Full Project – The contribution of local government to the transformation of rural areas
- Background of the Study
In developing nations like Nigeria, the large majority of population live in rural areas where communication problem makes it difficult, if not impossible for the central government to reach many people. Hence, the significance and importance of local government cannot be over-emphasized. Despite the strategic role of the local governments in transforming rural areas many people do not really know or appreciate what it is all about. It is therefore important to explain the meaning of the concept.
Local government refers to the government at the local level exercised through representative councils established by law to exercise specific powers within defined areas. These powers give the council substantial control over the local affairs as well as the staff, institutional and financial matters. By this power, they initiate and direct provision of services, they determine and implement projects so as to complement the activities of the state and federal government in their areas. They also ensure through devolution of functions of this council and through the mobilization of the people and their traditional institution that local initiatives and responses to local needs and condition are maximized (1976 local government reforms).
Local governments are potentially better placed than the state or federal government to provide to a large extent the necessary social services such as basic health facilities, federal aspects of our country like employment opportunities, construction of federal roads and provision of social and basic amenities, to mention but few.
- Statement of the Problem
The statement of research problem simply means that if one wants to solve a problem, one must have generally known what the problem is all about. Besides, it can be said that a large part of the solution lies in knowing what the researcher intends to do.
A typical research problem in Local Government and Transformation is lack of cooperation of the local government legislators. If the local government legislature refused to cooperate with the policy which could bring about the effectiveness of the transformation, this may stand as a problem to the transformation of the place by the local government.
One of the most difficult problems encountered in the transformation, we can say is issue of crises that is contributing negatively to the transformation because in a way that crises today crises tomorrow could take attention away from the new programs that government may intend of doing. Such are programs or projects may become abandoned projects.
That the several local government programme on rural development have never been fully implemented due to lack of proper planning.
The researcher is intends to look at various ways local government can transform the life of rural area and to give suggestions on how to carryout this task.
- Objectives of the Study
This research work critically examines the activities Mopa-Muro Local government area of Kogi State since its inception and tries to establish whether or not these activities are in agreement with the role expected of the local governments in Nigeria.
Accordingly, this study therefore examines the following among others.
- To ascertain the developmental needs of Mopa-Muro local government area.
- To assess the responsiveness of Mopa-Muro Local government to these needs as expected of her.
- To evaluate the factors that militate against the local government’s effectiveness in responding to its responsibilities.
- To evaluate the factors that militates against the local government’s effectiveness in responding to local government area.
- To recommend ways and means by which the development services of the local government may be improved.
- Research Questions
The following are the research questions
- What are the developmental needs of Mopa-Muro local government area?
- How can the Local government respond to the needs of rural area?
- What are the factors that militate against the local government’s effectiveness in responding to its responsibilities?
- What are the functions of local government in transforming the rural area?
- What are the ways and means by which the development services of the local government may be improved?
- Significance of the Study
The significance of this study includes the following:
- The study is significant to researchers because it is one of the requirements for the award of Higher National Diploma in Public Administration of Kogi State Polytechnic.
- The research work will help the local government a lot in the formulation of strategies for mobilization for an integrated rural development of rural areas.
- The future researchers will as well utilize this research as a literature review.
- The local government being used as our case study will benefit from this research work by way of implementing our recommendations.
- This research work will enable the reader of this study to be aware in order to achieve national or overall development.
- 6 Scope and Limitations of the Study
This research work will center on the activities of Mopa-Muro local government area with specific focus on the socio-economic and political activities.
In the course of writing this project, the problems the researcher encountered include the following:
- Time factor: there is no sufficient time to carry out this project work.
- Inadequate Finance: This constituted a major constraint in the process of this write up because there was no enough fund to carry out the project due to the increase in the cost of transportation and reading material.
- Inadequate Information: The inability to access the essential facts and information that would have been good materials for this research work. The researcher was unable to get all fact needed.
- Respondents’ Attitude: The poor attitude of respondents is another challenge because the researcher had to spend much time convincing the respondents on the need to provide an objective answer to the research
1.7 Definition of Terms
Contribution: An action or service that helps to cause or increase
Local Government: This refers to the government at the local level exercised through representative council established by law to exercise power within defined area and has substantial control over affairs as well as the staff and the institutional power to initiate and direct the provision of services to the local government.
Transformation: This refers to the total development of production so as to bring into qualification change in the living condition of man.
Rural Development: This refers to the process by which efforts of the people themselves are united with government authorities to improve the economic social and cultural condition of the rural area or community so as to integrate the communities into life of the national congress. It can be measured so on in terms of rural development source.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management