Full Project-THE ROLE OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN ECONOMY
The banking system and financial institutions is one of the fastest growing and developing sectors of paramount importance in the Nigeria economy. The role of the various banking and non-banking financial institutions in the provision of different types of industrial and agricultural finance are fully appraised. In examining the role of financial institutions in economic developments, the following theoretical concepts usually constitute the focus of attention, namely; The domestic mobilization of financial resources is essential for capital formation and accelerated growth. An efficient allocation of available resources is of importance in the development process. Financial institutions offer an efficient institutional mechanism through which resources can be mobilized and directed from less essential uses to more productive investment. The role of financial institutions in Nigeria is so crucial in the economic emancipation, as such roles help the economy of developing nation find its real position in the world economy and improves the standard of living of such nation. The researcher tried to examine the adequacy and relevance of the institutions and the structure of the financial system of meet the needs of the economy for rapid development and also to know whether they play the role for which they were established. In order to write the project, research was done on some of these banks and financial institutions like central bank of Nigeria, commercial banks, merchant banks and development banks. Finally, the researcher also carried out thorough investigations to show all the claims of some financial institutions and hence recommendations were made.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The idea of establishing financing institutions was mooted soon after the establishment of the central bank of Nigeria on first July, 1959 after the bank failures of the early 1950’s. At this stage, it became obvious that there was an urgent need to establish financial institutions capable of providing medium and long-term capital to full up the serious gaps in the financial system of the economy. In view of the dwindling position of the economy the government has at various times tried to correct through monetary and fiscal policies the downward movements of the economy as well as to place the economy on a path of meaningful development. Owing to the important roles agriculture and manufacturing sectors are expected to play in the economic development the government introduced a lot of policies to encourage production in these sector for example, the stipulated sectoral distribution of loans to agriculture and manufacturing sector (preferred sectors) has been increasing over the years. The government executes the monetary policies through the banks of which commercial banks are the key players. Generally, we know that the financial system of any society (of which the banking system is undoubtedly the most dominate), is the frame work within which capital formation takes place through intermediation of the institution.
The participants in the banking system mobilize resources from the surplus units and channel some to the deficit economic units of any country for industrialization. The banking and financial system is also required to stimulate investment, and channel such to the priority areas of the economy, thus, it acts as a transmitter of government economic policies for growth and development through its social responsibility. This industry is a force to reckon with in the area of employment. Banks set apart handsome portion of their annual profits to finance worthy ventures that have spill over effects on the development efforts of the government or their local communities. With the support and encouragement of the international bank for reconstruction and development (world bank) the first indigenous development financial institution was established in January, 1964 in the name of the Nigeria industrial development bank (NIDB). The establishment of this bank in January 1964 was foreshadowed by the incorporation in 1959 of a private investment company, the investment company of Nigeria (ICON) as an industrial financial company with the aim of providing long and medium term finance for industry.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
This research entitled “the role of financial institution in the development of an economy” attempted to determine the role of financial institutions in enhancing the economic development Nigeria, with particular reference to some premier financial institutions like the Nigerian Bank for Commerce and Industry (NBCI) and the Nigeria Agricultural and Co-operative Bank (NACB) and banks. These two financial institutions were chosen as representatives of the development in financial institutions because their role is envisage to be a representative of role played by other financial institutions in economic development for Nigeria.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objective here is to examine the functions of the financial institutions and assess their impact on the economic growth and development of Nigeria. To be able to appreciate properly these developments, however, we need to examine the ownership distribution of the institution in the system, the structure of the system and the legal and regulatory framework within which the institutions operates. This study also tried to ascertain how much of the objectives, the financial institutions and banks have been able to achieve their standing relationship with the Nigerian Public and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The research will almost inevitably chose with a look into the future of the financial system its responsibilities and its role in the Nigerian economy of tomorrow and therefore suggest likely ways of solving the problem.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Does your institution play any role in the economic development of Nigeria?
2. If yes what are the role(s)?
3. Have your institution some area(s) of priority?
4. If yes is increased rural banking among your priority?
5. What are the roles of the insurance sector in the economy?
6. Do you think that the overall objective of establishing the institution tends towards meeting the political and economic needs of the country?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study of the role of banking and financial institutions in Nigeria is indispensable and equally significant because this role will not only enhance the economic growth of the Nigeria nation but will also improve the standard of living of the people as it directly and indirectly creates job opportunities for the teaming populating of the army of unemployed in the country. The role of financial institutions is equally worth studying because of its unique position as being solely responsible in determining and launching the nation into a vibrant economy. The study is equally significant to the generality of Nigerians since this research reviewed the role of the financial institutions in meeting their primary objective as well as other objective with a view to improving the economic position of Nigeria.
This study also reviewed the primary role of these institutions which included among other numerous functions “providing equity capital and funds by way of loans to indigenous persons, institutions and organizations for medium and long term investments in industry and commerce at such rates and upon such terms as many determined by way the broad in accordance with the policy directed by the federal executive council”. This study is equally significant in that it has reviewed the activities of the Nigeria. Financial institutions in trying to close those gaps created by the operations of the financial institutions and speed up economic development of Nigeria. This research will hopefully be of importance to any developing nation hoping to establish financial institutions to help speed her economic development since it has highlighted the role and functions such institutions play in economic development.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The research is centered on the periods between 1990 and 1993. This range has been adopted because of availability of data. This researcher entitled “the role of financial institutions in the development of an economy” is very vast but for purpose of financial constraints, availability of material and time. It has therefore restricted or limited itself to some premier financial institutions like the Nigerian bank for commerce and industry (NBCI) and the Nigerian Agricultural and Co-operative Bank (NACB) and banks. These two financial institutions were chosen as representations of the development financial institutions because their role is envisage to be a representative of role played by other financial institutions in economic development of Nigeria.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Role: ‘Role’ should mean and all parts played and exhibited by financial institutions in the development of Nigeria economically.
2. Financial Institutions: This means and includes bank and non-bank financial institutions that are involved in the economic development of this nation solely.
3. Economy: In this research, economy refers to the control and management of the money, goods and other resources of the Nigerian society with regards to the improvement of the standard of living of the people.
4. Population: This can be referred to as the number of elements in a research study that the researcher has access to for the purpose of gathering data. It is gotten out of a universe.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria