Full Project-INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM IN THE CIVIL SERVICE
The study of internal control system as it is practiced in the civil service can not be over emphasize. The project which the researcher has worked on has to do with the civil service hence the topic internal control system in the civil service. (A Case study of Federal Ministry of Finance, Enugu). The researcher went ahead to determine the effective regulation of internal control system as a valuable tool in carrying out effective responsibilities, the objectives, process of control, the various organs of control, the weakness and strength of the internal control in the establishment. However the researcher based his study mainly on the financial Accounting and stores control though there are different types of controls established by the government for managerial efficiency. The research project is divided into five chapters. The introduction, Literature review, The research Design and methodology Data presentation and Analysis, and Finally The Summary of Finds, conclusion and recommendation were dealt with in they research project. Questionnaires were used well in gathering information for the project work.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The word control has been in use form time immemorial. In any type of organization one form of control or the other is exercised to see to the small family size to the large business organisation be it in the small family size to the large business organisation and the complex public sector or government institution. “Control means power or authority to direct order”. To have control authority, power over, regulate, check”. The last two words regulate and Check are of paramount importance to this study. The importance of control in any organization cannot be over emphasized, hence it was said that: “Without audit no accountability without accountability no control and if there is no control where is the seat of power? Internal controls as the term itself suggest involves various actions taken within an organisation to assist in checking, regulating and directing the activities of the organization.
The concept of internal control has endued gradually over the years, with the greatest period of development occurring during the decade beginning about 1940. Impetus for such developments came form both management and auditors. Management has recognised internal control as a valuable tools in effectively carrying out its responsibilities and auditors in their effort to be assistance to their clients as well as to permit reduction in and it work made by the concomitant increase in the credibility of accounting records. However, in Nigerian the history of financial and stores control in the civil service can be traced to 1958 when the finance (Control and Management ) Act was promulgated. Part 1 of the act provides for “General supervision and control” section 3 of the act goes thus:
Legislative control and Management of Public Finance
The Minister shall so supervise the expenditure and finances of the Federation as to ensure that a full account is made to the legislature and its financial control is maintained and for such purpose shall subject to the provisions of the constitution order and of this ordinance, have the management of the consolidated revenue fund and the supervision control and direction of all maters relating to the financial affairs of the federation which are not by law assigned to any other Minister” The 1979 Constitution of Nigeria also provides for such legislative control of the finances of the federation. In the federal civil services, no ministry can become self –accounting without establishing a well staffed audit section as a means of control over the activities of the accounts section. The provision for this is contained in the revised financial regulations of 1976. “The Accounting Officer of a ministry of Eritrea Ministerial department will ensure that subject tot he availability of staff an internal Audit unit is established to provide a complete and continuous audit of the accounts and records of revenue, expenditure plant allocated stores and unallocated stores where applicable.
The existence of internal audit unit will not divest any member of the ministry of extra-Ministerial department o the individual responsibilities placed upon him, neither will it obviate the necessity for normal departmental checks” mention must also be made of the Audit f 1956 although it is not part of internal control system, but the Federal Audit department oversees he work of all Ministries as external auditors making sure that all reasonable precautions have been taken to safeguard the collection if public monies and that the finance (Control and Management) Act is being dully observed. It is pertinent at this juncture to define internal control has a broader meaning than, financial accounting and stores matters. Such functions as budgetary control production quality control, staff training programmes and statistical analysis may be integral parts of the system, although not falling within the sphere of this study. In the civil service internal control can be broadly categorized into two namely, accounting controls and administrative controls.
a. Accounting controls comprise the plan of organization and all method and procedures that are concerned mainly with and relate directly to safeguarding of assets and the reliability financial records. They generally include such control as the systems of authorization and approvals separation of duties, concerned with records & keeping and accounting reports form those concerned with operations or asset custody, physical controls over assets and internal auditing.
b. Administrative controls comprise the plan or organization and all methods and procedures that are concerned mainly with operational efficiency and adherence to managerial policies and usually relate only indirectly to financial records. They generally include such control as statistical analysis time and motion studies performances reports and quality controls. The Federal Government has ways of controlling the activities of Ministries in their respective financial commitments, there are done by legislative, budgetary and other financial controls, for example issuing of annual warrants to the individual ministries by the minister of finance before any expenditure can be made.
Also there are established internal control systems or organs that make sure financial regulations are strictly complied with, and expenditures and revenue are properly accounted for, these organs are:
i. Internal Audit section
ii. In-built internal Checks
iii. Stores verifies
iv. Board of survey
v. Treasury Inspectorate.
1.2 THE STUDY
The study concerned mainly with the financial accounting and stores control even thought there are different types of control established by governments for management efficiency. The definition of internal control quotes earlier is not only applicable to business enterprises or private companies but also to the civil service.
1.3 PURPOSE OF STUDY
Despite the system of Internal control established in government institution, cases of financial Mis- management and fraud are rampant. Therefore, the purpose of this is to;
i. Examine the process of control, for example budgetary control, legislative control and other systems of financial controls.
ii. Examine the organs of control for example treasury Inspectorate, Board of Survey, internal Audit, Accounts section Audit, Accounts section, in –built internal checks and stores management.
To this end, efforts will be made to evaluate the composition and operations of these organs, types or process of controls and see if there are loopholes, test whether all the control mechanisms are being complied with identify the weakness that are allowing for fraud and malpractice.
1.4 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
On identification of the weakness existing is the internal control system with bias in financial and stores control effects will be made to see how these weakness can be strengthened by reducing all the factors affecting the operational efficiency in order to direct our limited human and materials resources to the economic and social growth of this nation.
1.5 POLICY RELEVANCE
The Federal Government is particular about the way public funds are being managed, hence it was once stated as one of the main objectives of the administration in 1984 that to “uphold the principle of public accountability and encourage the development of improved work ethics among the Nigerian workers. Having this in mind, a look into the issue of internal control system in government with special reference to financial and stores control will lead to the identification f the weakness and subsequent recommendations of strengthening such weakness to the policy makers and those who implement polices. This will serve a long way in improving the accountability of government expenditures and revenue, as well as reducing financial wastes.
1.6 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESIS
Financial mis-management, fraud, deviations form prescribed management polices and principles and presentation of unreliable accounting records and financial statements are due to inadequate internal control syteme in an organization.
1.7 SCOPE OF STUDY
As this research is a case study of federal ministry of finance Enugu; the population for the study will be chosen from the Accounting, Auditing a stores staff of their treasury Departments.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
i. INTERNAL CONTROL: This means “the Whole system of controls, financial and otherwise, established by the management in order to carry on the business of the enterprise in an orderly manner, safeguard its assets and secure accuracy and reliability of its records.
ii. VOTE BOOK: The vote book or Departmental vote Expenditure Analysis Book (DVEA) is the most important book of expenditure control being used in Government establishment.
iii. SUPERVISION: This means to supervise that is to be in charge of something and make sure that everything is done correctly.
iv. BUDGETING: This is a quantitative plan of action prepared in advance of the period to which it relates.
v. Control Procedure: These are those polices and procedures in addition to the control environment which are established to achieve the entity’s specific objectives.
vi. Store Verification: This verification is part of audit work whose duty is based purely on stores control.
vii Control: This means the power to make decisions about how an organisation is run.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria