Full Project-EVALUATION OF CAPITAL STRUCTURE AND PROFITABILITY OF BUSINESS ORGANISATION
EVALUATION OF CAPITAL STRUCTURE AND PROFITABILITY OF BUSINESS ORGANISATION (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED QUOTED COMPANIES)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
The most important decision all corporate managers should take into consideration is the way in which the long-term capital requirements of their companies should be financial. Capital structure is the permanent financing of a firm represented primarily by equity and long-term liability without including all short-term credits. Many factors have to surface in order to determine the capital structure of a business organisation. These factors are what the financial managers consider first in order to determine appropriate capital structure suitable to his firm. Some of the factors are: cost of capital, floation costs, size of the company, government policies and market condition. The combination of debt and equity has some implication. The first is that debt-equity ratio, which is regarded as an indicators of risk. According to Samuel etal (1992:44) high fixed interest commitment which must be paid by the business organisation irrespective of whether profits are made or not. Debt capacity which is the ability of a firm to service its debt payment of interest and principal is usually measured. On eof the ways of measuring debt capacity is by raising the ratio of net cash inflow to interest charges. Pandey (1998-656) has it that the ratio indicates the number of times the interest obligation are covered by the next cash inflows generated by the company. The greater the coverage the lower the risk arising from the debt in the capital structure. Conversely, the lower the coverage the higher is the risk arising from the debt in capital structure. And failure of a company to pay its interests obligation can lead to bankruptcy. Furthermore, le for the business owners, they will employ more of debt in their capital structure as to increase profit. All things being equal will accrue to them and they only have to pay interest to provide of debt capital. Thus less amount of tax is paid by the company with debt capital. In determining whether to employ more of debt and less of equity or more of equally and less of debt in its capital structure, the financial managers of the firms concerned should take into account, the profit objectives of that business. They should consider how the capital structure will aect the profitability of their business organisation. The profitability of any business organisation will determine whether it will remain in business or not especially in the long run. Profitability is normally measured using return on capital employed return on equity, earning per share, return on assets, net profit margin and gross profit margin.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The owners of a company will not like to loose the control they have in their company by issuing more shares to the public in order to finance their capital projects. Instead, they to borrowing, this means using debt instrument like debenture stock. These owners of the business should not fail to know that whether there is profit or not that the debentures should be settle their interest. Nobody can perfectly predict the future, there can be business boom and there can equally be stump in business. The problem then is how can business combine debt and equity financing in order to ensure profitability?
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
1. To critically evaluate the variations in capital structure used by different companies under study.
2. To see how the capital structure acts the profitability of the business organizations concerned.
3. To identify some of capital structure problems encountered by these companies.
4. To recommend solutions to these problems.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Business financing is a very important business decision. Corporate financial managers have to decide whether to employ more of debt or more of equity whichever measure is adopted has eects. Everybody should bear in mind that the main objective of every business is to make profit of which this research work will through its findings achieve the following
1. To convince corporate managers of the relationship between capital structure and profitability of business organisation and will enable them make appropriate decision to that eect.
2. It will help intending investors to plan their capital structure very well from the statement in order to maximize profit.
3. This will be of good advantage to future researchers in their research work.
1.5 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Not minding that capital structure has many implications on a company such as profitability, market value of shares and financial distress, this study took at the relationship between capital structure and profitability of business organisation. Business organisation studied was manufacturing companies and oil servicing companies quoted in Nigerian Stock Exchange. In course of the research work, the researcher encountered some problems that bring up their ugly heads. Business organizations should some elements of indifference in relating to their financial statement. Also, there was problems of dund and some gate men who refused that the researcher could not meet the financial managers e.g. Nigerian Bottling Company 9th Mile Corner Enugu. However, the researcher was not discouraged by the problems. Through the mercy of God enough information were collected form general securities, a member of Nigerian Stock Exchange, Apes a member of Nigerian stock exchange all in Enugu, and University of Nigeria Enugu Campus Library.
1.6 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The following hypothesis have been formulated to guide the study.
(a) Ho: There is a relationship but not strong between capital structure and profitability of business organizations as measured be return on equity.
Hi: There is a strong relationship between capital structure and profitability of business organizations as measured by return on equity.
(b) Ho: There is a relationship but no strong between capital structure and profitability of business organizations as measure by return on investment.
Hi: There is a strong relationship between capital structure and profitability of business organisation as measured by return on investment.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. FINANCIAL LEVERAGE: This is the use of fixed charges source of fund such as debt and preference capital along with the owner’s equity in the capital structure.
2. DEBENTURE STOCK: These are loans that companies raise by the issue of stocks to members of the public. A fixed rate of interest is oered and the rights of the investors in the event of non-payment of either interest or principal. Mortgage debenture shows that the deeds of title to property have been deposited with the trustee in which case the property can be sold to repay the debenture holders in the event of the company or defaulting.
3. PREFERENCE STOCK: These are stocks which give the holders the right to stated rate of dividend, such sums being due for payment out of the company’s profits before any dividend is paid to the holders of ordinary stock. Preference stock holders are members of the company but do not usually have voting rights. It is a hybrid security because it has qualities of debt and equity instrument.
4. DEBT: Debt is loan borrowed from outsider to finance a business. It is repayable and receives a return in form of interest charged on the amount of debt outstanding. The holders of debt instruments are legally creditors of the borrowing company. Debenture is an example of debt.
5. EQUITY: It is a permanent investment in a company. Equity investment makes a person a part owner of the company. This is also a method of long-term financing. It includes share capital, share premium and reserves. 6. DIVIDENDS: These are cash payments to shareholders when credited accounts are published the company may declare dividend and this is under the approval of the shareholders at the annual general meeting. In a bad year, a company may wish to pay a larger dividend that total earning allowed. The difference must be paid from reserves which are accrued profits from previous years.
7. CAPITAL COMPONENTS: These are items on the le hand side of the balance sheet on the old method of computation of balance sheet statement. The item viz: various types of debts, preferred stock, and common equity. According to J. F. Weston at al (19977:695) any net increase in assets must be financed by an increase in one or more capital components.
8. EARNINGS BEFORE INTEREST AND TAX (EBIT): Earning before interest and tax is the earnings of a business organisation before deduction of interest and tax. In this research work, it is denoted by EBIT
Samuel J. M. etal (1992) Management of Finance: London: Chapman and Hall Pandey I. I. (1995) Financial Management: New Deihi: Vikas Publishing House PYT Ltd Weston J. Fred et al (1997) Management Finance: Illionis: The Drydon Press
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria