Full Project-MARKET INTEREST RATES AND COMMERCIAL BANK PROFITABILITY
Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5
MARKET INTEREST RATES AND COMMERCIAL BANK PROFITABILITY (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC (2000 – 2004)
CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The Commercial Bank System shares a very important characteristic with other members of the financial sector and the rest of the business community; the desire to maximize profits and expand its share of the market. Commercial banks are profit-making enterprises and as such they share with other businesses the same set of expectations concerning the health of the economy.
Banks act as financial intermediaries collecting deposits from one group and lending it out to another group. In this role they are able to convert short-term deposits into long-term loans. They bring together people who have money to lend and people who need money. They banks thus act as intermediaries collecting deposits and paying interest on them and making loans and charging interest on the loans made to their customers.
It will be observed that interest is the key element in the performance of this intermediation function of the commercial bank. At high interest rates the cost of borrowing will be increased and prospective borrowers will shy away from borrowing only to show up when the interests are down.
In periods of economic upturn, commercial banks add to the money stock and thereby help to expand the demand for goods and services. However, once the economy arrives at full employment of workers and resources, a continued expansion of loans and deposits simply add to the price level increase.
On the other hand, if banks contract loans in periods of mild economic decline experts hold that there is not likely to be a drop in the price level. Thus banks share the general business outlook on economic conditions. Commercial banks in the absence of regulations tend to intensify whatever phase of the business cycle is current. This, they do through their ability to create and destroy money when making loans and investments.
Klein stated that banks have a responsibility that transcends that of other business enterprises. They are responsible for the creation, destruction and administration of our economy. As a consequence, hey are also responsible to great extent for the welfare of the economy.
This dual responsibility to itself as a business enterprise and to the nation puts a tremendous burden on the individual commercial bank if it acts in the national interest it may hurt its competitive positive. If its lending policy is conservative during periods of prosperity and full employment, it reduces its potential profits since banking business in Nigeria and to evaluate their effect on bank profitability.
The banker is faced with the problem of maintaining a balance between solvency, liquidity and profitability. Consequently, the commercial bank’s major and immediate challenge is how to manipulate the economic variables in order to ensure an optimum balance between solvency, liquidity and profitability.
The commercial banks can also be distinguished form other financial institutions primarily because of the difference in nature of their deposits liabilities and corresponding differences in the characteristics of their assets. One unique feature of the commercial bank is that they have short term, highly volatile deposit and liabilities. That would be useful as money in the normal run of event. They have a greater potential for credit creation more than other financial institutions. Since they exist to serve human needs which arrives from environmental condition to stimulate economic activities to maximize profits and provide adequate liquidity level in the system.
It is in compliance with the above issues that First Bank of Nigeria Plc is being used as a typical example to emphasize.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The Nigerian banking in recent times has witnessed so much fluctuation in market interest rates, which has called for concern. The market interest rate controversy has been addressed by experts with a lot of pessimism with different views regarding commercial banks profitability and the economy at large following the return from deregulation of interest rates to pegging in the 1991 budget.
Profitability of banking depends on the ability of the bank to arrange and perform its activities in order to trade off optimally between solvency, liquidity and profitability. This is by no means an easy task with the manipulation of several economic variables to the advantage of the bank. The problems associated with this can be expressed in question for as follows.
i. Are commercial banks in the country really profitable?
ii. Do market interest rates affect commercial banks profitability?
iii. If yes to what extend are effects and of what dimension, that is wither positive or negative.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF STUDY
Any human endeavour that has no specified objective is bound to fall. For this reason therefore, this study will have as its objectives the following:
i. Determine how commercial bank in Nigeria carryout their activities.
ii. Ascertain through the aid of available literature, the method of evaluating the profitability of commercial banks in Nigeria.
iii. Determine factors that make commercial banks’ profitability with particular reference to interest rates.
iv. To evaluate specifically the profitability of First Bank of Nigeria Plc.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5
You can also check other Research Project here:
1, Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria