Full Project- THE ROLE OF NIGERIAN MONETARY AUTHORITIES IN BANK DISTRESS PREVENTION.
A research project was carried out as an opinion survey to determine the role of Nigerian Monetary Authorities in Bank Distress prevention from 1990 to 2005. A sample size of ‘68’ was arrived at using ‘204 randomly selected staff from CBN. NDIC and First Bank of Nigeria Plc Uwani branch as the population size. The research works consist of five chapters, which will be discoursed one by one. Chapter one includes the introduction, statement of problem, objectives of the study, the research questions, statement of hypothesis, the significance of the study, limitations of the study and definition of operational terms. Chapter two is the review of related literature. This chapter discussed the nature of Nigerian deposit insurance company, and also discussed the causes and implications of distress on the economy the chapter also discussed the roles which the monetary authorities play to prevent bank distress and its effectiveness. Chapter three which is the research methodology includes the research design, the area of study, the population, sampling technique, the instrument of data collection and the method of data analysis.Chapter four of the study includes the presentation, analysis and interpretation of data. The sixty eight (68) questionnaires which were distributed was analysed through the use of table. The statistical method, which is used in analyzing the result of the information, are the simple percentage and chi-square (X2).Chapter five of the study consists of the summary of findings, conclusion and recommendation.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.2 Background of the study
1.3 Objectives of the study
1.4 Research questions
1.5 Statement of hypothesis
1.6 Significance of the study
1.7 Limitation of the study
2.0 Review of related literature
2.1 Historical background of the study
2.2 Meaning of bank distress
2.3 The nature of Nigeria deposit insurance company (NDIC)
2.4 Reasons for establishing the deposit insurance scheme in Nigeria
2.5 Establishment of central bank of Nigeria (CBN)
2.6 Functions of the central bank of Nigeria (CBN)
2.7 Recent developments in the banking sector and bank distress
2.8 Distress defined
2.9 Causes of bank distress in Nigeria
2.10 Implications of distress on the economy
2.11 The role of the regulatory authorities in preventing bank distress through the use of “CAMEL”
2.12 Effectiveness of distress prevention measures
2.13 Lessons and challenges of handling bank distress
3.0 Research methodology
3.1 Research design and methodology
3.2 Research design
3.3 Area of study
3.5 Sample and sampling technique
3.6 Instrument of data collection
3.7 Method of data presentation
3.8 Method of data analysis
4.0 Presentation, analysis and interpretation of data
4.1 Questionnaire analysis
4.2 Testing of hypothesis
5.0 Summary of findings, conclusion and recommendation
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The deteriorating condition of financial institutions particularly banks has remained a problem of great concern to policy makers. It is now a well know fact that there is wide spread distress in the banking system and despite the measures recently taken by the government as well as bank regulators and supervisors, there remain fear that the problem is not over yet and is being suppressed and not being suppressed and not being dealt with decisively. Banking crisis is not limited in Nigeria, it is also present in other parts of African, latin America, Asia, Europe and North America. Infact, it is a development that has come to be associated in particular with economic in which financial liberalization is being or has been implemented. There is wide spread belief that banks occupy unique positions in most economics, both developed and developing countries, as creators of money, the principal depository of savings, major allocators of credit, and the manager of the country’s payment mechanism. Consequently, the government often deem it necessary to formulate policies, for the soundness, efficiency and safety of the bank industry. The monetary authority has the responsibility for the supervisor of the banking system. This responsibility is discharged by undertaking both of site and on-set examination of the books of the banks. The provisions among other things cover minimum capital requirements, returns to be submitted to the CBN Central Bank of Nigeria by banks, power of the CBN to conduct routine and special examination and power of the CBN to revoke a bank’s license.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
This work seeks to determine the role of Nigerian Monetary Authorities in Bank Distress prevention from 1990 to 2005.
Distress in the Nigerian banking system is a phenomenon that must be tackled with every amount of vigour by CBN/NDIC in order to minimize its occurrence in the economy in this light, some possible corrective measures that could be adopted to ameliorate the consequences of distress in the economy will be suggested.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The specific objectives to the study includes:-
1. To identify the monetary authorities involved in bank distress prevention between 1990 and 2005.
2. To find out and describe the role of NDIC in bank distress prevention since 1990 to 2005.
3. To identify the guidelines CBN provided to banks inorder to prevent distress in the banking system 1990-2005.
4. To identify the role of federal ministry of finance in prevention of distress in the banking system from 1990-2005.
5. To find out the effectiveness of distress prevention measures “CAMEL” set up by monetary authorities between 1990-2005.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Do the monetary authorities have any involvement in bank distress prevention between 1990 and 2005?
2. Do the NDIC play any role in bank distress prevention since 1990-2005.
3. Do the CBN provide guidelines to banks in order to prevent distress in the banking system?
4. Do the federal ministry of finance play any role in the prevention of distress in the banking industry.
5. Has the distress prevention measure “CAMEL” set up by monetary authorities effective in distress prevention between 1990-2005.
1.5 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESIS
For the purpose of this study, the following hypothesis are formulated;
Ho: Monetary authorities emphasis on the employment of qualified and honest professionals by banks as a way of preventing bank distress in Nigeria.
Hi: Monetary authorities do not emphasis on the employment of qualified and honest professionals by banks as a way of preventing bank distress in Nigeria.
Ho: Increasing minimum capital base requirement of banks every decade by the monetary authorities will prevent distress in the banking system.
Hi: Increasing minimum capital base requirement of banks every decade by the monetary authorities will not prevent distress in the banking system.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of the study is its importance to the following.
1. Government: This research will be of tremendous use to the government and monetary authorities in handling the issues of bank distress and to prevent its occurrence. It will also give the government advice on strategies to embark on to improve CBN/NDIC’s roles in financing distress in the banking sector.
2. Financial Institutions: It will be of great relevance to financial institution particularly banks in checking their performance based on their ability to meet the following five bank examination rating system “CAMEL”.
3. Academic: This study will provide data for future researchers on the subject matter.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Bank: This simply an institution, which accepts, deposits from the public and in turn advances loans by creating credit.
2. Central Bank: This is a government owned bank which is set up to help handle its transactions to coordinate and central other banks. This is the Apex Bank.
3. Role: The part played by somebody or something in the process of attaining a particular goal.
4. Deposit Insurance Scheme: This is a financial guarantee to depositors particularly the small ones in the event of bank failure.
5. Distress: This is the suffering caused by the wart of money and other necessary things.
6. Financial Institutions: These are places meant for financial assistance for the survival of young businesses such as commercial banks, trustee companies, savings and loan association
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria