Full Project – INFLUENCE OF PARENTING CHILDREARING STYLE ON IN-SCHOOL ADOLESCENT DEVIANT BEHAVIOR IN IKEJA METROPOLIS
Background of the Study
Education is the medium by which an individual achieves success in his/her life, in the society and in the world, and it lays the foundation of personality (Kumar, 2017). According to the Mauritian Ministry of Education and Human Resources (2014), the secondary school provides an education that enables the fulfilment of the four pillars of the Delors Report, namely learning to know, learning to do, learning to be, and learning to live together. It should also provide the adolescent student with the necessary skills that allow him/her to adjust easily and smoothly to the rapid physical, emotional, mental and social changes (Garcia & Santiago, 2017).
Indeed, every child is unique in itself and has its own pace of growth and development. As the child grows up, his emotions and social functioning changes and continues till adolescence. Adolescence is that critical period of human development during which rapid biological, psychological and social changes take place. This period marks the end of childhood and sets the foundation for maturity. Adolescence is defined as the period of transition between childhood to adulthood that involves biological, cognitive, and socio-emotional changes. During this period, parents expect more self-regulation and initiative at the very time that their early teenagers are beginning to experiment with all kinds of risky behaviors (Barber, 2002). Anecdotal evidence and self-report data suggest that, children seem to become progressively self-conscious and concerned with other people’s opinions as they go through puberty and the period of adolescence (Steinberg, 2011).
Adolescents begin to assert more autonomous control over their decisions, emotions and actions, and start to disengage from parental control. At the same time, the school context involves an intense socialization process during which adolescents become increasingly aware of the perspectives of classmates, teachers and other societal influences (Berzonsky and Adams, 2003). Right from infancy, children learn and acquire traits and behaviours that they exhibit throughout their life time. During socialization, parents and significant others in the society endeavour to form children in such a way as to make them acquire worthwhile virtues cherished by the society. It is believed that there are some roles that are better performed by parents which children tend to accept most readily than any other person in their life. Since parental roles are essentially formative, their influence in the socialization of children cannot be over-emphasized. Researchers are of the view that the type of family a child comes from and the parenting style of the child’s parents is likely to influence the child’s social behaviour (Olds & Papilia, 2011; Baltus, 2012). One of the basic components of the society is the family. The family is the first institution of the socialization and from where the child learns cooperation and other social skills. This is the first family unit for the child.
According to Macionis & Plummer (2007), a family unit is a social group of two or more people related by blood or adoption that usually live together. Individuals are born into a family. Eke (2000) defined a family as a social unit or group characterized by common residence, economic co-operation and reproduction. The family therefore includes adults of both sexes, two of whom maintain a socially approved sexual relationship with one or more children biologically owned or adopted. Berndth (2007) stated that, the single parent family has been one of the fastest growing types in most parts of the world. Single parent family has come into existence as a result of divorce, dissertation, death, separation and out-of-wedlock births. Children from such families may suffer from guilt and loneliness, feelings of anger to mention a few. Young ones in single parent families’ contend with intense emotions due to their parents’ abrupt departure or death. For many adolescents, the absence of one of the parent’s seems to have profound negative effect on them. Another family type is the stepparent family, Berndit (2007) pointed out that, this type of family comes into existence as a result of either a parent’s divorce or death. He further stated that children in this type of family are found not to be well adjusted at school. They manifest behaviour problems and perform poorly at school, and their behaviour is like those of single parent families. The Children tend to react negatively if one of their divorced parents remarries and they become part of a new family described as step family. Problem arises because children at this stage of development are expected to be under authority to be carefully monitored. Also in step parent’s family, monitoring is inadequate; the children suffer from a number of behavioural disorders (Berndit, 2007).
Parenting styles are persistent approaches, strategies and standards parents use in bringing up their children. They involve how parents respond to children’s psychological and material needs, and what parents’ demands from their children. Parenting styles are unique and evolve as children develop their personalities (Eriega, 2014; Collins as cited in Olds and Papilia, 2011). Most of the studies on parenting styles have emphasized that the kind of parenting style adopted by parents has monumental impact on children’s attitude, academic achievement, social life and career choice (Maccoby & Martin 2013). This underscores why children raised in entirely different environments with the same kind of parenting tend to exhibit similar characteristics and behaviours. Different parenting styles produce different characteristic traits of children including those demonstrated at school. Research suggests that parenting styles and the quality of a parent and adolescent relationship may have an impact on the social development of adolescents.
An adolescent’s emotions, autonomy, achievement, and identity are all brought about by the parenting style adopted by the adolescent’s parent. The manner in which children are raised is crucial to their total development. The way parents respond to children’s needs and relate with them has a tremendous impact in the development of their personality and their interaction with society resulting to deviant behaviour. Angel (2015) opined that deviant behaviour is any behaviour that lacks conformity and acceptability of people in the society.
Deviant behaviour describes an action or behaviour that significantly contravene from the accepted or prescribed norms of a given society or school. It is a deviation that attracts punishment or sanctions in the society or school. Diche (2016) posited that deviant behaviour is a behaviour that violates the laid down rules and regulations of a given organization or group. He also emphasize that deviant behaviour is a common phenomenon in the life of every human being but, stress that it is rampant among students in schools which has led them in joining secrets cults, and other heinous crimes in the school. Against this background, this study examines the influence of parenting childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant bevehaviour in Ikeja Metropolis of Lagos State
Statement of the Problem
Overtime, it is observed that majority of children are engage in deviant behaviour due to parenting childrearing styles of many homes. It is on the duty of every reasonable parent to address the changing behaviour of their children. High increase in deviant behaviour high rate of early school dropouts in both girls and boys, increase in street children and high rate of crime, both in towns and rural settings, can be linked to poor parental childrearing in the early child development (White, 2000). It was also established that majority of the children involved in deviant behaviour, seem to be either staying alone or may be staying far from their families, with their peers. Additionally, they also opt to engage in detrimental lifestyles of drugs, alcoholism, and sexual crimes.
Melgosa, (2002) noted that alcoholic parents with criminal behaviour are strict, too lax or inconsistent with problematic relationships which favour delinquent behaviour in children. Few attempts have been made to clearly outline the major causal factors. Legal framework to substitute the ban on corporal punishment as the problem of indiscipline among students is getting out of hand (Kweyu, 2006.). Little however, has been done to identify the most significant factors, which would enable advocates to arrive at more comprehensive measures to address the problem. Additionally, little research has been done on parenting styles as a factor in deviant behaviour in Nigeria. Since children’s behaviour is greatly influenced by others (parents, teachers and peers). The gap this study intends to fill is that little studies have carried out in Ikeja metropolis on aspect of parenting childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant behaviour. Against this background, this study examines the influence of parenting childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant bevehaviour in Ikeja Metropolis of Lagos State.
The following research questions were formulated to guide the study.
- What is the influence of parental childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant bevehaviour?
- Is there any significant difference in influence of parental childrearing values expected of adolescent against deviant bevehaviour on bases of gender?
- Is there any significant difference in influence of parental childrearing values expected of adolescent against deviant bevehaviour on bases of education qualification?
- Is there any significant difference in influence of parental childrearing values expected of adolescent against deviant bevehaviour on bases of age?
- Is there any significant difference in influence of parental childrearing values expected of adolescent against deviant bevehaviour on bases of type of school
- Is there any significant difference in influence of parental childrearing values expected of adolescent against deviant bevehaviour on bases of type of family?
In other to examine the influence of parenting childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant bevehaviour in Ikeja Metropolis of Lagos State. The following null hypotheses are formulated to guide the study.
1: There is no significance difference in the influence of parental childrearing-on-in-school adolescent of deviant bevehaviour on the basis of gender.
2: There is no significance difference in the influence of parental childrearing on-in-school adolescent of deviant bevehaviour in Ikeja Metropolis of Lagos State on the bases of qualification
- There is no significance difference in the influence of parental childrearing in-on -school adolescent of deviant bevehaviour on the basis of type of school
- There is no significance difference in the influence of parental childrearing in-on -school adolescent of deviant bevehaviour based on age
- There is no significance difference in influence of parental childrearing values expected of adolescent against deviant bevehaviour on bases of type of family
Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of this study is to examine the influence of parenting childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant bevehaviour in Ikeja Metropolis of Lagos State.
Significance of the Study
The findings of this study would be useful to parents, students, government, counselors and those that see parental childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant behaviour as an important element.
The finding will help parents to understand why it is crucial to train and moderate children behaviour so as to prevent them from being involved in deviant behaviour when they grow up. Looking at the crime statistics, it appears to be on the upward trend and this would be worrying both to the parents and Government authorities. The study would therefore help in equipping and provide knowledge and skills to parents in order to assist them in effective parenting. It would also provide parents with theoretical framework on issues related to parental childrearing styles on deviant behaviour of children.
Moreover, the outcome of the study would be useful to students from an act such as deviant activities and behaviour against parental styles in Ikeja Metropolis. The finding of this study would also serve as instrument for counselors to use in solving problems relating to parental childrearing on in- school adolescent deviant behavior among students in Ikeja Metropolis and beyond. i.e it will help to create discipline in the life of adolescents. When this is done there will be sanity, peace and order, which will enhance the moral tone of the school as well as the society. It will also help the counselor to know the right technique to adopt in modifying negative deviant behaviou. To the teacher-the teacher will equally benefits from the finding of the study because the finding will help them know what is expected of them as they are role model.
Finally, the finding of this study would be useful to government on the need to put in place mechanisms that would prevent deviant behaviour among adolescent on parental childrearing styles in Ikeja metropolis. Finally, the results of the work will be of great help to future researchers. This will be a source of research materials or empirical data for them
Scope of the Study
This study covers the influence of parental childrearing styles on in-school adolescent deviant bevehaviour in Ikeja Metropolis of Lagos State. Parent and adolescent in Ikeja metropolis would be used for the study. Different parental styles, accepted bahavioural values and people to consult in development of better behaviour on in-school adolescent deviant behaviour would be covered in the study. The population for this study parents and adolescent in Ikeja Metropolis. Due to the nature of this study, the actual population could not be ascertaining as the target population are in different place and some may not to what to be available for the study. Simple random sampling technique would be use to select 100 people for the study
Operational Definition of Terms
Parental styles: Parenting styles are persistent approaches, strategies and standards parents use in bringing up their children in Ikeja Metropolis
Adolescence: Adolescence is defined as the period of transition between childhood to adulthood that involves biological, cognitive, and socio-emotional changes in Ikeja Metropolis
Deviant behaviour: Deviant behaviour is any behaviour that lacks conformity and acceptability of people in the society
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria