Full Project – The development of a QR code scanner and generator for Android devices
THE DEVELOPMENT OF A QUICK RESPONSE CODE (QR CODE) SCANNER AND GENERATOR FOR ANDROID DEVICES.
A QR code (an acronym for Quick Response code), was invented in 1994 by Masahiro Hara from the Japanese company Denso Wave, it is a type of barcode that can be read easily by digital devices such as android devices and it stores information as a series of pixels in a square-shaped grid. The information stored in a QR code can include website URLs, phone numbers, details about a particular product it is attached to, Authenticate online accounts and verify login details or a transaction details just like in remita. Having a QR code is very vital and its reliable in storing sensitive information and such information can be distributed easily when the need arise in their original form without data loss or manipulation.
Therefore, due to the rapid and increasing number of android users, this research project is aiming at getting the android users a multi-tasking application which can scan and also generate a QR code.
Education sector in developing countries is a vast sector and it is expanding rapidly. With respect to the scanner growth technologies, educational institutions are still lagging behind. For the purpose of record keeping, identification of the students, staffs, and other employees of an institution, they still rely on manual handwriting, scanning and storing of the data. If proper Scanner system is introduced, then it would be much easier to scan, track and also retrieve information. Therefore, in this research I’m implementing an android application for generating and scanning of such QR code. Information can be found by scanning the QR code with QR Scanner application in your device and also when you need to store information, you can store the information in various form such as text and the application automatically generate a QR code containing the information.
QR codes can be used for multiple purposes for instance during the Covid-19 pandemic, QR codes were used for corona-virus tracing. For example, in the UK, visitors to hospitality venues such as bars and restaurants are invited to scan a QR code upon arrival using the NHS Covid-19 tracing app. This is to help trace and stop the spread of the virus. If someone tests positive for Covid-19 at that venue, other visitors to the location are alerted by an app, thanks to the data accumulated from QR code scans.
Some other uses of the QR code include:
- Get access to all your social media pages.
- Read a Word document.
- See an event invitation.
- Download your mobile application.
- Watch a video on Youtube.
- Get your Bitcoin address for crypto traders.
Types of QR code
There are four widely accepted versions or types of QR codes. The version used determines how data can be stored and is called the “input mode”. It can be either numeric, alphanumeric, binary, or kanji.
- Numeric Mode – This is for decimal digits 0 through 9. Numeric mode is the most effective storage mode, with up to 7,089 characters available.
- Alphanumeric Mode – This is for decimal digitals 0 through 9, plus uppercase letters Athrough Z, and symbols $, %, *, +, –, ., /, and : as well as a space. It allows up to 4,296 characters to be stored.
- Byte Mode– This is for characters from the ISO–8859–1 character set. It allows 2,953 characters to be stored.
- Kanji mode – This is for double–byte characters from the Shift JIS character set and used to encode characters in Japanese. This is the original mode, first developed by Denso Wave. However, it has since become the least effective, with only 1,817 characters available for storage. A second kanji mode called Extended Channel Interpretation (ECI) mode can specify the kanji character set UTF–8. However, some newer QR code readers will not be able to read this character set.
There are two additional modes which are modifications of the other types:
- Structured Append Mode
- FNC1 Mode
What are the different styles of QR code?
It is possible to create QR codes in many different shapes and styles, but five types are most commonly found. They all do the same job, and they just look slightly different.
- QR code – This is the original version of the QR code created by Denso Wave in the 1990s. It’s easy to identify by its three finder patterns in the bottom–left, top–left, and top–right corners.
- Aztec code – While it looks similar to a QR code, the Aztec code, developed by Welch Allyn, contains only one finder pattern, right in the middle.
- Maxi code – This type of QR code is used by the United States postal service. It’s similar to the Aztec code in that it places the finder pattern in the middle, but it uses a honeycomb pattern instead of squares.
4.PDF417 – Invented in 1991 by Ynjiun Wang of Symbol Technologies, the oddly named PDF417 predates the QR code by three years. It looks like a mix between a QR code and a barcode and is easily recognizable by its rectangular shape.
- Semacode – Developed by a software company of the same name, the Semacode is a data matrix that looks a lot like an ordinary QR code but doesn’t have recognizable finder patterns.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY:
Nowadays, with the rapid growth in human population, people need to be identified and it is now a must for any organization, educational institution and company to make use of the QR code (SCANNER). In some academic institutions a Scanner is compulsory, QR code is to be the summary of any students, faculties or employees. It is very essential for institutions and company to provide Scanner to each and every student or staff. The QR code is generally concerned to be the summary of a student, faculty and employee’s information. This project is being created to lessen their effort in terms of identification. The SCANNER is a pure automated solution and it will help to generate the student, faculty and employee’s QR code containing their details. It is a special type of software which will be used to make an advance Scanner with QR code instead of the bar code. For instance, business card does have only QR code facility and will add all the features in one Scanner. This software will act as a smart Scanner. Another important point is, it can find an open source which means it will be available for free.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM:
QR Codes are cost-effective, universally applicable and help you reach your target audience in the offline world and connect them directly to your digital platforms, but one of the disadvantage of QR codes and perhaps the biggest problem is the lack of familiarity of the QR code among people. Although QR codes are popping up everywhere from on plant specimen labels to library catalogues, there is a large number of people in the society that still don’t know what QR codes is meant for and what it represent.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES:
The aim of the research is to develop a multitasking application which can scan and also generate QR code, the application is compactable to all android devices which will ensure the safety of valuable information, and data of every android user who wish to use it.
Specific Objectives include:
- To gather information from the previously existed systems in other to understand the challenges and bring a solution.
- To develop a QR Code Scanner application for android devices.
- To validate the application.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY:
The significance of these studies is to implement the proper use of SCANNER for the benefit of the groups which include, Employees (for the Employees this will serve as their secondary time cards and keeping their data), Students (For the students will serve as their security for their identification, their information, process of securing their grades), Business Organizations (for business organizations, it will serve as a means for the them to advertise their products and also store information), End-Users of a product (for the end users of a product or consumers, it will be used to trace certain information about the particular product or item it was attached to), Future researchers (the future researchers can make use of this research work as their reference for their project).
1.5 DEFINATION OF TERMS
QR: which stands for “quick response” – code is basically a barcode on steroids. While the barcode holds information horizontally, the QR code does so both horizontally and vertically. This enables the QR code to hold over a hundred times more information
SCANNER: scanner, also called optical scanner, computer input device that uses a light beam to scan codes, text, or graphic images directly into a computer or computer system. Optical scanners are also used in fax machines and to input graphic material directly into personal computer. A scanner in general, is any device capable of converting a hardcopy document into a softcopy or digital form.
ANDROID: Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software, designed primarily for touch screen.
CODE: a code is a system of rules or a system of communication to convert information such as letter, words, sounds, images or gesture into another form. often with randomly assigned numbers and letters given specific meaning, they are sometimes shortened or secret.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Full Project – The development of a QR code scanner and generator for Android devices