Full Project – FACTORS INFLUENCING CHOICE OF PHYSICS IN PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA
The study examined “factors influencing choice of physics in public secondary schools in Nigeria”. The study objectives are to: find out how student’s attitude to physics hinder their enrollment in physics; find out if physics teachers’ method of teaching hinder students’ enrollment in physics; examine the schools factors which tend to hinder student’s interest in the study of physics; determine if parents influence on their wards’ choice of subjects at secondary school contributes to poor students’ enrollment of students in physics; and find out the societal factors which tend to contribute to poor enrollment of students in physics in secondary school. The study employed the descriptive survey design. The nature of the problem was duly considered in the study. The research design used for this study is the survey design. The reason why this design was adopted was because the researcher would make use of the primary data obtained through the questionnaire. The study population comprises of physics students, physics teachers in the Education zone. The area of the study is Aguata Education zone in Anambra state. Simple random sampling technique was adopted for the study. The research instrument used was questionnaire. The data collected was analyzed using simple Chi Square Statistics. The study recommended that Physics teachers should make physics class more interesting by making use of different teaching methods that will arouse and sustain students’ interest in the subject. The study also recommended that Government should create job opportunities for physics graduates to encourage more students to offer the subject. The study concludes that Parents influences on their wards’ choice of subject at secondary school and societal factors such as lack of encouragement from the society to the female studying physics and inadequate employment opportunity for physics graduates discourages students from enrolling in physics.
1.1 Background of the study
Physic is amongst old academic disciplines that still survive the test of time. It emerged as a unique program of its own during the scientific revolution in the 17th century from natural philosophy alongside objects such as Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics etc. physics is one of the science subject taught at senior secondary level of education in Nigeria. It is a fundamental science. It is essential for all science-related disciplines and vital for modern technologies. Most landmark success record in the quest to uncover hidden fact about the universe originated from physics field. The study of physics covered a wide range of knowledge. It is concerned with all aspects of nature, covering the behavior of bodies under the action of certain forces be it natural such as gravitational, frictional, nuclear forces or man-made such as push, pull, frictional forces etc. It borders on studying of fundamental/natural principles and theories involved in transforming scientific knowledge into technological innovations to ameliorate global challenges in all facets of life.
By definition, physics is a natural science that involves the study of matter and its motion through space and time, along with related concepts such as energy and force. Many authors have described physics in a unique way. Serway, and Jewelt (2004) described physics as a fundamental physical science concerned with the basic principles of universe; a foundation upon which other sciences are based. Sci-Tech Encyclopedia ( 2012) defined physics as a body of subjects responsible for explaining all discernible phenomena in nature. According to Wikipedia (2012), physics is a natural science which relies on experimental data among other things in making explanations and predictions about our environment. International union of pure and applied physics, IUPAP (2009) adopted that physics is the study of matter and energy and their interactions is an international enterprise, which plays a key role in the future progress of human-race.
Scientist of all disciplines and sometimes non-scientists make use of the ideas of physics. Physics is also the foundation of all engineering and technology. No man-made physical materials could be designed without first understanding the basic principles involved. Many pleasurable products ranging from automobiles and information and communications equipment to improved health system have their roots in ground-breaking discoveries made in the field science which physics is one of the bedrock subjects. Physics transverse disciplines. Its boundaries are not rigidly defined with other subject areas in sciences. Every occurrence in the universe obeys the physical laws and physical laws are laws of physics. Physics holds an important position in advancement of science and technology. The difference between developed and developing countries lies on the practice of science and technology, as developed world are readily applying scientific wisdom in problem solving, developing countries are doing little or nothing in the area of science and technology. Physics is a force to reckon with in this difference. Young and freeman (1996) remarked, ‘’the study of physics is an adventure. You will find it challenging, sometimes frustrating, occasionally painful, and often richly rewarding and satisfying.” Our present understanding of the physical world has been built on the foundations laid by scientific giants of past and contemporary such as Galileo, Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, and host of others. Physics matters so much in our life, its study has profoundly, influenced the ways in which we live and think. Physics is an exciting intellectual advert that inspires and propels expanding frontiers of mankind knowledge about our environment. It garners basic information required for now-and-future technologies which directly or indirectly accelerates the economy of a nation. The role physics education plays transcends its field. Its study has answered a lot of questions that had puzzled human race for centuries. The concepts of space and time, thunder and lightning, rainbow, eclipse, unidentified flying objects (UFOs) day and night, earthquake, hurricane etc are no longer mystery to mankind as a result of studies in sciences and related disciplines.
Undoubtedly, physics may be viewed as the hub of sciences. Its relevant can never be over emphasized in today’s modern day life. However, it is quite disheartening that a survey into schools both secondary and tertiary institutions showed a continual decline in the number of students into the study of physics. This is sad news. Findings over decades now show that physics is one of the subjects with low enrollment rate when compared with other science disciplines in Universities, polytechnics and colleges of education Onalue (2005). The reasons why few students now offer physics in secondary schools as against unprecedented number of students studying other sciences and social sciences and the effects are the tasks this work is set to achieve.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
It is worrisome to both physicists and educational researchers of the plight that bedevil the study of physics education in Nigeria. Numerous factors may be responsible for this low enrollment of physics in secondary school education. These factors are outlined below.
- There are steady decrease in the number of capable manpower (teachers) needed to teach the subject.
- Graduates from tertiary institutions around the country are mostly half-baked and this innovations in the field of science (especially in physics) are greatly jeopardized presently.
- There is total decay in infrastructural amenities in schools in most part of the country. Science equipment and other material resources that should be made available for the study of physics and other sciences are unavailable.
- High rate of scientiaphobia exist among students. Even primary school pupils are not left behind hence, interest in science subjects (especially physics) at tender age are inhibited.
- Poor teaching approach in teaching sciences especially physics by teachers that are not specialist of the subject; poor motivation and unconducive working environment among other problems.
1.3 Purpose of the study
The purpose of this research work is to investigate on the factors influencing choice of physics in public secondary schools. The work will also seek to find out the contributions of students, parents, schools and society to this deplorable situation facing the study of physics in our secondary schools. The other objectives are:
- To find out how student’s attitude to physics hinder their enrollment in physics.
- To find out if physics teachers’ method of teaching hinder students’ enrollment in physics.
- To examine the schools factors which tend to hinder student’s interest in the study of physics.
- To determine if parents influence on their wards’ choice of subjects at secondary school contributes to poor students’ enrollment of students in physics.
- To find out the societal factors which tend to contribute to poor enrollment of students in physics in secondary school.
1.4 Research questions
In order to make the research work successful, the following research questions were raised.
- Does student’s attitude to physics hinder their enrollment in physics?
- Does physics teachers’ method of teaching hinder students’ enrollment in physics?
- What are the schools factors which tend to hinder student’s interest in the study of physics?
- Do parents influence on their wards’ choice of subjects at secondary school contributes to poor students’ enrollment of students in physics?
- Are there same societal factors which tend to contribute to poor enrollment of students in physics in secondary school?
1.5 Scope of the study
The research covers all the secondary schools in Aguata Educational Zone of Anambra State and is intended to determine the causes and effect of low enrollment of physics in secondary school education.
1.6 Significant of the study
The findings of this research work will generate reliable information stakeholders in physics education would utilize in formulating polices that will positively improve and encourage the study of physics particularly at secondary school level.
Also the outcome of the work will be very useful to science teachers especially physics teachers because the direct implementation of education polices rest on then.
Lastly, the result of the research will provide parents and guidance with information on how to motivate and encourage their wards to see reasons why they should, study practical oriented subjects (like physics) in this current dispensation where unemployment is the talk of the day.
Operational Definition of Terms
Choice: A choice is an act of choosing something from multiple options or is one of the options you can choose from.
Performance: A performance is an act of staging or presenting a play, concert, or other form of entertainment. It is also defined as the action or process of carrying out or accomplishing an action, task, or function.
Attitude: A predisposition or a tendency to respond positively or negatively towards a certain idea, object, person, or situation.
Classroom: A room or place especially in a school in which classes are conducted.
Influence: Influence is the action or process of producing effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of another or others.
Physics: Physics is the natural science that studies matter, its motion and behavior through space and time, and the related entities of energy and force. Physics is one of the most fundamental scientific disciplines, and its main goal is to understand how the universe behaves.
Student: A person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college; pupil
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria