Full Project – Design and implementation of an audio file security using steganography
Computer security, also known as cybersecurity or IT security, is the protection of computer systems from the theft and damage to their hardware, software or information, as well as from disruption or misdirection of the services they provide. One of the aspects of computer security that forms the subject of discussion in the research project is audio file security. Audio file security is the process and activities involved in keeping audio data secured. This includes making regular backups of files (backup copies should be stored in fireproof safes or in another building) protecting the file against viruses by running anti-virus software, Using a system of passwords so that access to data is restricted.
There has been continuous quest among computer users to secure and improve the security of the computer and its resources. Tools upon tools have been fashioned and designed by man to help him conquer problems and challenges of file insecurity and theft. This prompted the researcher to embark on a project to develop software that will protect the computer system and secure the resource of the computer from the attacks by hackers. To this end, firewall software is designed by the researcher to manage and secure your operations of the computer system from being attacked by hackers.
This research focuses on the security of a particular computer information resource known as an audio file. Digital multimedia data precisely audio file provides a robust and easy editing and modification of data. The data can be delivered over computer networks with to no and often without interference and can be copied without any loss in quality and content. Unfortunately, this makes digital media distribution insecure and raises concern for digital content owners. This poses a big problem for the protection of intellectual information.
1.2 Background of the study
There are many computerized techniques for achieving this. The earliest method of audio file security is the use of an authentication technique. Authentication which is the act of confirming the truth of an attribute of a single piece of data (a datum) claimed true by an entity was adopted initially for file security. The main problem with this technique is that most times authorized users are denied access to the audio file when they forget the audio file password.
Along the line, cryptography emerged which entails formatting information in a form that is not understandable to an intruding third party. However, cryptography poses some inefficiency in the sense that the intruding third party can discover the exchange of information and can either destroy the encrypted message or used sophisticated cryptanalysis tools to decrypt the message.
It is upon this background that this research work was initiated to demonstrate how steganographic technique can be adopted as a solution to the problem of audio file insecurity. Steganography is the practice of concealing a file, message, image, or video within another file, message, image, or video. The word steganography combines the Greek words steganos meaning “covered, concealed, or protected,” and graphein meaning “writing”. The first recorded use of the term was in 1499 by Johannes Trithemius in his Steganographia, a treatise on cryptography and steganography, disguised as a book on magic. Generally, the hidden messages appear to be (or be part of) something else: images, articles, shopping lists, or some other cover text. For example, the hidden message may be in invisible ink between the visible lines of a private letter. Some implementations of steganography that lack a shared secret are forms of security through obscurity, and key-dependent steganographic schemes adhere to Kerckhoffs’s principle.
The advantage of steganography over cryptography alone is that the intended secret message does not attract attention to itself as an object of scrutiny. Plainly visible encrypted messages, no matter how unbreakable they are, arouse interest and may in themselves be incriminating in countries in which encryption is illegal.
Whereas cryptography is the practice of protecting the contents of a message alone, steganography is concerned with concealing the fact that a secret message is being sent as well as concealing the contents of the message. Steganography includes the concealment of information within computer files. In digital steganography, electronic communications may include steganographic coding inside of a transport layer, such as a document file, image file, program or protocol. Media files are ideal for steganographic transmission because of their large size. For example, a sender might start with an innocuous image file and adjust the color of every hundredth pixel to correspond to a letter in the alphabet. The change is so subtle that someone who is not specifically looking for it is unlikely to notice the change.
- Statement of The Problem
With the arrival of the internet a few years ago, there was a wide increase in data communication and sharing of information over networks. With time the security of this information, especially the audio file became an issue. Some of the problems associated with the existing methods of securing audio file while on transit are as followed:
- Poor level of data protection using authentication with username and password.
- Insecurity of audio file as third parties can have access to information during the communication process.
- Cryptography and other data hiding methods have security lapses in the sense that the intruding third party can discover the exchange of information.
- Third party can discover secret information and destroy it
- Cryptanalysis tools can decrypt encrypted messages
- Aim and objectives of the Study
The aim of this project is to develop an automated audio file hiding system that can encode secret messages-p into an audio file using a steganographic technique.
- To block intruding third party from noticing an exchange of information, hence keeping them from having access to information during the communication process.
- To develop a system for converting an audio file to other form as well to encode text data into files with a key.
- The develop techniques for encoding and decoding the message using a key and save the audio file.
- To develop ensure cryptanalysis tools can not decrypt the encrypted messages using steganography.
- Significance of the Study
Former methods consist of linguistic or language forms of hidden writing. The later, such as invisible ink, try to hiding message physically. One disadvantage of linguistic steganography are that users must equip themselves to have a good knowledge of linguistics. In recent years, everything is trending toward digitization. And with the development of internet technology, digital media can be transmitted conveniently over the network. Therefore, messages can be Secretly carried by digital media by using the steganography techniques and then be transmitted through the internet rapidly.
- Scope of the Study
This project is developed for hiding information in any file. The scope of the project is the implementation of steganography tools for hiding only audio information. A project of this magnitude is supposed to cover all forms of audio file security but due to time and financial constraints, it was limited to. The work encompasses the uploading of an existing audio file and converting it into a form such as text or file format. It covers the hiding data in Audio file. Hide information using pure Steganography. It also covers formulation of an algorithm based on data hidden technique in the audio and the develop a system based on the algorithm established above.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
A lot of factors tried to hinder the completion of this project. Some of the factors that fought against the successful completion of this work are discussed below:
- Limited information and knowledge: Most people are unaware of computer security issues and this lead to limited knowledge and information. During the literature review, there were limited books and professional journals on this topic. The staff in current environment of this research refused to release information about the reservation database to the researcher, due to some organization policies.
- Limited Financial resource: For projects to be executed properly it needs funding. The researcher could have implemented the design using better security gadgets and reviewed so many more security related technologies but due to a limited fund, the research was limited.
- Insufficient Power Supply: Another factor the militated the success of this work is the insufficient power supply. The desktop computer used for typing this project as well as for writing the computer needs constant power supply. Incessant power outage affected the speed with which could have completed the work and the scope covered during the coding of the software.
- Definition of Terms
Steganography: is the study of detecting message hidden using steganography this is analogous to cryptanalysis applied to cryptography
Watermarking: is the process of hiding digital information in a carrier signal, the hidden information should, but does not need to, contain a relation to the carrier signal. Digital watermarking may be used to verify the authenticity or integrity of the carrier signal or to show the identity of its owners.
Bit: it is the basic unit of information in computing and digital communications A bit can have only one or two values, and may, therefore, be physically implemented with a two-state device. These values are most commonly represented as either a 0 or 1. The term bit is a portmanteau of binary digit.
Secret message: refers to the part of the message which is intended to be hidden.
Cover Data: refers to the container in which the secret message is hidden. This cover data component can be anything like digital photos, digital videos, audio files and text files.
Stego Message: refers to the final product.
Steganogram: A secret data
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for international clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Full Project – Design and implementation of an audio file security using steganography