Full Project – A web-based poultry management system
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
For the good number of years information technology has been evolving. It has become part of world’s daily routine to involve information technology in organizational operations. It is due to the information technology that the world has moved digital. Telecommunicating network have been constructed all over the world and that is how far the technology has gone.
Computer-based information systems are systems that tend to have clearly defined inputs and outputs that enable and provide necessary facilities for accurately and efficiently managing an organizational process. It could be sales, order or record keeping of transactions or business activities. Information system is a collection of people, procedures, software, hardware and data. Connectivity allows computers to connect and share information, thereby greatly expanding the capability and usefulness of an information system. Computer-based information systems are meant to reduce the stress in managing businesses or organizational procedures.
Management Information System (MIS) is one of the major types of computer-based information systems. It uses the database of an organization in producing well-structured forms of reports.
A poultry is the term for any kind of domesticated birds captive raised for its utility and traditionally. The world has been used to refer to wildfowl and waterfowl. “Poultry” can be defined as a domestic fowl including chickens, turkey, guese and ducks raised for the production of meat or eggs.
Over the world poultry farming is practiced for different reasons but mainly for commercial and food purposes. For example, Roy’s farm, (2017) says that “the most commonly and widely raised poultry birds are chicken and are being raised every year as a source of food.” Poultry farming is increasingly becoming profitable not only in Nigeria, but globally. However, most of the literature about this enterprise tends to surround about profitability side without tackling the how question (SeedsOfGold, 2017).
Nelux poultry Lokoja is a poultry farm located opposite army signal bus stop, phase two, Lokoja, Kogi State. It is a private integrated company that started in 2000. Nelux poultry deals in broilers, Layers day old chicks, Breeder, Medicine & Vaccine, Hatchery, Slaughter, Egg Trading, Feed Trading and Chicken Management. The company has undergone steady development in the poultry sector in Lokoja.
The current information system used in the poultry for record keeping is the paper based system and too much time and paper are wasted due to the fact that clients go and book physically at the receptionist. The clients are registered in record book basing on the type and quantity of required products after a receipt is issued out showing the amount paid for the products, data, time, and branch of delivery.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The current system of poultry management information system is paper based, it is inefficient, tiresome, hard to update, susceptible to errors and time wasting. This has become a major challenge for customers who are living far from where the company is located. Some customers end up buying from nearby poultry.
The proposed online poultry management information system will try to solve the problem of the manual system, by developing a web based poultry system and integrating making payment, advertisement of company products and booking of chicks for those customers who are interested .According to Adrew Z. Adkins(2018), automation of the booking process of whereby information moves from various stakeholders in an orderly manner enables people get products and services faster.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this project is to develop a web based poultry management. The specific objectives are:
- To design a new system that will eliminate the problem of the existing system. This can be achieved by making the new system a web-based system.
- To create a comprehensive database that will accommodate large volume of information about the poultry.
III. To increase the accessibility to the poultry services by making the site active 24 hours.
- To provide a reliable information for the management to rely on for planning and decision-making.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This work could be useful for poultry farm managers as well as those involved in research work on poultry farm management.
This project research will deduce a specific poultry farm management information system from a general farm management information system to support the management of poultry farm.
It is believed that the introduction of a computerized system in Nelux poultry Farm will reduce or rather eliminate the inherent problem of the manual system which will in turn bring about fast decision making, correct and accurate information and as well as good inventory control.
Other significance of this work to the management are listed below:
- It saves a lot of time in processing farm information.
- Database access is fast, reliable and secure in term of authorized access using data encryption and decryption.
III. Transactions are secured (login page).
- It helps in reducing the costs of labour, fixtures and stationary (Paper, files, pens, marker and so on).
1.5 SCOPE AND DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope is divided into three as explained below.
Geographical Area: The study was conducted at Nelux poultry enterprises limited main branch located in Lokoja, Kogi State.
Time Scope: The study was conducted for duration of four mouth from April to July for the purpose of collecting righteous information to enable me develop the system.
System Scope: The system mainly keeps track on online poultry information for Nelux poultry customers. The system is a server based application. It will be designed using PHP, Java Script and HTML were used to enable the communication, linking storing, saving and retrieving data from the database. The project also covers testing and validation of the system which ensures that the system in is free from errors and performs as expected.
The delimitation of the study are:
- The system is only applicable to the poultry branch in Lokoja.
- It does not include automatic refunding in case of payment failure.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Bacteria: microorganism that live in the soil and convert nutrient in to form usable by plants.
- Data: Numbers, Text or image which is in the form suitable for storage in or processing by a computer, or facts for processing.
- Farm: A tract of land, usually with a house, barn, silo, etc., on which crops and often livestock are raised for livelihood.
- Fertilizer: organic or inorganic nutrient that are added to the soil to help the growth of the crops.
- Gene: The DNA code in the cell of the living things; they determine physical characteristic such as fur color.
- Information System: A set of interrelated components that collect (or retrieve), process, store and distribute information to support decision making and control in an organization.
- Information: A meaningful material derived from computer data by organizing it and interpreting it in a specified way.
- Input: Data entered into a computer for storage or processing.
- Intensive Grazing: The practice of rotating livestock between pasture to reduce over grazing.
- Inventory: A list of current goods that you have or own.
- Management: It is the co-ordination of all the resources of an organization through the process of planning, organization, directing and controlling.
- Organic Farming: Producing food without the use of laboratory made fertilizer growth substance, or pesticide.
- Organic Matter: the dead plants, animal and manure converted by earthworms and bacteria in to human.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Full Project – A web-based poultry management system