Full Project – INFLUENCE OF EFFECTIVE TEACHING ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN AHOADA WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA
Background to the Study
Effective teaching impacts students’ academic, physical, social, emotional, and behavioral well-being. Teachers are one of the key elements in any school and effective teaching is one of the key propellers for school improvement. Teacher demonstrates an understanding and in-depth knowledge of content and maintains an ability to convey this content to students.
Education is a process of refining and preserving the collective values embedded in the culture of the society. Education is a cooperative teaching-learning process of preparing an individual from birth and all through his/her life for happy useful living in the society within the culture and resources (Oyekan, 2000). It then follows that education is a social service which ensures refinement of human behaviour in terms of his/her processes of reasoning, feeling and doing things in a happy expectancy. While education is a cooperative teaching learning for effective citizenship and collective benefit of society, secondary school is a link between primary and tertiary institution where adequate knowledge for effective citizenship and collective benefits of society is achieved.
A teacher is the bridge that makes teaching and learning effective. The teacher is thus the builder whose performance depends on adequate qualification, experience and preparation. This adequate knowledge and experience could be attained or achieved by acquiring additional knowledge that will stimulate his/her communication in teaching for efficiency (Oyedeji, 2000). That is, the qualification and experience of a teacher enhance or determine his/her performance. It could also be noted that the level and quality of education attained by the teacher determines the characteristics exhibited vis-à-vis the performance of the students Education is often conceived as a systematic action of imparting relevant knowledge, skills and habits to the learners in their preparation for meaningful life and contribution to better society (Oloyede, 2006). This action is however, usually delivered through skillful exposure to a number of academic disciplines.
Studies on the teachers’ characteristics within the confine of the education system underscore the importance of effective teachers in determining the quality of an education system (Hanushek & Kain, 2005). Clotfelter, Ladd & Vigdor, (2007) noted that teaching can offset learning challenges of learners from poor socio-economic backgrounds. This notwithstanding, researchers have not exhaustively drawn conclusions regarding the attributes of the most effective teachers. Okpala and Ellis (2005) have argued that effective teachers are caring, encouraging, approachable, enthusiastic, respectful, knowledgeable, empathetic, passionate and have a good sense of humour.
A school may have excellent material resources, equipments, building, library and other facilities along with a curricular appropriately adopted to suit the community need but if teacher are not effective and efficient and they are misfit, unsatisfied and indifferent to their responsibilities the whole programme is likely to be ineffective and wasted.
Teaching according to Oyekan (2000) is a continuous human activity by which the teacher connects the learners and the subject matter drawn from school curriculum. It is the cardinal duty of the teacher to help the students to learn, understand and achieve beyond their current educational status and to effectively discharge the required responsibility. It is therefore imperative for the teacher to also develop beyond their current educational status for job efficiency and proficiency. It should be appreciated that teachers are the light of the world that brightens and nurtures the vibrant lives of individuals with useful knowledge, practical skill, and proper value orientation. In a modern society, educational institutions exercise considerable influence on the socialization of the child, a process in which the teacher plays crucial part (Agbatogun, 2010). Teachers’ educational development is therefore essential in playing the crucial part.
Furthermore, Adesina (2000) revealed that teachers are the primary indicator and determinant of the quality of education and that is a relationship exists between teachers’ knowledge of what they teach. Thus, the ability to teach effectively depends on the knowledge and teachers and knowledge that exists in many forms. Teacher effectiveness will be hampered if the teachers are not familiar with the body of knowledge that is taught and teacher effectiveness is specific. The implication of this for teachers is that teachers must thoroughly understand the content of what they teach. Teachers who master the material will pass a language more clearly and provide better explanations than those with weaker backgrounds. Perspective of students to teachers in this mastery of the material have a significant influence on students’ academic performance.
Statement of the Problems
Poor teachers’ characteristics in the classroom environment have become social problem for Nigerian educators and the general public. There has been increasing mass failure in both externally and internally conducted examinations at all level. These suggestions have been adequately looked into by government and proprietors of private schools, yet schools perform poorly in their academics system.
In the past, many have tried to know the decline in students academic performance and from their findings suggested many factors such as inadequate funding of school facilities, overcrowded classrooms, deficiencies in qualified teachers, lack of well equipped libraries as some of the factors militating against good academic performance. It is upon this backdrop that this study seeks to investigate Effective teachings and students academic performance.
Poor academic performance of students in Nigeria has been linked to poor teachers’ quality in terms of accomplishing the teaching task, negative attitude to work and poor teaching habits which have been attributed to poor motivation (Ofoegbu 2004). It has also been observed that conditions that would make for effective teaching such as resources available to teachers, general conditions of infrastructure as well as instructional materials in Government Secondary Schools in Nigeria are poor (Oredein 2000). These prevailing conditions would definitely show a negative influence on the instructional quality in public schools, which may translate to poor academic performance, attitude and values of secondary school students.
Purpose of the Study
This study intends to examine Effective teachings and academic performance of students in secondary schools in Ahoada West Local Government Area, Rivers. The study specifically aim:
- To examine the extent to which teacher’s commitment to duty will affect students academic performance in Government Secondary Schools.
- To ascertain if teachers’ attitude would influence students academic performance in public secondary school.
- To determine if teachers’ professionalism on students academic performance will affect their behavior in the classroom.
- To examine the extent to which teachers’ creativity in the classroom would influence students academic performance in public secondary school.
- To what extent do teacher’s commitment to duty affects students academic performance in Government Secondary Schools?
- To what extent will teachers’ attitude influence students academic performance in public secondary school?
- How do teachers’ professionalism on students academic performance affect their behavior in the classroom?
- To what extent will teachers’ creativity in the classroom influence students academic performance in public secondary school?
- There is no significant relationship between teacher’s commitment to duty and students academic performance in Government Secondary Schools.
- There is no significant relationship between teachers’ attitude and students academic performance in public secondary school.
- Teachers’ professionalism on students academic performance does not affect their behaviour in the classroom.
- There is no significant relationship between teacher’s creativity to duty and students academic performance in Government Secondary Schools.
Significance of the Study
The study will serve as a guide to head teachers and Board of Governors, parents and teachers’ association, members of the public, district education officers, district inspectors of schools to realize the effects of teacher’s quality on students academic performance.
The school administrators may use findings from the study to understand the factors affecting teachers’ classroom practice and students academic performance in public secondary school.
Again, it will enable secondary school proprietors to be able to plan systematically for staff retention. Other stakeholders of education (parents, students, teachers, support staff, donors) will use the findings of study as a checkpoint to happenings of the same nature.
Furthermore, Ministry of Education will be able to recruit and retain teachers by improving the remuneration, conditions of working environment and providing competent manpower in management of schools in order to improve their classroom practice. It will contribute to the existing body of knowledge and will stimulate other research as in areas of staff retention in government secondary schools.
This study is quite significant in the sense that it will be useful to educationists, psychologists, counselors, parents, teachers and students in other to throw more light and expatiate further on how to improve students academic performance.
Scope of the Study
The study focused on Effective teachings and students academic performance. It covers all teachers in Government Secondary Schools. It also covers all the Government Secondary Schools in Ahoada West Local Government Area, Rivers.
Operational Definition of Terms
Teacher’s Quality: This is an act of effective teaching as measured by student outcome. This is a distinctive attribute or characteristic possessed by teacher.
Students academic performance: the degree to which a school is successful in producing a desired result or success.
Dedication: Teachers quality of being dedicated to a task or purpose.
Teacher’s Creativity: this is the ability of teacher to use his imagination or original ideas to create something; inventiveness.
Teacher’s Commitment: this is a teacher state or quality of being dedicated to a classroom routine or school activities, etc.
Teacher’s Attitude: A teacher’s predisposition or a tendency to respond positively or negatively towards a certain idea, students, or school environment.
Teacher’s Professionalism: this is level of competence or skill expected of a teacher in the disposition of his or her duty.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria
Full Project – INFLUENCE OF EFFECTIVE TEACHING ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF STUDENTS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN AHOADA WEST LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA