Full Project – ROLE OF FRINGE BENEFITS MANAGEMENT ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
The exponents of scientific management Taylor (1911), and his followers – maintained that the basic motive of man at work was economic. Money was seen as a principal motivation instrument. While the motivating power of money and material rewards could not be ignored, emphasis later shifted from economic man to social man. (Ezeani. 2005:135). This was the outcome of the Hawthorne experiment conducted by Elton Mayo at the Western Electric Company. The experiment drew attention to the effects of group membership and interaction on production, attitude and job satisfaction. The study gave rise to human relations movement which maintained that man does not just work for money, that other personal and interpersonal considerations, such as personal worth, recognition, friendship, social pressures from group members and status are powerful in determining production and level of job satisfaction. (Osuji,1985:91). In other words, it has become increasingly clear that beyond economic needs, man has some social-psychological needs that should be stratified in order to elicit behaviour towards increased productivity.
Fringe benefits, incentives and welfare facilities represent additional sum to the worker. Enhancing the quality of human resource capital through comprehensive and progressive reengineering process in addition to system re-engineering, holds the key to effective re-position of any company to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
Wage incentives and fringe benefits are motivational factors. According to Croft, (1996:46), motivation can be defined as “impulses that stem from within a person and lead him to act in ways that will satisfy those impulses” In other words, the concept, motivation, implies that there is some driving force within individuals, which drives to attempt to achieve a goal or objective, in order to satisfy their need or needs. (Croft, 1996:46). Therefore to say that managers motivate their employees is to say that they do those things which they hope will satisfy those drives and desires and induce the subordinates to act in a desired manner. (Koontz et al, 1983:632).
Alugbuo (1981:13) asserts that people work to get reward for their efforts. The exchange of labour for financial rewards is the heart of pay process. People do not put forward their best unless they get reward for their work, based on what the current social and economic climate dictates as fair.
Ubeku (1975:301) stated that, the payment of good salaries and wages is fundamental to the increase in the prerequisite for effective performance. In order to motivate people to put maximum efforts, it is essential that their various needs, especially as it concerns their wages and other fringe benefits, be satisfied as far
as practicable. In Nigeria, the salary structure falls bellow the level to maintain efficiency of workers. The salary structure is not in line with the economic realities.
According to Papola (1970:79): “a just minimum wage to maintain not only the life but the health and the vigour of the working people is a law of necessity and knows no other law”.
The single most important obligation owed by an employer to an employee is to pay his or her wages. Typically, wages, salaries and other related costs (pensions, etc) make up about 60 percent of the total costs of running a major business. Employers, therefore have more than a passing interest in this aspect of their operations. There are other important influences on these activity-trade unions negotiating a higher price for labour, competitors seeking to attract the best staff and the state seeking to impose minimum standards of working conditions for all employees (Cole, 2005:30).
A benefit is an additional compensation given to employees as a reward for organization membership. Because of fringe benefits cost to employers, it is important to indicate the scope and the overall costs associated with providing such benefits to employees. According to Zolthistsch et al (1970:136), it‟s all financial and non-financial payments to employees that are over and above the agreed upon basic salary rate due to the employee for the minimum result expected on the job. Armstrong etal (1970:36) also said that “fringe benefits when combined with the basic pay of an individual forms that total remuneration which is the entire package of pay and benefits received by each employee, their value to an individual in more accurate basis for comparison with outside market rates than straight salary”.
When a worker believes that equity does not prevail; he is bound to withhold a measure of his productivity in order to restore equity. To encourage higher productivity, it is essential that a system of reward be designed that attempts to relate hard-work to reward.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM.
Currently, the poor performance, lack of dedication and commitment of workers have been a matter of concern and debate among government officials, private organization and the general public. How to improve the productivity of employees has been the topic of many seminars, symposia and conferences. The reasons for this trend, as well as appropriate avenue for the apportionment of blame, have formed the basis for the controversy. Many reforms in the public service such as work ethics, transparency, dedication and commitment to duties are some of the ways of trying to improve productivity of workers in the country.
Nigerian people have always come with the impression that generally, Nigerian workers are lazy, sleepy, reluctant to act, unconcerned and deceitful in their approach. These workers are said to lack the zeal, the briskness and the momentum of hardworking people and generally, they dislike hearing anybody talk about efficiency, dedication, competence, determination and productivity, of which characterize people in a production oriented society. In production oriented societies, the employers do every thing humanly possible to retain their workforce and also recruit high quality staff. The employers strive to boost the morals of their employees with a view to eliciting positive attitude towards work, while the workers respond by fashioning ways of making their organizations successful. In Nigeria, there is inadequate stimulus to attract such responses, so the workers are still performing below average, moral still down and efficiency still nil.
The problem of this study therefore, focuses on the low productivity in Enugu State Local Government Service Commission, in the face of irregular and inadequate salaries and other fringe benefits, between 1999 and 2007. The problem can best be described with some pertinent questions.
- Does the issue of irregular salaries/wages persists in Enugu State local government service commission?
- Does the issue of inadequate salaries/wage persists in Enugu State local government service commission?
- Are the levels of fringe benefits in Enugu state local government service commission affect the moral of workers?
- What can be done to enhance workers productivity in the commission?
- Are the salaries and other fringe benefits determined by collective bargaining;
the trade union and the management in the commission?
- What type of incentives and fringe benefits (financial/non-financial) boost the morale of workers of Enugu state local government service commission?
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The broad objective of the study is to find out the role of fringe benefits management on employee performance.
The specific objectives are:
- Identify why the issue of irregular salaries/wages persists in organizations especially in Enugu state local government service commission.
- Identify why the issue of inadequate salaries/wages persists in organizations especially in Enugu state local government service commission.
- Find out if the level of fringe benefits paid to workers in the commission affect the morale of workers.
- To find out the type of incentives that motivates the workers in the commission and also the relationship between these incentives and worker‟s productivity.
- Find out whether wages and other fringe benefits are determined by collective bargaining.
- To find out the whether financial or non-financial incentives boost the morale of the workers.
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Productivity improvement is significant because it has a bearing on the standard of living, the wages the employees can earn and the profit the organization can make. Productivity affects costs, prices, output, employments, and investments and thus plays a part in business fluctuation and in the rise and decline of industries. Understanding the effects of wage incentives and fringe benefits on productivity in the context of any organization helps in improving its efficiency and effectiveness. Therefore in order to achieve high productivity, those who are instrumental to the high level of productivity must be taken care of, their needs and welfare should be paid adequately and promptly. The employees should have their own share of the productivity dividends. Many researches have been conducted on the above subject matter on both private and public organizations but none has focused on Enugu state local government service commission. This study however, seeks to fill that vacuum, especially considering the fact that even though there are basic organizational principles, their applicability vary from one organization to another.
This work is expected to make some meaningful impact when applied to job situations in Enugu state local government service commission and many other organizations having similar problems. The research will equally discuss the means
through which wage incentives and fringe benefits can be used as practical measures to improve productivity. It will serve as a practical operating guide for those who wish to introduce productivity improvement techniques through incentive systems in their organizations.
Empirically, the research will serve as a blue print for organizational personnel who are experiencing decline in productivity and the method to prevent future occurrences. It will be of great help at any organizational level and to those who are responsible for the management of a work place-the executives, managers, supervisors, public administrators, government officials and other human resource managers.
Finally, it will serve as a theoretical base and also add to the existing body of knowledge on the effects of wage incentives and fringe benefits on productivity. It will serve as a resource material in business schools, management programmes, training sessions, development seminars and conferences on how best to motivate workers and improve productivity.
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
The study examines role of fringe benefits management on employee performance. The research work will analyze the activities of Enugu state local government service commission in relation to wage incentives and fringe benefits given to the workers of the commission. It has not been possible to generalize all the operational areas of the activities of the commission but to limit the boundary of the study to the policies regarding wage incentives and fringe benefits as it affects the seventeen local government areas of Enugu state.
The study will therefore concentrate on the effects of wage incentives and other fringe benefits on the productivity of workers of Enugu state local government service commission between 1999 and 2007.
Definition of Terms
Fringe Benefit: A fringe benefit is a form of pay for the performance of services. For example, you provide an employee with a fringe benefit when you allow the employee to use a business vehicle to commute to and from work.
Salary & Wages: Payments made to employees of the institution for work performed.
Compensation: This is the reward or payment gain to the provider of labour. A labourer disserves his wages. Compensation could also be retired to as remuneration.
Employee: An employee contributes labor and expertise to an endeavor of an employer and is usually hired to perform specific duties which are packaged into a job.
Motivation: Motivation of workers is very important in organizations. It is the driving force which compels a worker to be dedicated and diligent in his/her work.
Organization: An organization is a social group which distributes tasks for a collective goal.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria
Full Project – ROLE OF FRINGE BENEFITS MANAGEMENT ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE