Full Project-CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE USE OF FINANCIAL REPORT IN ASSESSING BANK PERFORMANCE (A CASE STUDY UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)
Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
A farmer, who plants corps, expects result, similarly to student who sits for examination expects results. The same 5 also true of an investor. For the farmer, the result might be communicated to him in the form of a bumper harvest. It result sheet or a report card would usually sufficed for a student. However, in the of an investor, the result is communicated through the financial reports.Financial reports are law to be prepared by every limited liability company; these limited liability companies abound in virtually all sector of the economy.Every company shall cause accounting records to be kept. The accounting records shall be sufficient to show and explain the transactions of the company and shall be such as to disclose with reasonable accuracy, at anytime the financial position of the company.In the banking industry, financial reports are of great interest to the general public because the banks directly or indirectly interact with people.This public interest has caused companies (including banks) to accept social as well as economic, financial and legal responsibilities and has created a consequence, a growing need for the communication of information to account for the results which are of considerable interest a wide range of individuals and organizations.So, it becomes very imperative for reliable information to be circulated to interested parties which can enable them to acquire an essential knowledge of the way is which companies particularly the bank are performing in relation to the public interest. This fact is further educated by the recommendation of the working party set up in Britain by the Accounting standard committee in October 1974 under the chairmanship of Derek booth man which took a study of the scope and aims of publisher financial statements.The committee recommended that:
“The fundamental objectives of corporate report are to communicate economic measurement of the reporting entity useful to those having reasonable right to such information”It is not an over statement when one says that the banking industry is the flume on which the national economy rotates. This mammoth, impact upon a country economy therefore makes it a public affair is everybody in the country has a right to know what such organizations are doing, more so all information, necessary to explain the organization’s activities fully should be provided in the annual reports.
One of the most significant aspects of the information system of business enterprises in an economy is that which deals with the communicate of financial data, especially in describing business profitability and financial position. This information is important because it attempts to partial the economic resources of the enterprises and the financial results, which have been achieved by its management when those resources have been put to use. It attempts to reveal how effective management has been in resources utilization as well as the financial reward available to compensate for risk taken by various suppliers of capital.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The genuineness or other wise of financial reports has attracted diverse opinions from different quarters, such opinions can come from the general public, tax authorities, shareholders, creditors with long or short term interest, financial analyst and potential investors.
They argue that the financial reports do not usually give an accurate data about the action ties of such business concerns, for example, the idea of stating assets at their historical cost do not favour most investors as they argue that inflation is not usually taken care of, though the real value of such assets might have been eroded.
Again since the financial reports prepared by managements, the shareholders and others argue that there would usually be some elements of bi as on the part of management in the disclosure of management’s financial ineptitude.
But in any case the management claims that some inherent problems would usually affect the accuracy of such reports. It is therefore the intention of this researcher to delve into the matter to enable him establish a relationship between financial reporting and performance evaluate in a bank.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Companies including those in the banking industry have had to face the onerous task of presenting a credible and generally acceptable financial statement in their annual reports, to the various people to whom they own such obligations. The purpose of the study is:
a. To determine the various financial reports used by banks.
b. To ascertain the problems of using financial reports to assess performance of banks.
c. To examine the use of historical cost convention adopted by banks in stating this balance sheet items on investors.
d. To determine of there’s a relationship between financial reporting and performance evaluation of a bank.
e. To offer recommendations and solutions on the best way financial reports could use in assessing bank performance.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
a. What impact has financial reporting on bank performance with respect to the financial position of the bank?
b. How does financial statement assess the bank performance?
c. Does financial reports disclosed financial impetitude of bank mangers to the shareholders?
d. What are the problems associated in using financial reports to assess bank performance?
e. How do we know a reliable financial report?
f. Has financial statement of banks influence your investment decision?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
Base on the statement of problem and objections of this research work the following general hypothesis are formulated:Ho Investment decision, base entirely on the financial statement will not lead to poor and lazy decisions.Hi Investment decision based entirely on the financial statements will lead to poor and lazy decisions.Ho The efficiency of financial reports is great affected by inflationary trends in the economy.Hi The efficiency of financial reports is not greatly affected by inflationary trends in the economy.Ho Financial report are not a true in director of banks performance.Hi financial reports are a true in director of banks performance.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The banking industry is a very important sector of the economy. This is because banks can determine the direction of growth or development of the economy trough the financial service rendered by banks. The financial services which includes, funds mobilization, safekeeping and custodianship, funds transfer, foreign exchange transaction equipment leasing, extension of loans and advances, investment in securities, bill discounting etc.Investment key sector of the national economy of which the banking industry is one becomes a goal-getters priority. Owing to this, it becomes necessary that financial reports presented by banks satisfy the need of the users of the reports.Specially, at the end of this study, we shall have been able to establish:
1. Whether or not the financial reports affects investment in the banking industry.
2. Whether or not the annual financial report currently reflect the inflationary effects.
3. Whether or not banks follow rigid accounting practices.The emphasis of this research is not to discuss the determinants of performance, but to establish a relationship between financial reporting and performance so that potential investors is in banking industry may clearly define the stand.
1.7 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The aim of the study is to examine, the use of financial reporting in assessing banks performance, however it will be restricted to investigations carried out on union bank of Nigerian Plc.To enable the research have a broad view, the study will not be based on one branch. A study of some selected branches of the bank will also be carried out.But in any case, the following among others are the numerous constraint, while are envisaged;
LITERATURE: The dearth of related books and journals will no doubt affect the quality of the research.TIME: The greatest employer of man, which is time was not in my favour through I manage it considering the time allocated to my studies, fellowship and the project.
FINANCE: The research work generally involves money but considering my stand as a student. I was limited by financial in achieving my gim of have a population rather I found my self in using sample size, even visit to my case of study.
RESPONSE RATE: The information to be analyzed in the study will be limited to those who would respond voluntarily to the questionnaire.
PAUCITY OF INDUSTRY: At the course of my research I come to release that many banks dose not have any form inter-relationships which make things difficult for me in using one set of information generated as touching planning and control in UBN to generalize issues. That leads me into more research, which will continue even after this profit.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
AUDITING: The objective examination of financial statements initially prepared by management by a third party other than the prepared or used with the goal of establishing the fairness of representations made therein and reporting on same a guides to interested users.
ATTEST: To assume responsibility for the fairness and dependability for the fairness and dependability of financial statements.
BANKRUPT: Inability of person to meet his liabilities as they mature.FRAUD: Misrepresentation by a person to be untrue or made with reckless indifference as whether the fact in true with the intention of deceiving the other party and with the result that the other party is injured.
FINANCIAL STATEMENTS: This covers balance sheets, income statement or profit and loss accounts notes and other statement and explanatory materials.
GOING CONCERN: Continuing in operation for the foresable future with the assumption that the enterprise has neither the intention nor the ability to expand.
LIQUIDATION: Process of winding up of a company thereby brings to an end its corporate existence.
TRUE AND FAIR VIEW: The opinion of an auditor, which depicts compliance, will generally accepted accounting principles and full of fair disclose of facts.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
Click here to Get this Complete Project Chapter 1-5
You can also check other Research Project here:
1, Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria