Full Project-EARNINGS MANAGEMENT AND FIRM’S PERFORMANCE IN NIGERIA.
EARNINGS MANAGEMENT AND FIRM’S PERFORMANCE IN NIGERIA.
Concern about corporate governance has developed historically in response to major crises of confidence, fraud and market failure and with it development of advances in our thinking about the socio economic role and contribution of corporate entities (Nerd berg 2007). In recent times the perverseness of corporate failure has led to the loss of investors’ confidence on both financial reports and reporting accountants (auditors). Although many studies had explored how financial reporting quality can be improved through good corporate governance, there is scarcity of literature on the relationship between specific governance mechanisms and ethical misconduct of accountants .Ethics is viewed in this study as absence of attempt to cooked/doctored or tailored financial accounting reports to a giving desired or what is popularly referred in the literature as earnings management/creative accounting-financial engineering.
Earnings, sometimes called the “bottom line“ or “net income” are the single most important in financial statements. They indicate the extent to which a company has engaged in value added activities. They are signal that helps direct resource allocation in capital markets. Infact the theoretical value of a company’s stock is the present value of its future earnings. Increased earnings represent an increase in company value, while decreased earnings signal a decrease in that value.
Given the importance of earnings, it is no surprise that company management has a vital interest in how they are reported. That is why every executive needs to understand they can make the best possible decisions for the company. They must in other words learn to manage earnings.
Earnings management may be defined as “reasonable and legal management decision making and reporting intended to achieve stable and predictable financial results.”Earnings management is not to be confused with illegal activities to manipulate financial statements and reports results that do not reflect economic reality. These type of activities popularly known as “cooking the books “miss representing financial results. Many executives face a lot of pressure to cross the line from earnings managements to cooking the book. A 2009 survey at a conference sponsored by CFO magazine found that 78prercent of the chief financial officers (CFOS) in attendance had been told to cost financial result s in a better light, though still using generally accepted by accounting principles (GAAP). Half of them complied with the request worse however 45 percents of the group attendees reported that they had been asked to misrepresent their companies financial result s and 38 percent admit with complying.
The intense pressure to report better earnings was confirmed by a similar survey at a business week CFO conference. It found that 55 percent of the CFO’s had been asked to misrepresent financial results and 17 percent had complied.
A number of phrases have been used to describe earnings management activities:
The numbers game
Financial statement management
Re-engineering the income statement
Toggling the books
Financial statement manipulation
Borrowing income from the future
Banking income for the future
There is no standard universally accepted definition for any of these terms. People use them in different ways and with different degrees of appreciation to cover a wide variety of activities, many perfectly legal. This tends to blur the distinction between ethically legal earnings management and illegally cooking the books.
Unethical practices could be attributed to the flexibility inherent in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) in the preparation of financial statements which gives financial managers some freedom to select among accounting alternatives.
Earnings management uses this flexibility in financial reporting to alter the financial results of a firm (Ortega and Grant, 2003). Levit (1998), describes earnings management as a gray area where the accounting is being perverted, where managers are cutting corners and where earnings reports reflects the desire of management rather than underlying financial performance of a company. If earnings are considered to be the most revealing figure of financial reports, then adequate measures need to be put in place to ensure its quality and reliability.
Recent studies revealed that large companies that have failed or filed bankruptcy have engaged in earnings smoothing years prior to their failures, Abdelghany (2005). This unethical practice was also evident from most pronounced failure to recent times, World Com, Pharmalat, Societe generale, among others. Even recent Global Financial Crisis that engulfed world economies was largely attributed to unethical accounting practices.
Moreover, concern about corporate governance has grown historically in response to major crises of confidence, fraud and market failure and with development of advances in our thinking about the role of corporation in the economy and society. However, since the modern form of corporation is that which management is diverted from ownership conflict will continue to exist. Board of trustees of owners whose major role is to supervise holistically the activities of management, may likely to some greater extent curve any excesses or deterred possibility of misrepresentation in financial.
These expectations depend largely on the size, speed, competence and vigilance and to subsume it all the general structure of the board.
1.2STATEMENT OF RESEARCH PROBLEM
It is not known whether corporate governance has impact on earnings management.
Is there any implication of earnings management on corporate governance?
It is not known whether earnings management have implications on firms profitability in Nigeria.
It is not known whether there is a relationship between corporate governance and earnings management.
1.2.1STATEMENT OF RESEARCH QUESTIONS
For the purpose of this research work, the following research questions are examined:
What is the impact of corporate governance on earnings management?
What are the implications of earnings management in corporate governance?
What are the implications of earnings management in firm’s profitability in Nigeria?
It there a relationship between corporate governance and earnings management?
1.3OBJECTIVES OF THE RESEARCH
The objectives of the study are:
To find out the detail meaning of earnings management.
To find out the impact of corporate governance on earnings management.
To find out the implications of earnings management in corporate performance of Nigerian firms.
To find out if there is relationship between corporate governance and earnings management.
For the purpose of this study, the following hypothesis is formulated:
H0:There is no relationship between corporate governance and earnings management.
H1:There is a relationship between corporate governance and earnings management.
1.5RELEVANCE AND SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study is relevant and significant for the following reasons:
The study examines the corporate structure of Nigerian firms. This is a yardstick to find out the effectiveness of corporate governance in Nigerian firms as it affects the ethical practice in financial reporting. An unethical and sharp malpractice that is being perpetrated is revealed through the structure of corporate governance that is in place. Hence this study is useful to corporate organizations in finding lasting solutions to the problems of ineffective corporate governance that may lead to unethical financial reporting.
This study is also useful to prospective researchers who intend carrying out research work on similar topics.
1.6SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study is to look into those areas of corporate governance structure which influence to a greater extent the ethics in financial reporting (Earnings Management). The objective is to estimate the relationship between the board size, board composition and board effectiveness in determining unethical practices. The rest of the research work comprises of chapter one – proposal, chapter two – review of the literature, chapter three – research methodology, chapter four presents and discusses the results and finally five is summary, recommendations and conclusion.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Using our service is LEGAL and IS NOT prohibited by any university/college policies
You are allowed to use the original model papers you will receive in the following ways:
1. As a source for additional understanding of the subject
2. As a source for ideas for your own research (if properly referenced)
3. For PROPER paraphrasing (see your university definition of plagiarism and acceptable paraphrase)
4. Direct citing (if referenced properly).
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria