clear out division of labor and experts employed and trained for different business function.
- Goals: Are specific short term and quantitative statement of an organization performance target.
- Objectives: Are broad and qualitative statement about an organization performance target. Objectives are integral to plan because they specify future conditions that the planner deems satisfactory.
- Data: Simply defined as raw facts. Similarly data is seen as any figure, word, letter, charts or symbols that attempt to convey a condition, situation or idea (Agu, et al, 2001).
- Planning: Simply put as the process of deciding in advance what to do, how to do and who to do a particular task so as to actualize the overall goal of an organization. In the words of Agu, (2000), planning is the process of the organization determining the strategies, policies and procedure that are necessary to achieve a stated objectives.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Project Topics
- Actuarial Science
- Adult Education Project Topics
- African Languages And Linguistics Studies
- Agricultural Economics And Extension
- Agricultural Science
- Animal Health Science
- Arts Education
- Banking & Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Basic Science
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Research Project
- Botany Research project Topics
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Business Plan
- Chemical Engineering Project Topics
- Civil Engineering Project Topics
- Climate Change Project
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science
- Computer Science Topics
- Criminology Research Project
- Degree Project Topics
- Dissertation-Theses Writing Services (MBA MSc PhD)
- Dissertations/Theses Writing Services
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Topics and Material
- Economics Project Topics
- Edu 1
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- Educational Technology
- Engineering Research Project Topics
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Fine Art
- Fishery Project Topics
- Food Science And Technology
- Free Essay
- French Research Project Material
- Full Project
- Full Project Topics
- Geography Research Project Material
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Home Economics Project
- Hospitality Management
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Human Resource Management Project
- Industrial Relations & Personnel Management Project Topics
- Insurance Research Project
- International Relations
- Library Science
- Life Matter
- Linguistics and Communication Project Topics
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project
- Mass Communication
- Master Dissertation Thesis
- Mathematics Education
- MBA MSc BSc Thesis/Dissertation Project Topics
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Mental Health Project Topics
- Operation and Production Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Organizational Behaviour Research Project Writer
- Pol 1
- Pol 2
- Political Science
- Private Policy
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- Purchasing and Supply Chain Management Topic
- Quantity Surveying
- Research Project
- Research Project Topic
- Secretarial Administration
- Sickle Cell Research Project Topics
- Statistics Project Topics
- Transportation Management
- Vocational Education Project Topics
Full Project – The Effect of Management Information System on Achievement of Organization Objectives