Full Project-TENANCY LAWS, MULTIPLE TAXATION AND RESIDENTIAL HOUSE RENTS.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Lagos State can be described as the Nigeria’s commercial capital, is the country’s most active and most expensive rental market where tenants at its highbrow areas pay expensively for residential apartment while similar apartments in the low-mid income areas go for amount. Apart from high demand and low supply, there are other factors responsible for this high rent and, according to Akinlade (2014), the Lagos Tenancy Law and multiple taxation are driving up house rents in Lagos. Recognizing that Lagos is home to over 21 million people, with housing posing a major challenge to the huge population, the state government in August 2011 enacted the Tenancy Law which prescribes one-year rent for a new tenant and six months for a sitting tenant.
Akinlade (2014) explained that the single year rent payment law has discouraged investment in homes for rent and has pushed rent to new level, adding that, presently, landlords collect two years’ rent for one year in many locations in Lagos.He explained further that developers, through multiple taxation, were made to pay for land, planning and approval, environment, council and taxes.Access to land through government allocation is a battleground for money bags in Lagos. Planning approval takes forever, yet the government says it will take one to two months.
The Federal Government’s housing policies has not contributed enough for developers in that access to credit from banks was near-impossible for developers and developers that are lucky to receive loan offers must find over 150 percent security for the bank to hold; 25 percent interest rate on bank loans which is a killer for any developer’s business plan (Collins, 2003).
Other reasons for the high rent to include sale of Federal Government’s land in Lagos, high exchange rate to import building material, highly priced local building material, high fuel costs showing itself through transportation costs and generators, high labour costs, and inadequate design to maximize land space.
Lagos has seen 30 years of mass housing gap, because since after Lateef Jakande governed Lagos from 1979 to 1983, there has been no mass housing for rent. Jakande was the last governor of the state that successfully implemented and delivered mass housing policies for rent. For 30 years, successive governments ignored this need of Lagos residents. Jakande also commissioned a report on homes shortage in Nigeria, as at 2010, estimated at 16 million and projected to reach 20 million by 2020.
According to Affe (2008), it is fair to the citizens that government discharge its responsibilities to the people and give meaningful life to the citizens. This underscores the point why Land Use Charge was introduced by Lagos State Government to raise revenue for maintaining existing infrastructure and provide new ones. It is in line with this that the researcher is examining the effect of tenancy law and multiple taxation of residential house rent in Lagos State.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Lagos State is steadily emerging a multi-nuclei metropolis giving rise to a number of real estate submarkets. Notwithstanding, residential house rent has been abnormally high especially in the normally adjudged as juicier in some neighborhoods such as Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lekki-axis, Ikeja, Apapa, Isale-Eko and Amuwo-Odofin. However, researchers are of the opinion that the skyrocketed residential house rent in Lagos State is occasioned by several factors including the tenancy law introduced by the Lagos State government and multiple taxation. This study is examining the effect of tenancy law and multiple taxation on residential house rent in Lagos State.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
- To examine the effect of tenancy law on residential house rent in Lagos State.
- To examine the effect of multiple taxation on residential house rent in Lagos State.
iii. To identify other factors that determines residential house rent in Lagos State.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- What are the effects of tenancy law on residential house rent in Lagos State?
- What are the effects of multiple taxation on residential house rent in Lagos State?
iii. What are the factors that determine residential house rent in Lagos State?
Ho: Tenancy law and multiple taxation does not influence residential house rent in Lagos State.
Hi: Tenancy law and multiple taxation does influence residential house rent in Lagos State.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Findings from this study will educate the general public on how tenancy law and multiple taxation has affected residential house rent in Lagos State. It will also be a guide for policy makers and the government of Lagos State on how to checkmate the issue related to individuals or corporate body paying two or more types of tax at the same time. This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic
1.7 SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
This study will cover the tenancy law of Lagos state and all the issues of multiple taxation with a view of identifying their influence of residential house rent.
LIMITATION OF STUDY
Financial constraint– Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint– The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
Affe M (2008). Land Use Charge: Fasola Seeks Quantity Surveyors’Help. Saturday Punch, 51: 1411.
Collins C (2003). Infrastructure. Advanced Learner English Dictionary,41h ed. London: Harper Collins Publisher.
Akinlade IU (2014). Property Valuation and Appraisal. Owerri: BONPublications. Lagos State of Nigeria Official Gazette. Lagos StateGovernment of Nigeria. Lagos State Printing Corporation, lkeja.LSPC 566/72001/500 34: 20.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria