Full Project – TAXATION AS A SOURCE OF GOVERNMENT REVENUE IN NIGERIA
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Statement of problem
1.3 Objective of the study
1.4 Research Hypotheses
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Scope and limitation of the study
1.7 Definition of terms
1.8 Organization of the study
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW
3.0 Research methodology
3.1 sources of data collection
3.3 Population of the study
3.4 Sampling and sampling distribution
3.5 Validation of research instrument
3.6 Method of data analysis
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION
4.2 Data analysis
The Nigeria tax system had its share in terms of being adequately mobilized for increased revenue and fiscal actions. The State tax revenue is no exemption or Exception to the fact that the revenue generating ability is grossly inadequate to meet up its government functions.Taxation which is seen as compulsory payment made by the citizens of an entity (country) to the government is mis-constructed in terms, of what the government tax Agencies actually realizes from it.The term “Taxation” as a source of Government revenue with special reference on the state’s tax revenue sources, is seen in this study as a lopsided mobilization effort in some states, used as a case study. The research carried out, using the ratio analysis and the difference equation evidently pointed out the fact that some states likes Lagos, Anambra etc. is able to mobilized. A sizeable pool of revenue with recourse to depending on the federal government.
1.1 Background of the study
Taxation can simply be seen as a compulsory transfer or payment (or occasionally of goods and service) from private individuals, Institutions or groups to the government, Anyanwu, (1998). It is a burden which every citizen must bear to sustain his or her government. Another perspective of the definition has it that, taxation is the compulsory payment levied by the government on its citizens to generate revenue and control economic activities, hence it is backed by law. Taxation has not only influenced the economy, it has also become an important instrument of economic policy.Thus its importance lies primarily in its ability to raise capital formation of the public sector for the development and growth of the economy. Its regulatory roles of consumption and hence of stabilization as well as of income redistribution are accordingly derivatives of the primary to provide service for the community, whether to the individuals families or the wider community. Additional to their service role, however, most public service organizations under the State Government can that including seeking a profit or contribution on that trade, and or they can make charge for some or all of their services. But since profit is not the main essence of these (corporations) establishments, taxation happens to be one of the avenue through which these corporations make up for administration expenses and revenue. The government has certain functions to perform for the benefits of those, it governs. The scope of these functions will depend, among other things, on the particular and economic orientation of the members of a particular society at a given point in time, Their needs and aspirations and their willingness and ability to pay tax. As the functions of the government increase, the revenue of financing those functions must necessarily increase. Nigeria operates a federal system of government which allows the division of powers among different (3) tiers of government which includes the federal, State and Local Government.In all the ability to differentiate or divide the taxing power of these tiers seems simple enough when it comes to the terms of starting the various types of taxes that are available within this various tiers. But for the course of this study the various types of taxes levies collected by the State Government includes:
- Federal allocation
- Income from sale of crude oil
- Mining and royalties
- Renting of government properties
- Profit from government investments
- Fees and specific charges, etc.
Hence, both tax and non-tax sources of government revenue listed above will be discussed in detail in the next chapter.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The administration of tax as a major source of government revenue in every country, especially in Enugu State by the State Board of Internal Revenue faces a lot of challenges such as administrative problem like poor management, lack of adequate financing to meet up with the administrative costs, lack of adequate taxmachinery, employment of inexperienced and unskilled personnel, embezzlement of generated revenue by the tax collector, authority of the government which discourages people from paying tax.Another problem is the problem of tax evasion and avoidance by the public especially, self employed individuals. According to Jude (2005) self-employed people do not comply with tax matters. They avoid and evade tax. Consequently, enough tax revenue is not generated from them. One of the major causes of taxevasion by the self-employed people is the high rate of personnel income tax
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this research work:
- To determine and analyze various taxes that is charged in Enugu State from 1994 to 2012.
- To ascertain the total value of taxes collected during the period, year by year.
- To exhaust other revenuesources available to the State government through which more tax revenue would be generated.
- To determine other sources of revenueavailable to the State, apart from taxand how to improve.
- To make suggestion on ways of revenueimprovement accruing to the State from both taxes and non-tax
- To examine and evaluate taxcollection machinery of the State, its effectiveness and ways of making improvement.
- To ascertain the category of person taxable in the State and the extent of their compliance.
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: there are no various taxes that are charged in Enugu State from 1994 to 2012.
H1: there are various taxes that are charged in Enugu State from 1994 to 2012.
H02:there are no other sources of revenue available to the State, apart from taxand how to improve.
H2: there are other sources of revenue available to the State, apart from taxand how to improve
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The aim of the study is to evaluate the tax revenue generation in Enugu State of Nigeria and assess the tax collection machinery set in motion by the State. It will also evaluate other sources of revenue available to the State to know how much the government is exploiting these sources. Also, the work will examine how far the government implements tax policies, whether the tax administration machinery is efficient and if not how to improve it. The study will find out much of revenue generated by the State government comes from taxes and ways of improving it to increase the State government tax revenue generated.However, there is also the need to compare the tax generated from that of other States with that of Enugu State. This will help to evaluate the performance of Enugu State more and better tax revenue generation of the strategies with suggested improving tax revenue generated of the State so that funds will be available, provision of infrastructural facilities to the people when there is economic growth. The standard of living of the entire citizen of the State would be greatly improved.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research study is limited to the taxes under the administration of the State government using Enugu State government Board of Internal Revenue as the case study. It will evaluate the performance of the board with respect of taxadministration in the State. Other nontax revenue sources available to the State government will be looked into and suggestions towards tax and non-tax revenueadministration in the State will also be made. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
- a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
- b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
- c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Tax: Tax is a charge by government units against the income or wealth of person or organization for the common benefit of all.
Taxable Income: Taxable income is income subject to tax by any government authority.
Taxable Profit: Taxable profit amount of profit as computed under the provision of a particular tax law or revenue act upon which an income tax is levied.
Taxable Roll: Revenue (Government Accounting) is the gross receipts and receivable of a government unit derived from taxes custom and other sources, but excluding appropriation and allocation.
Accountability: It is the obligation of evidencing good management, control or other performance imposed by law, agreement or regulation as corporate executive trustees on public official and other persons controlling the financial policy of an organization or State.
An Executor: An executor is the person appointed in accordance with the provisions of the relevant law to administer the estate of deceased person.
Fund: In government and institutional accounting fund is a sum of money often created and maintained for particular purpose and having transaction subjection to legal or administration restrictions. Its double accounts are self-balancing and from their balance sheet and operating statement may be prepared. A separate budget is prepared for each fund.
Tax Evasion: This is an act which deals with illegal means of avoiding payment of tax. In other words, it is a deliberate refusal of tax payment by the tax payer.
Tax Avoidance: This is a legal means of avoiding payment of tax by the taxpayer.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows. Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria
Full Project – TAXATION AS A SOURCE OF GOVERNMENT REVENUE IN NIGERIA