Full Project-BANK FRAUD AND ITS EFFECTS ON NIGERIAN’S ECONOMY
BANK FRAUD AND ITS EFFECTS ON NIGERIAN’S ECONOMY
Cases of frauds and foreign in banks have not only become incessant but have also been on the increase in recent years. Although frauds and foreign in banks are global phenomena, their growth in Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporations (NDIC) annual report for instance, presents a disturbing picture of rising trends of fraud in banks from N360.2 million in 1992 to N351.9 million in 1991. The amount unloved in frauds in commercial banks alone rose to N1, 377.15 million in 1993, whereas the actual expected loss rose from N64.8 million to N241.0 million. Fraud, in banks is clearly unacceptably something’s drastic ought to be done to gently stem the tide in view of its image implications for the banking industry and the adverse effects it will have on the economy. The study emerges in response to this development. In carrying out this research work, questionnaires were distributed to the respondents for their reactions. Equally oral interviews were also carried out and some texts written by eminent scholars were consulted. The researcher believed all these would give enough information for a sound report. This study therefore seeks to identify the causes and effects of book fraud. After analyzing the returned 25 questionnaire distributed to the staff of Afribank Nigeria PLC Enugu, the following findings were made:
1. No internal control system is 100% errors proof but the internal control system of banks can be designed to make the perpetration of fraud difficult.
2. Non-periodic review of work by bank management gives loophole and the tendency to commit fraud in the industry.
3. The law enforcement agencies of the countries fail to deal seriously with the bank fraud sters apprehended and handed over to them.
Based on these, the following recommendation were made:
1. The use of close circuit television surveillance should be commencing in all banks.
2. Bank should ensure that computer operator’s passwords are kept in safe hands.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The level of fraud in the present day Nigeria has assumed on epidemic dimension. It has eaten deep into every aspect of our life to the extent that a three years old child talks about 419, the name given to the newly discovered fees fraud that is hunting us a nation. Fraud is defined as “deceit or tricking deliberately practiced in order to gain some advantages dishonestly.” For an action to constitute fraud therefore there must be a dishonest intention and the action must be intended to benefit the perpetrator to the detriment of another person. Going by this definition, frauds in the Nigeria economy cannot be restricted to the banks alone. Although frauds cut across all sectors of the economy and that size of an enterprises usually determines the volume of frauds perpetrated, such problems as inadequate manpower, poor internal control system, inadequate incentives and unsuitable legal framework for dealing with offenders, downturn in the economy, recognition being accorded the wealthy people regardless of their sources of wealth play a major role in the perpetration of frauds.
The fear now is the threats which this devilish and unscrupulous act will pose to the stability and survival of individual financial institution and the performance of the industry as a whole for one things, frauds result in huge financial losses to financial institutions and their customers, depletion of shareholders frauds and capital base as well as loss of confidence in financial institutions. Frauds and foreign also have negative effect on the banking industry. Today, various banks cannot withstand the growing pressure of competition among various banks due to the monster called bank frauds. Equally, the confidence place on banks are fast eroding because some people new prefer keeping their money at their homes instead of keeping them in the banks. The fear is now… that if this act is not arrested, it might deplete our resources because foreign investors might not find it wise to transact business via our banks.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
The problems of this research work will revolve around finding out the continuous cases of bank frauds in virtually all banks and other financial institution. Other problems include why banks have not been able to find solution that will help in curbing the banks and financial institutions frauds. Furthermore, the research is aimed at finding the economic effects of frauds to the total economy of the nation, and the consequences of these frauds to our international relationship on global market economy.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to identify the efforts of government and its agencies in the prevention and control of fraud. By so doing, one would have emphasized the tripartite segments involved in fighting this economic crime which is threatening the very foundation of the financial system. To be able to do this, this research seek to identify the following:
a.The causes of banks fraud in Nigeria.
b.The nature of bank frauds.
c.The extent of bank fraud in Nigeria and
d.Ways of minimizing or eliminating bank fraud in Nigeria.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following research questions guided this study:
1.Does lack of effective internal control lead to banking fraud?
2.Does lack of enough motivation or incentive causes banking fraud?
3.Is bank fraud common in all banks?
4.Do societal values contribute to bank fraud?
5.Do bank frauds contribute to the dwindling economy fortune of our country?
1.5 SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
The research work will be beneficial to bank and financial institutions who are directly facing extrication as a result of financial losses due to fraud. It will also be beneficial to the government and other public factors who are gradually bank confidence in banks, and the customers banks relationship that are greatly hampered as a result of frauds. This project will also be beneficial to the general public who are losing huge sums of money to banks that are declared distress without adequate compensation. It will enable them know the various ways frauds are perpetrated. This can give them on insight to detect frauds easily. The general public will also benefit, as this will enable them know the role of the organizations or the management in checking frauds.
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS
Bank fraud and its effects on our economy, is an extensive topic that may involve commercial banks and community banks. The researcher would like to touch all aspects of banking activities, but for want of time and financial constraints, the researcher limits his work to frauds in the commercial banks especially Afribank Nigeria PLC Enugu. Most importantly, records and publications could be reached easily and frauds traced in the commercial banks than other banks. Though the writer dwell a little into fraud in merchant Banks emphasis is place more on commercial banks.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria