Full Project – AN ASSESSMENT OF EXAMINATION MISCONDUCT ON TERTIARY EDUCATION SYSTEM IN NIGERIA
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Examination has been generally accepted as the best means of assessment. It is a formal test of knowledge or ability. Infact, in a school setting, examination is a means of evaluating the quantity of knowledge a student has acquired within a specific period of time. Adekunle (2003) sees examination as an instrument used for the assessment of individual skills and knowledge-content, both in general and specific area of study. Additionally, common observations in the state shows that examination misconduct occur mostly in higher Institutions. Examination misconduct occur in both internal and external examination which is almost a routine to cheat in these examinations.
Teaching and learning become more effective when the students are subjected to an examination process to determine the extent to which the students have assimilated the content of the instruction given and the lecturer can also assess himself from the performance of the students. In essence, examinations are used to determine pass or fail of a student or group of students in the opinion. History seems to support the view that setting children against one another in trials and competitions has always been a respectable means of inciting them of deal’’. A student who knows that he might fall on examination which will in turn determine his progress or promotion will strive hard in order to pass. This once more encourages kind of competition within groups of students who will dim at nigh position in their classes.
Examinations are also used for academic stratification or for assigning grades to students. For decade, the West Africa Examination Council awards results on the basis of some stratification’s and three. The contemporary practice of (N.C.E). Students are stratified into distinction, credit merit and pass, while in the university also, students are stratified into first, second (upper and lower) or third class degrees having gone through an examination. These grades are a measure of success and prestige. A child with a division one pass in school certificate examination will be regarded by those around him as academically precocious. He is also likely to have a place in the institution of higher learning or in job situation within the society easier than a child with a division three pass. All these conditions have combined to influence a child’s attitude to an examination; attitude which always colonnade in an urge for success in any particular examination whether or not he had prepared for it. These competitions in school have their parallel in the society.
Unfortunately, this all important means of assessing students has become ineffective as all forms of malpractice have been introduced into the system. Adesina (2000) traced the history of examination malpractice in Nigeria to 1914. When there was a leakage of the Cambridge examination. Cheating became widespread in schools hence in 1967, the Alexander Commission was set up as a special commission of inquiry to investigate the incidences of malpractice in Nigeria.
In 1977, there was a widespread leakage of the West Africa School Certificate Examination questions. Government took it as a challenge to address issues of examination malpractice. A special conference was held in that regard at Ibadan in 1986. Decrees were promulgated, schools were sanctioned, results cancelled and invigilators arrested all in a bid to curb malpractice.
The irony of it all is that despite the several attempts made by school authorities, government agencies, parents and church leaders in trying to concentise the Nigerian students on the evils of examination malpractice, this menace is still in its increase in the various schools. There is the need to find out the causes and solutions of examination malpractice in Nigerian schools.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
From the background given to this study, it could be seen that examination plays an important role in our educational system as well as the society we live in but hones examinations are hard to find nowadays. Misconduct in examinations have been reported since 1914 when there was a leakage or question papers in the senior Cambridge local examination. Ever since, there have been cases of irregularities reported on a yearly basis. The statement of the problem therefore An assessment of examination misconduct on tertiary education system in Nigeria.
In order to be able to effectively investigate the main problems as stated above the following sub problems are to be investigated.
- What are the examination misconduct in Higher institutions in Yaba Local Government of Lagos State?
- What are the different factors involve in examination misconduct in Higher institutions in Yaba Local Government of Lagos State?
- What Conditions Sustain Examination Malpractice in Nigeria?
- What are the Dangers and Consequences of Examination Misconduct?
- What effects has examination misconduct on the students, the school and the society in general?
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
Examination misconduct have been on the increase since 1963’s, these misconduct indulgent learn new tactics or methods of the crime. The purpose of this study therefore is to investigate into some important expects of examination malpractice’s. This study will help specifically to find out:
- The reasons why students cheat at examinations.
- The method at student use in cheating at examination.
- The extent of the involvement of the society, lecturers, parents
and the students on the misconduct.
- The effect of examination malpractice’s on the students, the school and the society at large.
- The different factors involve in examination misconduct in Higher institutions in Yaba Local Government of Lagos State.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
On the basis of the problems, the following Research Questions were formulated:
- What causes examination malpractice in schools?
- What subjects are students likely to cheat in and why?
- How can examination malpractice be stopped?
- What strategies can be adopted to stop exam malpractice in schools?
- Are students unserious attitude towards studying hard enough are most likely to cause cheating in an examination?
- Is there relationship between student’s strong desire to succeed and violating examination norms?
- SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
This study will be significant in the following ways:
- It will be of immense benefit to all stakeholders in the educational circle.
- It is hoped that at the end of this study, the finding of the study will be very useful to Educators, students and the society at large in eliminating the barriers on Examination malpractice.
- The findings of this study will help expose the extent to which students, parents and lecturers are involved in examination misconduct.
- It is also hoped that the findings of this study will help to provide a remedy or a lasting solution to examination misconduct.
- It is expected that the research findings, will guide educators who can suggest ways of eliminating the sources of examination misconduct.
1.6 SCOPE AND DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study covered An assessment of examination misconduct on tertiary education system in Nigeria. And all the secondary lecturers and students in higher institutions in Yaba Local Government Area of Lagos State were used for the study.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study is limited to investigation of the Causes and solutions of Examination Malpractice in Selected Secondary School in Yaba Local Government Area of Lagos State as a case study of this research work.
1.8 OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF TERMS
Assessment: Are the systematic collection, review, and use of information about educational programs undertaken for the purpose of improving student learning and development. It is the process of gathering and discussing information from multiple and diverse sources in order to develop a deep understanding of what students know, understand, and can do with their knowledge as a result of their educational experiences; the process culminates when assessment results are used to improve subsequent learning. It is the systematic basis for making inferences about the learning and development of students. It is the process of defining, selecting, designing, collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and using information to increase students’ learning and development.
Examination: Examinations are used to determine pass or fail of a student or group of students in the opinion. Examinations are also used for academic stratification or for assigning grades to students. For decade, the West Africa Examination Council awards results on the basis of some stratification’s. Examinations are known to play very important roles in our educational system.
Malpractice: malpractice is an “instance of negligence or incompetence on the part of a professional”. Types include: medical malpractice (“A doctor’s failure to exercise the degree of care and skill that a physician or surgeon of the same medical specialty would use under similar circumstances.
Teaching: It can be defined by many scholars of education as “the promotion of learning”. Teaching is the art of impacting knowledge. It knows what to teach the learners and ways of imparting the knowledge in the most effective way possible. Teaching is also that important art that builds up the society by the way it is done, the area in which it is conducted and its cumulative effect on the life of the society. Teaching is a process of inducing learning, it is guiding someone to behave in a given or certain manner beneficial to himself and the society. Teaching is the process by which a lecturer guides the learners in the acquisition of knowledge, skills and attitudes. Teaching is essentially a system of interactions involving the lecturer, the learner and the learning materials, thus, forming a triangular interaction.
Learning: It can be defined as the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, study, or by being taught. Is the act, process, or experience of gaining knowledge or skill. Learning is a knowledge or skill gained through schooling or study. The activity or process of gaining knowledge or skill by studying, practicing, being taught, or experiencing something, the activity of someone who learns, knowledge or skill gained from learning, the activity or process of gaining knowledge or skill by studying, practicing, being taught, or experiencing something or is process of acquiring new, or modifying and reinforcing, existing knowledge, behaviors, skills, values, or preferences.
Get the Complete Project
This is a premium project material and the complete research project plus questionnaires and references can be gotten at an affordable rate of N3,000 for Nigerian clients and $8 for International clients.
You can also check other Research Project here:
- Accounting Research Project
- Adult Education
- Agricultural Science
- Banking & Finance
- Biblical Theology & CRS
- Biblical Theology and CRS
- Biology Education
- Business Administration
- Computer Engineering Project
- Computer Science 2
- Criminology Research Project
- Early Childhood Education
- Economic Education
- Education Research Project
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project
- English Education
- Environmental Sciences Research Project
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project
- History Education
- Human Kinetics and Health Education
- Maritime and Transportation
- Marketing Research Project 2
- Mass Communication
- Mathematics Education
- Medical Biochemistry Project
- Organizational Behaviour
- Other Projects
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health Research Project
- More Research Project
- Transportation Management
Need a Project Writer for a Different Topic
- MSC PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MBA RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- Research Project Writing Services in Lagos Nigeria (Professional Writers) -Law, MSc, MBA,PhD, Dissertations, Thesis, Assignment, Speech
- Masters Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- LOOKING FOR A WRITING SERVICES FOR AN URGENT ASSIGNMENTS OR PROJECT WORK
- PROFESSIONAL WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA (TERM PAPER, SPEECH WRITING, ASSIGNMENT, THESES, DISSERTATIONS, RESEARCH PROPOSAL, PROJECT WRITING SERVICES etc)
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- CONSULT A RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA (PH.D, MBA, MSC, M.ED, BSC)
- MANAGEMENT RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Environmental Sciences Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Guidance and Counselling Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Human Kinetics and Health Education Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Early Childhood Education Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Christian Religious Studies(CRS) Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Educational Administration and Planning Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Political Science Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Accounting Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Economics Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Management Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Marketing Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Public Administration Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- MBA Research Project Analysts
- In Need of MBA Research Project Writer in Nigeria
- MBA Dissertation Research Project Writer
- MBA Project writer
- EDUCATION DEPARTMENT PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (BSC) DEGREE PROJECT WRITING SERVICES(B.ED,B.A,B.SC)
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTER OF SCIENCE (MSC) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POST GRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD) RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- MASTER DEGREE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- MASTERS RESEARCH PROJECT WRITING SERVICES
- RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- EXPERT IN RESEARCH PROJECT/THESIS/DISSERTATION WRITING SERVICES IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL BSC/HND RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL MBA/MSC RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER
- HIRE A PROFESSIONAL THESIS WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- SC/M.SC/MBA/PGD RESEARCH PROJECT WRITER IN LAGOS NIGERIA
- Master Degree Research Project Specialist/Writer in Lagos, Nigeria
- Hire A Research Project Writer in Lagos Nigeria
- Research Project Specialist in Lagos, Nigeria
Full Project – AN ASSESSMENT OF EXAMINATION MISCONDUCT ON TERTIARY EDUCATION SYSTEM IN NIGERIA