Full Project – Knowledge and awareness of confidentiality of patients record among health worker
1.1 BACK GROUND OF THE STUDY
Confidentiality is one of the core duties of medical practice. It requires health care providers to keep patient’s personal health records private unless consent to release the information is provided by the patient (Rose, 2003).
Patients routinely shares personal information with health care providers. The family history the nature of illness, the laboratory investigations. All are kept in the patients’ case folder. in medical team, the doctors, nurses laboratory scientists, health record officers have aces to this records. Confidential is the basis of legal aspect of health record, it is the ethical corner stone of good treatment. It is often used interchangeably with privacy in reference to medical data, but their meanings are distinct by definition, privacy in health care is protection from any disclosure of personal health data by providing security to patients’ health records (Adeleke 2011).
Confidentiality is of great benefit to patients, by providing a secured environment in which they are more likely to seek medical care and to give a full and frank account of their illness. when they do, it express respect for patients privacy , people have the right to choose who will have access to information about them and a rule of confidential for medical practitioners reassures patients that they can still confide in them . to the health care industry, it supports public confidence and trust according to Rowland (2003,) confidentiality is central to the preservation of trust between doctors and their patients. Thus, presentation of confidentiality is necessary to secure public health. Failure to maintain this vegetable obligation my result in sub- optimal treatment; for centuries, doctors have upheld the ethic principle underpinned by the Hippocratic oath has been updated by international community assenting to the declaration. The practice of doctors in the united Kingdom subject to the regulatory of the general council who strongly uphold this professional duty. The British medical association advice doctors to consider the implication of breaching patients’ confidential relationship and risking the public trust in a confidential dependent service (Robinson,2013).
Robinson (2013) also identify that professional person in health care industry have legal and ethical responsibility of information regarding the client under their care patients’ records are confidential and have to be protected from unauthorized people. Confidentiality is the right of an individual by federal statute to have personal identifiable medical information kept private. Such information should be available only to the physician of records and other healthcare and insurance personal as necessary. As if 2003, patient’s confidentiality was protected by federal statute. The purpose is that, the passage of federal regulation (the health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996) was prompted by the need to endure privacy and protection of personal record and data in an environment of electronic medical record s and third- party insurance payers.
Patients’ confidentiality means that personal and medical information given to a health care provider will not be disclosed to others unless the individual has given specific permission for such release. Because the disclosure of personal information could cause professional or personal problems. Patients rely on physicians to keep their medical information private. It is rare for medical records to remain completely sealed; however, the most benign breach of confidentiality takes place when physician share medical information as case studies. When this data is published in professional journals the identity of the patient is never divulged, and all identity detail either eliminated or changed, if this confidentiality os breached in any way, patient may have the right to sue. The greatest threat to medical privacy however, occurs because most medical bills are paid by form of health insurance either public or private. This makes it difficult if not impossible to keep information truly confidential. Health records are routinely viewed not only by the physicians and theirs staff, but by the employees of the insurance companies, medical laboratories public health departments researchers, and many others if an employer provides health insurance, the employers and the designated employees may have access to employees files, the health insurance portability and accountability Act (HIPAA)1996 requires all professionals and organizations to guard the privacy of their patients and customers. Individuals must provide written concerned for any and all release of medical records, health care providers, physicians, nurses, medical imagination and others who deal with patients’ information are known as covered entities. They are responsible for patient’s confidentiality, as per HIPAA privacy rule which states that medical professionals cannot legally share patient information without their consent.
Patients’ confidentiality supports the need of both patient and physician it protects patients from having their data misused. It also serve the physician best interest , for example, doctors patients confidentiality privileges which assures patients that their health information is safe and only will be used for the purpose of improving health outcomes, allows doctors to establish relationship with patients based on trust and open communication thus improving the quality of care they provide according to HIPAA rules, medical institutions must implant policies to protect patients privacy and data to meet minimum necessary standard. This standard means that patients health information should be protected unless shearing it is essential to fulfilling a particular purpose
Police can include granting aces to protected health information to health care organization members if it helps them carry out their duties more effectively in the best interest of patient notices.
Patients’ confidentiality is necessary for building trust between patients and medical professionals. Patients are more likely to disclose health information of they trust their health care provider or practitioners. Trust-bass – physician – patient’s relationships can lead to better interaction s and higher quality health visits.
Health care providers who take their privacy obligation seriously, and who take their text to clearly explain confidentiality rules are more likely to have patients who repot their symptoms honestly. This makes it easier for doctors to make better informed decisions, more accurate diagnosis. And authorized treatment plan that leads to better health outcomes.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The term confidentiality in health care is referred as the obligation of professionals who have access to patients’ records or communication to hold that information in confidence (Adeleke 2011). Patients’ record consists of personal discussion with the members of health care team which ought not to be divulged to third party. The health care providers by all means should maintain the oaths. It is quite unfortunate that up till today patients are still allowed to handle their case folder in some of our health institutions, some of our health sectors are using exercise books for documentation all these challenges here by necessitate the research to dig out health workers to know what confidentiality of patient record is all about and probably if they are putting it into practice
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This study will be of utmost importance to health workers and health care providers as researcher intends to proffer suggestions on ways that will help the workers to know the importance of confidentiality in the health sector, this will help the workers to know the importance of confidentiality in health sector, this will help to minimize the incidence of leakage of patients sensitive information. Looking at this trend in the health care sector, where health workers give little or no regards to the confidentiality or privacy of patient record.
1.4 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of this this research is to create knowledge and awareness of confidentiality of patients’ record among health workers in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Kwara State. The specific objectives are as follows;
- To ascertain the knowledge of confidentiality of patient record among health workers in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Kwara State.
- To assess the level of knowledge and awareness of confidentiality of patients record among health workers of University in Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Kwara State.
- To identify reasons why the confidentiality of patient record should be taken seriously among health workers of University in Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Kwara State.
- To assess the factors that influence unauthorized release of patients’ information among health workers of University in Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Kwara State.
- To determine factors that affect the knowledge of confidentiality of patients record among health workers of University in Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Kwara State.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
- Are health workers in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital fully aware of confidentiality of patients’ record?
- What is the level of awareness of keeping confidentiality of patients’ among health workers in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital as regards to confidentiality?
- Are patients’ confidentiality being maintained and taking with seriousness in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital?
- What are the factors that affect that influence unauthorized release of patients’ information among health workers in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital?
- What are the factors that affect knowledge of keeping the confidentiality of patients’ record among health workers in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study focused on the health workers in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, samples are selected from health record department, nurses department, laboratory and doctors, this is done basically to find out the knowledge and awareness of confidentiality of patients’ record and as well to find out the factors that inhibits the implementation.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- KNOWLEDGE: is the fact of knowing about something; general understanding and familiarity with a subject, place or situation
- AWARENESS: Is the state or level of consciousness where sense data can be confirmed by an observer.
- CONFIDENTIALITY: is the protection of personal information it simply means keeping client information. Between you and the client and not revealing it to others.
- 4. PATIENTS RECORDS: they are collection of documents that provides an account of each episode in which a patient visits or sought treatment and received care of a referral for care from a health care facility.
- HEALTH WORKERS: they are people who work in hospital or health care center whose job is to protect and improve the health of their communities.
- PERSONAL INFORMATION: is any piece of information that relates to a living identifiable human being such as Name, contact details, address e.t.c.
- BREACH: is to violate or go against instruction.
- DIVULGE: isn’t tell a secrete so that it may become generally known.
- RECKONING: The action of catching or estimated something.
- INFRINGEMENT: to break or violate a treaty, a right, a law etc.
- NOTIFIABLE DISEASE: They are diseases that can be notified or noticed.
- SUBPOENA: a write requiring someone to appear in court to give testimony.
- OUTWEIGH: to exceed in importance of value.
- ANONYMIZED: To remove data that will establish the identity of a person.
- INTEGRITY OF RECORDS: to ensure that information is not altered by unauthorized person in a way that is not detectable by authorized users.
- HIPAA: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Full Project – Knowledge and awareness of confidentiality of patients record among health worker